• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Question - a Stupid question, but the reason why I have only CC'ed

babybuck

I live in unicorporated st louis county. I have cc'ed everyday and everywhere. I have stopped short of OC'ing, because of wording in the law that says that it is unlawful to carry a firearm in the open on to any private property, unless in the presence of the owner/property representative or with their written permission. That is it, that is my sticking point. I would love nothing more than to OC into Diebergs tonight...I won't lie, I will be very nervous to do it.

Thanks all, and this my first ever post too. Love the site

Oramac

It's pretty sketchy here in MO. If you're in StL City, it's a definite no-no, as they have a statute against OC. Other than that, it's hit and miss. Honestly I don't know about the surrounding cities. OFallon and Lake St Louis are good, but the others I'd be very careful about. Go read all their statutes before OCing anywhere.

kylemoul

I travel in Mehlville area every week. You are correct on reading the county laws, and it pertains ONLY to private property not public property. You would still need to look into OC restrictions in county parks I believe.

example, your walking down the sidewalk. that is not private property, but once you try to walk into subway or a store, that is not public property and your purpose to step foot on that property is to obtain permission to openly carry.

I myself do not OC in unincorp, but the wording states you can OC on private to obtain written permission from the property owner (and assuming you get it, you can OC without an issue on that property). it is a old hunting law the county still holds on to. i do not because it is kind of a so-so wording of law.

that is my outlook on it but i know a few who have OC'd in unincorp.

Last edited:

xdmcompact

I have OC'ed and have been stopped for it in St. Louis county, was surrounded by four officers and asked to cover it up. I declined, they threatened me with arrest for unlawful use of a weapon. I explained the law to them and one officer didn't want to hear it. After the show of I have a badge and you are going to do what I say was over, they went to their ordnance book trying to find anything they could arrest me for. Even after telling me what I was doing is legal, they still tried to find something to arrest on. Their last word was cover it up, I responded no and have a nice day as I walked away. Know the law before even attempting to OC in St Louis County. Know that you will get called on, and you will get stopped.

babybuck

Ya know, in the 4th Prec. the county cops are so power hungry that even a walk in at the QT on Telegraph will get you the stare down by the 4 or 5 in there at any given time. They don't have near enough to do. I have overheard some of the conversation, and i would NOT feel safe if I had to depend on them to save my life.

Thanks all for input.

NG19

Ya know, in the 4th Prec. the county cops are so power hungry that even a walk in at the QT on Telegraph will get you the stare down by the 4 or 5 in there at any given time. They don't have near enough to do. I have overheard some of the conversation, and i would NOT feel safe if I had to depend on them to save my life.

Thanks all for input.

Agreed, Telegraph is an interesting area. I have OC'd there into a couple of gas stations and every time a cop sees me they watch me with hawk eyes regardless of if they have seen me before or not. There are a few that I have had a conversation with and they see why I carry but they feel it is their job to watch anyone with a gun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

kylemoul

Agreed, Telegraph is an interesting area. I have OC'd there into a couple of gas stations and every time a cop sees me they watch me with hawk eyes regardless of if they have seen me before or not. There are a few that I have had a conversation with and they see why I carry but they feel it is their job to watch anyone with a gun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

maybe they think were all cute?