Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40

Thread: Open carry demonstration in Aurora?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    82

    Open carry demonstration in Aurora?

    Gun rights are about to go over the cliff....

    It would seem to me that an open carry demonstration is sorely needed in Aurora.
    What better action to take, in the name of the dead created by government. (In more than one way)
    The coverage from the alternative press could be huge.

  2. #2
    Regular Member O2HeN2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    232
    I haven't decided if this is a good idea or not, but I was thinking that standing on public property in front of a theater, openly carrying, with signs "I can't protect you in there anymore!" might have some effect.

    Good or bad I'm still debating!

    O2
    Last edited by O2HeN2; 07-23-2012 at 11:19 AM.
    When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
    They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
    Zero failures comes at infinite cost.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    82
    Give me a heads up and provide a written statement of facts, contact info, pictures, and video and I will pass it all along to the alternative media. I can almost guarantee you radio interviews on a few shows.

    I think it is the thing to do. I wish I could be there. I really do.
    Perhaps I can interest the Open Carry people in this area to do a demonstration
    here in defense of the people that died in Aurora. I am going to do some inquiries and
    make some posts right now.

    Perhaps for PR purposes an open carry vigil would be more appropriate term, and the same messages could be conveyed
    and it would be construed perhaps as more respectful.
    Last edited by tittiger; 07-23-2012 at 12:15 PM.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Avon, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    53
    I think we may be okay on the gun rights front.

    "Tougher gun laws would not have stopped shooter" - J. Hickenlooper

    http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...t-have-stopped

  5. #5
    Regular Member Scotsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Saudi Aurora
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by tittiger View Post
    Give me a heads up and provide a written statement of facts, contact info, pictures, and video and I will pass it all along to the alternative media. I can almost guarantee you radio interviews on a few shows.

    I think it is the thing to do. I wish I could be there. I really do.
    Perhaps I can interest the Open Carry people in this area to do a demonstration
    here in defense of the people that died in Aurora. I am going to do some inquiries and
    make some posts right now.
    Wonder if this is something that Pete Boyles from KHOW would get on board with? If so it could be good insurance to keep the spin in a good light. Just a thought...

  6. #6
    Regular Member GTShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    111
    Right there with you,

    Probably not go all out with a protest but make it more of a support vigil.


    Quote Originally Posted by O2HeN2 View Post
    I haven't decided if this is a good idea or not, but I was thinking that standing on public property in front of a theater, openly carrying, with signs "I can't protect you in there anymore!" might have some effect.

    Good or bad I'm still debating!

    O2

  7. #7
    Regular Member M-Taliesin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado
    Posts
    1,504
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
    Wonder if this is something that Pete Boyles from KHOW would get on board with? If so it could be good insurance to keep the spin in a good light. Just a thought...
    Howdy!
    I would also wonder if Rich Wyatt from Gunsmoke would lend a hand too.

    I'm thinking about a demonstration of some sort. It ought not be specific to promote OCDO or gun rights in particular,
    but a demonstration of solidarity with, and show of support for, the victims of the Midnight Midnight Movie Madness Massacre.

    When I drove by the location on Sable, just south of Alameda, I saw a line of crosses that had been put up with the names of the dead.
    There was also a makeshift memorial of all manner of stuff piled up on the corner directly across from the theater to the east.
    But getting everybody together to do a demonstration ain't easy. But I had a thought, and wonder what ya'll might think.

    Imagine, if you will, open carriers going around Aurora and tying blue (the color of healing) or black (for the dead) to utility poles (traffic light stantions) all over town.
    While it may be open carriers doing the thing, it would not take focus away from the victims. It would be low key, yet very effective when folks all over Aurora see ribbons streaming in the breeze at every intersection in town.

    I believe it could have a massive impact.

    Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

  8. #8
    Regular Member Scotsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Saudi Aurora
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Taliesin View Post
    Howdy!
    I would also wonder if Rich Wyatt from Gunsmoke would lend a hand too.

    I'm thinking about a demonstration of some sort. It ought not be specific to promote OCDO or gun rights in particular,
    but a demonstration of solidarity with, and show of support for, the victims of the Midnight Midnight Movie Madness Massacre.

    When I drove by the location on Sable, just south of Alameda, I saw a line of crosses that had been put up with the names of the dead.
    There was also a makeshift memorial of all manner of stuff piled up on the corner directly across from the theater to the east.
    But getting everybody together to do a demonstration ain't easy. But I had a thought, and wonder what ya'll might think.

