• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alamance county denied my PPP

Matt2908

Before I get into it, I've been reading forums for hours. I joined this one because you guys seem to be the most knowledgable and stomp out the BS quickly.

I got a misdemeanor when I was 16. 30 days suspended for 2 years unsupervised probation.
When I turned 21, I applied for a PPP and got approved.
Skipping to present.
I'm 33, no other charges since I was 16. Alamance county denied me.
The reasoning was I had a 2 year sentence. I own a pistol that I bought using a permit supplied by the same people that denied me. He told me I was perfectly legal in owning a pistol, I just could not buy one. WTH. He told me I could expunge that charge or file a lawsuit against the sheriffs department. I don't understand how they can give me a permit when the charge was only 5 years old, then deny me 12 years later.
Do I have any recourse besides what he stated? He also said he would deny a ccp.
The only person over his head is Terry Johnson and the both agreed to deny me. So it would be no use to try that.
Sorry for the long post

Matt2908

Contributing to the dilquencey of a minor.
Long story short. I gave a girl a ride to a friends house. She had snuck out of the house.

I know of a deputy with the same charge.

Last edited:

razor_baghdad

Don't take no for an answer.

Good info here:

http://www.ncsheriffs.org/documents/2007-NC-Firearms-gun-Laws-rev2011.pdf

N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-404.
An applicant refused a permit has a right to appeal such refusal to the Chief District Court Judge for the district in which the application was filed.

and this:

Further, the person is not considered convicted if the conviction has been expunged or set aside, or is an offense for which the person has been pardoned or has had their civil rights restored (if the law of the applicable jurisdiction provides for the loss of civil rights under such an offense) unless the pardon, expungement, or restoration of civil rights expressly provides that the person may not ship, transport, possess, or receive firearms. 18 U.S.c. § 921(a)(33) and 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(9).

"The only person over his head is Terry Johnson and the both agreed to deny me. So it would be no use to try that."

The Judge is over his head. Try that!

I'd say you served your debt to society. WTF can this Sheriff be thinking? ;(

Matt2908

Thanks for the link.
There was nothing in those rules that would disqualify me. It said a misdemeanor had to be punishable with 1 year imprisonment. Mine was only 30 days.
Is that appeal in a court setting or an office? Just wondering if I needed a lawyer. If so does anyone recommend a lawyer in Alamance with PPP appeals exp.
I shouldn't need one but then again I shouldn't have been denied.

WalkingWolf

Thanks for the link.
There was nothing in those rules that would disqualify me. It said a misdemeanor had to be punishable with 1 year imprisonment. Mine was only 30 days.
Is that appeal in a court setting or an office? Just wondering if I needed a lawyer. If so does anyone recommend a lawyer in Alamance with PPP appeals exp.
I shouldn't need one but then again I shouldn't have been denied.

They do not go by the actual punishment levied, they go by the possible maximum sentence for a crime. If it was a misdemeanor punishable by up to one to two years you will probably need to get it expunged.

Last edited:

Matt2908

Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor [NCGS 14-316.1, Class 1 misdemeanor]
Any person 16 years of age or older who knowingly or willingly causes, aids or encourages a
minor to become delinquent, undisciplined, abused or neglected.30

From what I have read. A class 1 misdemeanor with no priors holds a maximum sentence of 45 days.
Even with 5 or more convictions it only holds a max of 120 days.

I forgot to mention. The guy that denied me said, if I had took the 30 days I wouldn't have had a problem. So he is going by the 2 years unsupervised probation.

attrapereves

Are you eligible for a concealed carry permit? You might want to go that route. Counties can pretty much put whatever requirements they want for PPPs, but CHP requirements are regulated by the state.

WalkingWolf

Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor [NCGS 14-316.1, Class 1 misdemeanor]
Any person 16 years of age or older who knowingly or willingly causes, aids or encourages a
minor to become delinquent, undisciplined, abused or neglected.30

From what I have read. A class 1 misdemeanor with no priors holds a maximum sentence of 45 days.
Even with 5 or more convictions it only holds a max of 120 days.

I forgot to mention. The guy that denied me said, if I had took the 30 days I wouldn't have had a problem. So he is going by the 2 years unsupervised probation.

Appeal the refusal ~ or if you want to spend the money have your record expunged. From what I heard it is easy as long as you get an attorney.

Matt2908

I think I'm just gonna go for the expungement. So this will never be an issue again.
Can't get a ccp. He said he would deny me that also.
Thanks to everyone for the input.

cricketdad

Dreamer

That's what I tryed to tell him. He is convinced otherwise.

Your Sheriff is an unmitigated a$$hat. He doesn't know the law, he is bullying and lying to you, and he is setting up his office for a trip to the District Court.

He cannot legally deny your CHP for this record. First, you were a minor, so he shouldn't even have access to the records. And second, it was not a disqualifying charge. And THIRD, he does not have "discretion" to pick and choose what does and does not disqualify the issuance of a NC CHP--that process is very clearly defined under STATE law.

Don't argue with him--that only makes a$$hats more steadfast in their arrogant ignorance.

Just apply for a CHP. When he denies you, appeal to the District Court.

When the Judge overrules his denial and has a permit issued to you, sue the Sheriff for violating your civil rights.

When you win that settlement, buy a new car, and drive by the Sheriff's office every day and wave your CHP at him.
:monkey:monkey:monkey

That's what I'd do... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Your Sheriff is an unmitigated a$$hat. He doesn't know the law, he is bullying and lying to you, and he is setting up his office for a trip to the District Court.

Don't argue with him--that only makes a$$hats more steadfast in their arrogant ignorance.

That's what I'd do... :rolleyes:

Another policeman that knows nothing ; not as bad as this reason (for a denial I am appealing): that I filed several freedom of information act requests

smlawrence

Don't just be hopeful. Be confident in what you know and be sure that confidence is seen. Make sure he knows that you know your rights and won't just settle for his stupida$$ opinions. Take care.

sheepdog

...thanks for the update...

...early on you were told you could own a pistol...just not buy one...does NC have a law forbidding you to buy a handgun/weapon because of the charge when you were younger?