• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Have you OC'd in the last couple of days?

jskp229

Every day, everywhere I go that is legal for the last 2+ years. Changed nothing with activities since.

One interesting note is I finally connected with the owner of the resturant for a M&G. I have been carrying in there for over a year & have had discussions with him - just never about guns. Today when I asked him about bringing our OCDO group was the first time he ever noticed my Sig. After a little discussion on current events, he was happy to let me host at his place.

Beau

I've OC'd but not in Colorado. I've been in Indiana since the night before the shooting happened. I have OC'd pretty much everywhere I've been while here. I did cover up before going into Regal Cinemas to watch Ice Age with my kids. When I get back to CO I don't think I will change how I carry. Unfortunately I plan on making a stop in IL on the way back. I hate the laws in that state.

Keens

I have not changed my OC routine since Friday. OC'ed at a 7-11 in Parker yesterday, the only place I went to after work. Today after work I need to stop by JC Penny on Smoky Hill and Gun Club Rd to return some pants then off to Ross and TJmaxx in the same area to see if I can find me some pants for my upcoming wedding. I will be OC'ing, of course.

Keens

Grutte Pier

oc in Muskegon

Tell the truth, it didn't even register with me, I did not make the connection I'm in such a habit of strapping on that it goes automatically. I never leave home without it. But except for an employee in HL I have had no comments on it.

ComeTakeThem

Hey guys. I OC alot in Brighton on my weeks off. Today decided to OC to Autozone, where I've OC'd numerous times before never having an issue. Didn't get any comments but the store manager who was helping me was visibly quite nervous lol. I also got a couple looks, but no comments. Will continue OCing tonight.

Carry on!

JamesB

Every day, everywhere I go that is legal for the last 2+ years. Changed nothing with activities since.

I feel much the same.

I have carried for 11 years now. Openly for the last 5. I'm not changing my life to suit a politician or a criminal (you can decide which is which).

Damn, did my pistola piss off the state patrol last night tho. They was downright unfriendly about things.

Still not changing.

Shadetreezj

Campaign Veteran
I carried into a Shell station in NE Aurora the other day. The clerk (of foreign persuasion) was shaking as he counted out my change. I quietly told him that he is probably the safest cashier in 10 sq miles. He nervously smiled, and looked somewhat relieved.

JamesB

I carried into a Shell station in NE Aurora the other day. The clerk (of foreign persuasion) was shaking as he counted out my change. I quietly told him that he is probably the safest cashier in 10 sq miles. He nervously smiled, and looked somewhat relieved.

This story has got to be false.
Lies I say, all lies.

I haven't found a clerk that could actually count back change in about five years...

Shadetreezj

Campaign Veteran
This story has got to be false.
Lies I say, all lies.

I haven't found a clerk that could actually count back change in about five years...

Lol!! I didn't say he did it well. And, of course, all of the bills were out of order, backwards, upside down. The usual.........

GTShooter

Poor guy, glad you said something to calm him down. Its amazing how people see a gun and automatically fear for their lives.

Shadetreezj

Campaign Veteran
Poor guy, glad you said something to calm him down. Its amazing how people see a gun and automatically fear for their lives.

It really made me stop to think where the last place he lived was like, and how the were treated. I couldn't hazard a guess as to where he was from. I should have asked (In hindsight). I would guess middle east somewhere.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Sure have. Just finished posting on another thread:

If there's a good time to OC, now's the time, preferably on our best behavior. We are ambassadors! Now's not the time to hide in the shed.

I OC'd today into a crowded convenience store near where I live. I was surprised at how many people were there - there were more than 20 people in line! Then it hit me - it was lunchtime and this is the closest convenience store to Mountain Shadows, and nearly all the folks there were construction crews.

In light of recent events, they were surprised, couple of them bug-eyed, but I just threw then a grin, a "Good Morning!," and a "Thanks for coming out to help. We sure need it."