    Imagine, if you will, open carriers going around Aurora and tying blue (the color of healing) or black (for the dead) to utility poles (traffic light stantions) all over town.
    While it may be open carriers doing the thing, it would not take focus away from the victims. It would be low key, yet very effective when folks all over Aurora see ribbons streaming in the breeze at every intersection in town.

    I believe it could have a massive impact.

    Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    I would support an OC style demonstration in support of the shooting victims. I would just want to make sure it was safe and not infiltrated by antis seeking to make us look bad.

  9. #9
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Taliesin View Post
    Howdy!
    I would also wonder if Rich Wyatt from Gunsmoke would lend a hand too.

    I'm thinking about a demonstration of some sort. It ought not be specific to promote OCDO or gun rights in particular,
    but a demonstration of solidarity with, and show of support for, the victims of the Midnight Midnight Movie Madness Massacre.

    When I drove by the location on Sable, just south of Alameda, I saw a line of crosses that had been put up with the names of the dead.
    There was also a makeshift memorial of all manner of stuff piled up on the corner directly across from the theater to the east.
    But getting everybody together to do a demonstration ain't easy. But I had a thought, and wonder what ya'll might think.

    Imagine, if you will, open carriers going around Aurora and tying blue (the color of healing) or black (for the dead) to utility poles (traffic light stantions) all over town.
    While it may be open carriers doing the thing, it would not take focus away from the victims. It would be low key, yet very effective when folks all over Aurora see ribbons streaming in the breeze at every intersection in town.

    I believe it could have a massive impact.

    Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    Extremely interesting suggestion. This is something that could grow and spread, become a universal symbol.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    82
    It's time to take the offensive on self defense rights.
    I think it's time to start demanding Constitutional carry and
    an end to victim disarmament zones. Could that not be part of a vigil?

    If I were one of the victims I would hope that someone would do that in my
    memory. Is there any hope that one of the wounded would support something like this?

    I remember that after Columbine that one family was very pro second amendment and I
    made a great impact on people.

  11. #11
    Regular Member O2HeN2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
    I would support an OC style demonstration...
    How about we spin this as "A show of compassion for those that might be targets of violent crime" (or anything along those lines) rather than a "protest" or "demonstration". We are in fact not demonstrating or protesting against something, we're supporting people's right to protect themselves.

    Also we need to stop talking just OC here (as I was guilty of in my first post) we need to "reach across the aisle" to our CC brethren because in a dark theater, we'll all CC. Either one could have been just as effective in that situation. Yhea, we might take a few barbs from the CC folks -- just suck it up and point out how we're all CC in a dark theater, so there's no difference between us!

    O2
    Last edited by O2HeN2; 07-23-2012 at 12:53 PM.
    When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
    They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
    Zero failures comes at infinite cost.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,187
    Quote Originally Posted by tittiger View Post
    It's time to take the offensive on self defense rights.
    I think it's time to start demanding Constitutional carry and
    an end to victim disarmament zones. Could that not be part of a vigil?
    Your profile says MO, are you in CO?

    I agree that showing support would be the way to go, but we're really not "under attack" around here. IMO, there is NO reason to go "offensive" and doing it now would be counterproductive.

    The usual Brady Bunch is blowing off steam, but no one is listening. The sane people, and more importantly, legislators, are noting that there aren't any "more" laws that could have stopped this. There is already a mental competency requirement for background checks. Even the Brady campaign wants a limit of one gun per month, however, the shooter bought his weapons over a course of 3 months. With such a restriction, he'd what, go in with one less gun?

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    82
    No unfortunately I am in MO. :-(
    I love the ideas guys - I am trying to get something going here in Springfield MO.

    I have heard some crazy things on the talk show I listen to... some one was claiming
    that they used metal detectors in that theater to prevent CC.

    That is insane. I do not go to movies often but have never seen any such thing!
    Do any of you have any first hand knowledge about metal detectors in this particular theater?

    Thanks

  14. #14
    Regular Member GTShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    111
    Ive never seen metal detectors in any theaters in CO... then I again I rarely go to Aurora Mall.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,187
    Quote Originally Posted by tittiger View Post
    I have heard some crazy things on the talk show I listen to... some one was claiming
    that they used metal detectors in that theater to prevent CC.
    There is a TON of misinformation out there. I'm waiting for the dust to settle before drawing any conclusions. Moreover, before reacting to random call in statements.

  16. #16
    Regular Member LoneEchoWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alamosa,Colorado
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by tittiger View Post
    No unfortunately I am in MO. :-(
    I love the ideas guys - I am trying to get something going here in Springfield MO.

