• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Have you OC'd in the last couple of days?

GTShooter

As most of you know Im new to OC'ing and was feeling pretty good while doing it. Now after this tragic episode in Aurora I didnt feel it would be a good Idea to OC for a while. I know that by changing the way I decide to live it can be understood that terror has changed me, but............. I can see myself walking into a store, people start yelling " He's got a gun!! and then gettting my @$$ shot. I sometimes believe cops rather shoot 1st and ask questions later.

Who continues to OC and have you had any problems in the last couple of days?

Last edited:

Bellum_Intus

As most of you know Im new to OC'ing and was feeling pretty good while doing it. Now after this tragic episode in Aurora I didnt feel it would be a good Idea to OC for a while. I know that by changing the way I decide to live it can be understood that terror has changed me, but............. I can see myself walking into a store, people start yelling " He's got a gun!! and then gettting my @$$ shot. I sometimes believe cops rather shoot 1st and ask questions later.

Who continues to OC and have you had any problems in the last couple of days?

I've not changed a thing, I have noticed more adults being aware of the firearm on my hip, however, no issues, no negative comments and one thank you..

--Rob

O2HeN2

The day after as I was "saddling up" my GF commented "Do you think that's such a great idea?" to which my reply was "Now, more than ever!"

With all the "guns are bad" sentiment being pushed by the media, we need to do our best to show that there are normal, law abiding people that carry guns too.

O2

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... I can see myself walking into a store, people start yelling " He's got a gun!! and then gettting my @$$ shot. I sometimes believe cops rather shoot 1st and ask questions later.

But look at this way. In the aftermath, we will do everything in our power to show the cops were wrong and you were right. Your legacy will help us all. C'mon! Take one for the team!

nkunnen

I OC'ed all weekend in aurora within a mile of the shooting. Not a negative comment at all. One lady told me thank you and another said " i hope you never have to use that".

Scotsman

I live about 3 minutes from the cinema where the shooting took place. I saddled up on my Harley yesterday with my .45 on my side. I stopped at the Sam's on Abilene for gas. I got a couple of puzzled looks while fueling up. I continued on my way down 225 to 25 then to 6th and on to 285. I rode all the way to Fairplay without an incident or comment. I did have to remove my .45 and stow it in a saddle bag since I got caught up in the rain a few times!

All in all a nice armed ride to the hills without a problem.

WOD

Pardon me for butting in from another state. I open carry everywhere I am allowed by law to do so, whether or not there was a tragic event nearby. It is legal, it is my right, and it is just these types of tragedies that compel me to carry in the first place. For your sake, and the movements sake, don't be ashamed of your gun rights. That is how they win.

Keens

I open carried all weekend at lots of places. :) While I OC everyday, everywhere pretty much, I'm going to OC even more since the movie theater tragedy to help promote our cause. I believe that if more folks become aware that they too have the right to carry and that guns are not a bad thing, the better our chances our rights will continue. And the better folks will be educated. Over the weekend, I OC'ed with MT and we visited lots of places in lots of different areas. We had a few folks curiously asking us about our sidearms and we did get a few stinkeyes (a Douglas County Sheriff up in the mountains, a family from Illinois, and a guy fishing out by Tarryall-I believe he probably thought we were rangers and were going to check and see if he had a fishing license cuz he started acting all weird), but nothing major. We got mostly positive reactions from folks and even the LEO's. We stopped over by the movie theater suspects apartment and we thanked a few officers and told them we are part of Open Carry Colorado and they enjoyed talking with us. Out of the hundreds of officers over there, not one negative reaction at all! :) We are slowly getting there in educating folks and things have improved greatly over the past few years for open carriers!

Blessings,

Keens

W

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
Me and Keens were out OC'ing all day on Saturday. I carried my RIA 1911, locked and cocked as usual.
Keens had his S&W .40 on his hip.

We stopped to talk to a reporter within yards of the apartment loaded with explosive devices.
We stopped and talked with Aurora police officers, who knew we were both carrying.
No adverse reaction whatsoever. They get it. They understand.

We drove down to Deckers, and stopped at various places along the way to get refreshments or play in a river.
We met citizens from Colorad, and one family from Illinois.
We talked about the Aurora shooting.
They get it folks.
They understand why we carry.