That opened the doors for a couple of queries, and the conversation quickly turned to Aurora, about which I said, "that's why I carry. You never know when some fool like that is going to come unglued. I'd rather be ready, than dead."

That comment was responded to with half a dozen head-nods and "you go that right"s.

I think headed over to another convenience store, as that one didn't have what I needed. At the other one, there were only half a dozen people in the store, and everyone was quiet.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I can see myself walking into a store, people start yelling " He's got a gun!! and then gettting my @$$ shot. I sometimes believe cops rather shoot 1st and ask questions later.

I'd love to be able to say, "not gonna happen," but I can't say that, as things like this do happen. Orange County recently shot yet another innocent man, and up in Maine, they caught a Maine-i-ac loaded for bear and barreling down the highway at 110, hell bent on blowing someone away. He even admitted it.

So yeah: Bad guys are out there, and some bad cops, too.

Folks, I'd like to add some additional comments and observations, as we really are at a crossroads. On the one hand a lot of people are scared that what happened in Aurora is going to happen to them. Some want to arm up. Others want us to disarm. Obama is reviewing a garbage truck full of Democratic anti-2A manure and will undoubtedly float a few of them at opportune times during his campaign.

It's up to us to make the difference. The only way we can do that is "out there." I'm not saying you should OC if you don't feel comfortable out it. Only you can be the judge of that. What I can say is that we have the opportunity to make a difference. By being at our best, our polite and friendly OC endeavors will go a long way towards helping reassure the general public that what happened in Aurora, not to mention Virginia Tech, Tuscon, and Columbine, is the rare exception rather than the norm. I'm also hoping polite encounters such as I've enjoyed over the last couple of years OCing will help turn the tide in the minds of those around us.

Last night, for example, I was returning a couple of movies at RedBox at Walgreens while picking up another, when a young lady on her cell phone came around the corner to do the same. She'd just finished her phone conversation and was about fifteen feet from me when she stopped short and said, "What are you doing with a gun?" Without missing a beat I smiled at her and said, "Same thing you're doing with that cell phone, Ma'am - I'm renting movies." On the face of it that seems a little absurd, but think about it - a phone is a tool A firearm is a tool. They're used for different purposes, but we each have the same right to carry them. She was no dummy, this one, and said, "Never thought about it that way," then stepped up next to me and asked me some questions about whether I've ever been stopped by the police, has anyone ever freaked out, etc.

The point is, we were talking. Nature abhors a vacuum. What do you think would happen if none of us OC'd at all? The public would be left without any input. Their minds would be left to wander, conjecturing, often badly. By OCing, we're not leaving that up to chance. Instead, we're doing what we always do - conveying to the public that we're just like them. Similar professions and experiences, except that we don't forfeit our security. Instead, we secure ourselves and our posterity, we act like the first line of defense that we are.

That's a good image! It's a positive one with which the public can identify, especially after these shootings, and above all else, it's truthful.

With that, I saw a number of outstanding comments as I reviewed this thread, and I'd like to share and possibly comment on some I thought were among the best:

I've not changed a thing, I have noticed more adults being aware of the firearm on my hip, however, no issues, no negative comments and one thank you.

That's been my experience. Some raised eyebrows, nothing more.

The day after as I was "saddling up" my GF commented "Do you think that's such a great idea?" to which my reply was "Now, more than ever!"

With all the "guns are bad" sentiment being pushed by the media, we need to do our best to show that there are normal, law abiding people that carry guns too.

:banana:

Pardon me for butting in from another state. I open carry everywhere I am allowed by law to do so, whether or not there was a tragic event nearby. It is legal, it is my right, and it is just these types of tragedies that compel me to carry in the first place. For your sake, and the movements sake, don't be ashamed of your gun rights. That is how they win.

Exactly. If we were OCing "for show," as a lot of the antis claim, now's the time to hide 'em, tuck our tails, and hide.

I don't carry for show, people. In fact, for a full 18 months I was one of the more reluctant OCers on this forum. Outspoken, sure, but still unsure of myself while OCing in public, even though I've carried a firearm on and off duty for two decades -- OC on, and CC off. It took me a full two years before I felt completely comfortable OCing in civvies.