    I have heard some crazy things on the talk show I listen to... some one was claiming
    that they used metal detectors in that theater to prevent CC.

    That is insane. I do not go to movies often but have never seen any such thing!
    Do any of you have any first hand knowledge about metal detectors in this particular theater?

    Thanks
    Ive been there many times, and as far as i can remember there never was and is not metal detectors in the building anywhere. On another note i agree with our fellow colorado members in saying that we don't need a "Protest" if anything we need to get out and help our great big Colorado family just as i did yesterday attending the memorial with my injured friend and of course i OC the entire time with no bad word, even at one point two Aurora PD looked at me and mouthed Thank You! Our Gun Rights are very much protected by our Colorado Preemption but i do agree that we should get out OC'ing of course and help out, the ribbon idea is a nice one. my point is that Colorado just got rid of the Westboro babtist Church who was too scared to even show there faces instead they took the pictures we took of the event and photoshoped themselves into them, we had 2000+ making a human wall around our great big family to let them mourn properly, we don't need any form of "protest" that may look bad to the media and more importantly to the family's of the victims. just my two cents
    Semper-Fi
    ~Wolf~

    "Sons of the Republic, arise and take a stand!
    Defend the Constitution, the Supreme Law of the Land!
    Preserve our great republic and each God-given right,
    And pray to God to keep the torch of freedom burning bright!"
    -Thelen Paulk

  17. #17
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,276
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneEchoWolf View Post
    Ive been there many times, and as far as i can remember there never was and is not metal detectors in the building anywhere. On another note i agree with our fellow colorado members in saying that we don't need a "Protest" if anything we need to get out and help our great big Colorado family just as i did yesterday attending the memorial with my injured friend and of course i OC the entire time with no bad word, even at one point two Aurora PD looked at me and mouthed Thank You! Our Gun Rights are very much protected by our Colorado Preemption but i do agree that we should get out OC'ing of course and help out, the ribbon idea is a nice one. my point is that Colorado just got rid of the Westboro babtist Church who was too scared to even show there faces instead they took the pictures we took of the event and photoshoped themselves into them, we had 2000+ making a human wall around our great big family to let them mourn properly, we don't need any form of "protest" that may look bad to the media and more importantly to the family's of the victims. just my two cents
    I have to agree with carrying on with your life as normal is the way to go, along with support for the victims. Possibly some OC saves lives shirts while OCing. I think a petition to the theater to either provide a safe business, or lose that business. If they would have just had ushers at the doors as were normal when I was growing up may have prevented this. Alarms on the exits may have prevented this. Midnight showing with a packed theater on a premiere should have warranted off duty police presence. And of course allowing armed LAC into the theater. Let them know that movie rentals are gun friendly as well as cheaper.

  18. #18
    Regular Member LoneEchoWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alamosa,Colorado
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I have to agree with carrying on with your life as normal is the way to go, along with support for the victims. Possibly some OC saves lives shirts while OCing. I think a petition to the theater to either provide a safe business, or lose that business. If they would have just had ushers at the doors as were normal when I was growing up may have prevented this. Alarms on the exits may have prevented this. Midnight showing with a packed theater on a premiere should have warranted off duty police presence. And of course allowing armed LAC into the theater. Let them know that movie rentals are gun friendly as well as cheaper.
    Completely agree! +1
    Semper-Fi
    ~Wolf~

    "Sons of the Republic, arise and take a stand!
    Defend the Constitution, the Supreme Law of the Land!
    Preserve our great republic and each God-given right,
    And pray to God to keep the torch of freedom burning bright!"
    -Thelen Paulk

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    82

    Eerie Coincidence: Colorado University Had Identical Drill On Same Day As ‘Batman’

    Eerie Coincidence: Colorado University Had Identical Drill On Same Day As ‘Batman’ Massacre’

    http://govtslaves.info/eerie-coincid...tman-massacre/


    You do know this also this "coincidentally" happened on 9/11 and 7/7?
    Last edited by tittiger; 07-23-2012 at 02:35 PM.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,187
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneEchoWolf View Post
    even at one point two Aurora PD looked at me and mouthed Thank You!
    How many thumbs up can I give this?

    my point is that Colorado just got rid of the Westboro babtist Church who was too scared to even show there faces instead they took the pictures we took of the event and photoshoped themselves into them, we had 2000+ making a human wall around our great big family to let them mourn properly, we don't need any form of "protest" that may look bad to the media and more importantly to the family's of the victims. just my two cents
    Ooh, I gotta look into that one.

