• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Carry Gun

Kenne

Well its been 6 months since I haven't bought a gun. Well the withdrawals are over whelming and I'm looking for a new carry gun. Something lighter then my 4in 1911.
For me I have my CWP normally have my shirt hanging over but not trying to hide it.

I used a FN Five Seven before and was thinking about getting one.
Would be using a SS197SR round as its the slowest that you can buy at this time but will still do damage.

Any other ones I should look at.

My other option is a XDM 40

45acpForMe

I haven't shot a FN 5.7 pistol so I can't say how the recoil is so as far as self defense I don't know whether its recoil allows for faster follow up shots or not.

I lost interest in the pistol when I learned that the main feature of defeating bulletproof vests wasn't available to the general public via the restriction of sales of ammo. Without that it just seems like a .22 pistol with less capacity than the KelTec PMR. I don't know about ammo prices but I would think 5.7 ammo would be more expensive than .22 magnums. (ETA Although centerfire rounds are more reliable than rimfire)

So personally I would go with an XDm which in 40S&W has 16+1 rounds compared to the 20+1 of the FiveseveN.

There are many other good options though. :) Check out the FNX line of pistols. I have a FNP-45 (they changed the name to FNX) and I carry 15+1 of .45acp!

Last edited:

AngryBodhi

XDs and M&Ps are both fine polymer pistols. I'm partial to the Beretta PX4 Storm (never thought I'd openly admit to liking a Beretta) as I refuse to carry any gun without a manual safety. There is that "other" polymer pistol manufacturer, if you're into that sort of thing. :D