More importantly is why I carry at all. It's to be able to respond appropriately to unstable elements in our society, those who either want to hurt or kill me out of anger or spite, who want to forcibly take from me by means of dishonest gain, and the rare but real idiots who're out there just to take everyone down.

WOD's right: If we're ashamed to carry now, the anti's have won. We have absolutely NO reason to be ashamed of Holmes, Cho, Loughner, and those like them. The ONLY similarity we have in common with them is that they used firearms. We have no more in common with them than we have in common with criminals simply because they make the license plates we use on the back of our vehicles. We certainly cannot be ashamed of our firearms, which are, after all, inanimate objects.

There's no better time to carry, as well as carry ourselves well and appropriately, than now.

I open carried all weekend at lots of places. :) While I OC everyday, everywhere pretty much, I'm going to OC even more since the movie theater tragedy to help promote our cause. I believe that if more folks become aware that they too have the right to carry and that guns are not a bad thing, the better our chances our rights will continue. And the better folks will be educated. Over the weekend, I OC'ed with MT and we visited lots of places in lots of different areas. We had a few folks curiously asking us about our sidearms and we did get a few stinkeyes (a Douglas County Sheriff up in the mountains, a family from Illinois, and a guy fishing out by Tarryall-I believe he probably thought we were rangers and were going to check and see if he had a fishing license cuz he started acting all weird), but nothing major. We got mostly positive reactions from folks and even the LEO's. We stopped over by the movie theater suspects apartment and we thanked a few officers and told them we are part of Open Carry Colorado and they enjoyed talking with us. Out of the hundreds of officers over there, not one negative reaction at all! :) We are slowly getting there in educating folks and things have improved greatly over the past few years for open carriers!

Blessings,

Keens

Hang tight for a sec while I get my hanky... (PPPBLLBLBLLPLBHBBBB!!!).

Sorry about that. Your post really does bring tears to my eyes! And you're absolutely right - if anything, things have greatly improved for OC, and we are at a crossroads. We can lean forward, and the wall of water will fall our way, or we can lean back and the wall of water will calm itself into nothingness. Now's the time to lean forward, as exemplary citizens in this time of national wondering and doubt.

Either M-T brought you up right, or you always had it in you and he just helped bring it out. You've got a lot to contribute, Keens. Keep on, keeping on!

LoneEchoWolf

OC'ed today as always and got a funny and positive encounter while getting a estimate on my breaks. I walked into the auto place here and the owner immediately threw up his hands and said "don't shoot me" with a huge smile and his two lady workers laughed along, i replied "Naw man never, your not a Bad guy" and just laughed with him. He obviously knew the laws, and was in no type of "fear." then he went about working on his next job while i got the estimate from his secretary. It was really awesome encounter and he definitely earned my business now and in the future!

Bellum_Intus

Had a bit of an LOL moment at the Wendy's in Pueblo West..

was standing in line to get those YUMMY chili cheese fries and a little girl w/ her father were like 2 people ahead of me.. When the little girl looked at me, smiled, then proceeded to smack her dad square in the .. nads .. and say, that nice man has a gun... :p

I told the guy I was sorry, all got a laugh..

--Rob

LoneEchoWolf

was standing in line to get those YUMMY chili cheese fries and a little girl w/ her father were like 2 people ahead of me.. When the little girl looked at me, smiled, then proceeded to smack her dad square in the .. nads .. and say, that nice man has a gun... :p

--Rob

haha too funny! feel for the poor guy

mahkagari

--Rob

Having two little girls who I constantly have to remind to be careful of Daddy's bits when they're climbing for a hug, I can sympathize. Funny, they're always mindful of where my gun is in case I'm CCing, but no matter how many times I "oof!", they periodically forget. Or maybe I just remember those times more.

But, dude. Seriously. Chili? From Wendy's? Kit Carson is rolling in his grave.