We were in a store in Deckers. A Douglas County deputy sheriff was in line ahead of us. He checked us out but never said a word.
We anticipated he'd be waiting for us outside the store. But he wasn't. He gets it too.

We travelled west, and found a really wonderful woman who runs a little trading post in the south park.
While we bought refreshments, the subject of the Aurora shooting came up.
She wasn't at all concerned about our firearms. She gets it too.

I have not changed my behavior with regard to open carry in any manner whatsoever.
Carry on folks. Don't fret about it. Our fellow citizens seem to get it.
Oh, and last night, my wife and I visited the Mountain Man store in Aurora Town Center.
The woman did not seem concerned about my sidearm.
I believe she gets it too.
We visited a Safeway on Sunday at Mississippi and Peoria, and they obviously get it.
Later I visited a King Soopers on Mississippi and Chambers. They have armed security in the store.
The security guy checked me out visually, but it was obvious he gets it too.
There were two security guys (maybe shift change) by the time I left King Soopers after my shopping ordeal.
Both waved and smiled at me. It seemed obviouss they get it.
And my fellow shoppers didn't blanch either.
They get it.

Later that evening, I visited a Safeway on Buckley near Mexico. Shoppers and staff at that store gave no sign of concern.
They get it too.

The one thing I kept hearing, as I went about my errands during those two days (saturday and sunday)
were remarks from citizens and employees of various businesses where I travelled:
"Stay safe out there!"
I'd smile in resonse, as I'd reply "I aim to do precisely that! Thank you!"

Carry on folks.
Our fellow Coloradoans get it!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

GTShooter

No not ashamed at all, why would I be? I guess as a new OC'er it is natural to feel nervous about the reactions of people. I most likely will carry my handgun as I have for the past 2 months but I did want to know if others have been getting harrased or getting negative reactions from the public.

Last edited:

LoneEchoWolf

No not ashamed at all, why would I be? I guess as a new OC'er it is natural to feel nervous about the reactions of people. I most likely will carry my handgun as I have for the past 2 months but I did want to know if others have been getting harrased or getting negative reactions from the public.

Nope not one here at all!

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Carry on folks.
Our fellow Coloradoans get it!

We all know the pure crap we are getting in the national news.

How are your LOCAL news stations treating this? Or are they all too eager for their shot into the networks?

LoneEchoWolf

How are your LOCAL news stations treating this? Or are they all too eager for their shot into the networks?

As far as Ive seen our local media at least in these parts has been covering more the horrible tragedy, but from what Ive seen they are not telling lies to the sheeple as the national new stations are. there are not making up laws that don't exist and saying they have been around for years. as far as Ive seen our local stations have been covering our Governor Aurora chief of police and every other official publicly saying that no more gun laws could have stopped this. In my opinion the local news is handling this far better than national.

Bellum_Intus

We do have the calls for bans, however, our Governor (d) Hickenlooper states that gun control wouldn't have stopped this "evil" act.. +1, Most LEO's I've dealt with are not buying the gun control crap.. news' media needs to be constantly reminded that we already tried to assault weapon ban, 1994-2004.. it didn't work.. But they are not hammering gun control nearly as bad as the national news.. and i've not seen too much on the Bloomberg comments here.. (PS.. Bloomberg.. leave your opinion in NY.. ok? .. you don't live here.. and we sure as hell don't want you here)

--Rob

Last edited:

mahkagari

as far as Ive seen our local stations have been covering our Governor Aurora chief of police and every other official publicly saying that no more gun laws could have stopped this.

Can I get some cites? I'd love to have those to pass around.

Big smiles to all the people getting thanks! Hopefully it will encourage more people to stand up and be their own protectors!

Dilligad316

I OCed in a tack store East of Longmont (with several families around) went from there to Murdoch's in Longmont and rounded out my Saturday at dinner in Niwot and not one word or strange look that I saw.
Sunday I OCed at a horse show in Longmont and the only people that said anything to me was one thanked me for carrying and 2 that had to take me aside and show me what they CCed. Other than that a pretty uneventful weekend of OCing in Longmont too.