  21. #21
    Regular Member LoneEchoWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alamosa,Colorado
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by tittiger View Post
    Eerie Coincidence: Colorado University Had Identical Drill On Same Day As ‘Batman’ Massacre’

    http://govtslaves.info/eerie-coincid...tman-massacre/


    You do know this also this "coincidentally" happened on 9/11 and 7/7?
    *Sigh* and do they also find it also a eerie coincidence that over 100 police stations around the country were also training on that day? or that when Columbine happened that the "Swat team" in my town was just so happening to be training in one of our schools? i couldn't help but notice that they mentioned it was medical students that were doing the training "Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine is in the middle of holding specialized classes in disaster life support for 150 second-year medical students." so is he saying that its a conspiracy that we want our medical teams trained for any event what so ever, because personally hell yes i want the best doctors and medical teams to work on me if the day comes they have to. And one last thing, i cant help but to notice that he mentions the new gangster movie that shows such a act occurring, is that eerie that the director made this movie a year ago and its now being released after the editing and all is done just as any movie, not to mention that said trailer has been pulled from all movies and it was not a trailer for the Batman movie. he didn't mention that did he.
    Semper-Fi
    ~Wolf~

    "Sons of the Republic, arise and take a stand!
    Defend the Constitution, the Supreme Law of the Land!
    Preserve our great republic and each God-given right,
    And pray to God to keep the torch of freedom burning bright!"
    -Thelen Paulk

  22. #22
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    59
    Hi all,

    I just wanted to add that if an open carry demonstration does get organized, review Aurora's temp permitting requirements here https://www.auroragov.org/CityHall/P...mits/index.htm I would hate to see any "Negatives" associated with this action. A phone call may help clear up the muddy areas like "what constitutes a rally", or "how many participants warrant a temp permit", etc, etc.

    Mike

  23. #23
    Regular Member LoneEchoWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alamosa,Colorado
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadetreezj View Post
    Hi all,

    I just wanted to add that if an open carry demonstration does get organized, review Aurora's temp permitting requirements here https://www.auroragov.org/CityHall/P...mits/index.htm I would hate to see any "Negatives" associated with this action. A phone call may help clear up the muddy areas like "what constitutes a rally", or "how many participants warrant a temp permit", etc, etc.

    Mike
    we have alot of great people from Aurora on this forum and from Colorado, we will not be doing anything to get us in trouble but I'm sure if anything does indeed get organized that we will be doing exactly what you said, thanks for the reminder though who knows how many minds it slipped with everything else in there.
    Semper-Fi
    ~Wolf~

    "Sons of the Republic, arise and take a stand!
    Defend the Constitution, the Supreme Law of the Land!
    Preserve our great republic and each God-given right,
    And pray to God to keep the torch of freedom burning bright!"
    -Thelen Paulk

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadetreezj View Post
    Hi all,

    I just wanted to add that if an open carry demonstration does get organized, review Aurora's temp permitting requirements here https://www.auroragov.org/CityHall/P...mits/index.htm I would hate to see any "Negatives" associated with this action. A phone call may help clear up the muddy areas like "what constitutes a rally", or "how many participants warrant a temp permit", etc, etc.

    Mike
    Does anyone else have smoke blow out there ears when Americans sheepishly talk about both paying and begging permission of guberment for the "right" to exercise free speech or to carry a weapon?

    Something is DRASTICALLY wrong with this picture. I think I want to go vomit actually.....

  25. #25
    Regular Member LoneEchoWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alamosa,Colorado
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by tittiger View Post
    Does anyone else have smoke blow out there ears when Americans sheepishly talk about both paying and begging permission of guberment for the "right" to exercise free speech or to carry a weapon?

    Something is DRASTICALLY wrong with this picture. I think I want to go vomit actually.....
    Colorado is very helpful with the permits to demonstrate or whatnot, but i have to agree with you, if i want to stand on a street with 20 of my closest friends discussing whatever we want i don't feel i need permission nor have to ask for it, i think its just sad that we would have to do that or risk some sort of trouble. completely agree same as having to ask for permission to carry concealed its a sad situation when you have to pay to not be harassed while doing something that should and is our constitutional given right!
    Last edited by LoneEchoWolf; 07-23-2012 at 03:40 PM.
    Semper-Fi
    ~Wolf~

    "Sons of the Republic, arise and take a stand!
    Defend the Constitution, the Supreme Law of the Land!
    Preserve our great republic and each God-given right,
    And pray to God to keep the torch of freedom burning bright!"
    -Thelen Paulk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •