• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry demonstration in Aurora?

tittiger

Gun rights are about to go over the cliff....

It would seem to me that an open carry demonstration is sorely needed in Aurora.
What better action to take, in the name of the dead created by government. (In more than one way)
The coverage from the alternative press could be huge.

O2HeN2

I haven't decided if this is a good idea or not, but I was thinking that standing on public property in front of a theater, openly carrying, with signs "I can't protect you in there anymore!" might have some effect.

Good or bad I'm still debating!

O2

Last edited:

tittiger

Give me a heads up and provide a written statement of facts, contact info, pictures, and video and I will pass it all along to the alternative media. I can almost guarantee you radio interviews on a few shows.

I think it is the thing to do. I wish I could be there. I really do.
Perhaps I can interest the Open Carry people in this area to do a demonstration
here in defense of the people that died in Aurora. I am going to do some inquiries and
make some posts right now.

Perhaps for PR purposes an open carry vigil would be more appropriate term, and the same messages could be conveyed
and it would be construed perhaps as more respectful.

Last edited:

Scotsman

Give me a heads up and provide a written statement of facts, contact info, pictures, and video and I will pass it all along to the alternative media. I can almost guarantee you radio interviews on a few shows.

I think it is the thing to do. I wish I could be there. I really do.
Perhaps I can interest the Open Carry people in this area to do a demonstration
here in defense of the people that died in Aurora. I am going to do some inquiries and
make some posts right now.

Wonder if this is something that Pete Boyles from KHOW would get on board with? If so it could be good insurance to keep the spin in a good light. Just a thought...

GTShooter

Right there with you,

Probably not go all out with a protest but make it more of a support vigil.

I haven't decided if this is a good idea or not, but I was thinking that standing on public property in front of a theater, openly carrying, with signs "I can't protect you in there anymore!" might have some effect.

Good or bad I'm still debating!

O2

M-Taliesin

Wonder if this is something that Pete Boyles from KHOW would get on board with? If so it could be good insurance to keep the spin in a good light. Just a thought...

Howdy!
I would also wonder if Rich Wyatt from Gunsmoke would lend a hand too.

I'm thinking about a demonstration of some sort. It ought not be specific to promote OCDO or gun rights in particular,
but a demonstration of solidarity with, and show of support for, the victims of the Midnight Midnight Movie Madness Massacre.

When I drove by the location on Sable, just south of Alameda, I saw a line of crosses that had been put up with the names of the dead.
There was also a makeshift memorial of all manner of stuff piled up on the corner directly across from the theater to the east.
But getting everybody together to do a demonstration ain't easy. But I had a thought, and wonder what ya'll might think.

Imagine, if you will, open carriers going around Aurora and tying blue (the color of healing) or black (for the dead) to utility poles (traffic light stantions) all over town.
While it may be open carriers doing the thing, it would not take focus away from the victims. It would be low key, yet very effective when folks all over Aurora see ribbons streaming in the breeze at every intersection in town.

I believe it could have a massive impact.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Scotsman

Howdy!

I'm thinking about a demonstration of some sort. It ought not be specific to promote OCDO or gun rights in particular,
but a demonstration of solidarity with, and show of support for, the victims of the Midnight Midnight Movie Madness Massacre.

When I drove by the location on Sable, just south of Alameda, I saw a line of crosses that had been put up with the names of the dead.
There was also a makeshift memorial of all manner of stuff piled up on the corner directly across from the theater to the east.
But getting everybody together to do a demonstration ain't easy. But I had a thought, and wonder what ya'll might think.

Imagine, if you will, open carriers going around Aurora and tying blue (the color of healing) or black (for the dead) to utility poles (traffic light stantions) all over town.
While it may be open carriers doing the thing, it would not take focus away from the victims. It would be low key, yet very effective when folks all over Aurora see ribbons streaming in the breeze at every intersection in town.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

I would support an OC style demonstration in support of the shooting victims. I would just want to make sure it was safe and not infiltrated by antis seeking to make us look bad.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Howdy!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Extremely interesting suggestion. This is something that could grow and spread, become a universal symbol.
icon14.png

tittiger

It's time to take the offensive on self defense rights.
I think it's time to start demanding Constitutional carry and
an end to victim disarmament zones. Could that not be part of a vigil?

If I were one of the victims I would hope that someone would do that in my
memory. Is there any hope that one of the wounded would support something like this?

I remember that after Columbine that one family was very pro second amendment and I
made a great impact on people.

O2HeN2

I would support an OC style demonstration...
How about we spin this as "A show of compassion for those that might be targets of violent crime" (or anything along those lines) rather than a "protest" or "demonstration". We are in fact not demonstrating or protesting against something, we're supporting people's right to protect themselves.

Also we need to stop talking just OC here (as I was guilty of in my first post) we need to "reach across the aisle" to our CC brethren because in a dark theater, we'll all CC. Either one could have been just as effective in that situation. Yhea, we might take a few barbs from the CC folks -- just suck it up and point out how we're all CC in a dark theater, so there's no difference between us!

O2

Last edited:

mahkagari

It's time to take the offensive on self defense rights.
I think it's time to start demanding Constitutional carry and
an end to victim disarmament zones. Could that not be part of a vigil?

Your profile says MO, are you in CO?

I agree that showing support would be the way to go, but we're really not "under attack" around here. IMO, there is NO reason to go "offensive" and doing it now would be counterproductive.

The usual Brady Bunch is blowing off steam, but no one is listening. The sane people, and more importantly, legislators, are noting that there aren't any "more" laws that could have stopped this. There is already a mental competency requirement for background checks. Even the Brady campaign wants a limit of one gun per month, however, the shooter bought his weapons over a course of 3 months. With such a restriction, he'd what, go in with one less gun?

tittiger

No unfortunately I am in MO. :-(
I love the ideas guys - I am trying to get something going here in Springfield MO.

I have heard some crazy things on the talk show I listen to... some one was claiming
that they used metal detectors in that theater to prevent CC.

That is insane. I do not go to movies often but have never seen any such thing!
Do any of you have any first hand knowledge about metal detectors in this particular theater?

Thanks

GTShooter

Ive never seen metal detectors in any theaters in CO... then I again I rarely go to Aurora Mall.

mahkagari

I have heard some crazy things on the talk show I listen to... some one was claiming

There is a TON of misinformation out there. I'm waiting for the dust to settle before drawing any conclusions. Moreover, before reacting to random call in statements.

LoneEchoWolf

No unfortunately I am in MO. :-(
I love the ideas guys - I am trying to get something going here in Springfield MO.

That is insane. I do not go to movies often but have never seen any such thing!
Do any of you have any first hand knowledge about metal detectors in this particular theater?

Thanks

Ive been there many times, and as far as i can remember there never was and is not metal detectors in the building anywhere. On another note i agree with our fellow colorado members in saying that we don't need a "Protest" if anything we need to get out and help our great big Colorado family just as i did yesterday attending the memorial with my injured friend and of course i OC the entire time with no bad word, even at one point two Aurora PD looked at me and mouthed Thank You! Our Gun Rights are very much protected by our Colorado Preemption but i do agree that we should get out OC'ing of course and help out, the ribbon idea is a nice one. my point is that Colorado just got rid of the Westboro babtist Church who was too scared to even show there faces instead they took the pictures we took of the event and photoshoped themselves into them, we had 2000+ making a human wall around our great big family to let them mourn properly, we don't need any form of "protest" that may look bad to the media and more importantly to the family's of the victims. just my two cents

WalkingWolf

Ive been there many times, and as far as i can remember there never was and is not metal detectors in the building anywhere. On another note i agree with our fellow colorado members in saying that we don't need a "Protest" if anything we need to get out and help our great big Colorado family just as i did yesterday attending the memorial with my injured friend and of course i OC the entire time with no bad word, even at one point two Aurora PD looked at me and mouthed Thank You! Our Gun Rights are very much protected by our Colorado Preemption but i do agree that we should get out OC'ing of course and help out, the ribbon idea is a nice one. my point is that Colorado just got rid of the Westboro babtist Church who was too scared to even show there faces instead they took the pictures we took of the event and photoshoped themselves into them, we had 2000+ making a human wall around our great big family to let them mourn properly, we don't need any form of "protest" that may look bad to the media and more importantly to the family's of the victims. just my two cents

I have to agree with carrying on with your life as normal is the way to go, along with support for the victims. Possibly some OC saves lives shirts while OCing. I think a petition to the theater to either provide a safe business, or lose that business. If they would have just had ushers at the doors as were normal when I was growing up may have prevented this. Alarms on the exits may have prevented this. Midnight showing with a packed theater on a premiere should have warranted off duty police presence. And of course allowing armed LAC into the theater. Let them know that movie rentals are gun friendly as well as cheaper.

LoneEchoWolf

I have to agree with carrying on with your life as normal is the way to go, along with support for the victims. Possibly some OC saves lives shirts while OCing. I think a petition to the theater to either provide a safe business, or lose that business. If they would have just had ushers at the doors as were normal when I was growing up may have prevented this. Alarms on the exits may have prevented this. Midnight showing with a packed theater on a premiere should have warranted off duty police presence. And of course allowing armed LAC into the theater. Let them know that movie rentals are gun friendly as well as cheaper.

Completely agree! +1

mahkagari

even at one point two Aurora PD looked at me and mouthed Thank You!

How many thumbs up can I give this?

my point is that Colorado just got rid of the Westboro babtist Church who was too scared to even show there faces instead they took the pictures we took of the event and photoshoped themselves into them, we had 2000+ making a human wall around our great big family to let them mourn properly, we don't need any form of "protest" that may look bad to the media and more importantly to the family's of the victims. just my two cents

Ooh, I gotta look into that one.