Thread: Marylander asking about OC'ing in VA.

Marylander asking about OC'ing in VA.

hello,
    i am curious about a couple of things. i have an out of state permit but VA's reciprocity is the same. can I open carry? or is it safer to CC. do i have to obtain a VA non RES permit? Reason I ask is my family and i frequent Fredricksburg 2 to 3 times a month where we have our camper at. (spotsy county). thank you in advance for your replies.

Wink

OC is 100% lawful for all. CC with non-res permit per reciprocity.

Lots of threads. Not worthy of another long dissertation on the subject. Welcome to our fair Commonwealth.

Carry on.
    Stay Safe.
    Etc.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Welcome to OCDO and to the Commonwealth of Virginia.

What wylde said pretty much covers things. He left out a few issues which I will try to cover.

- if you are going to spend time in Virginia you should consider joining VCDL www.vcdl.org as they are responsible for so much of the freedom we enjoy.

- read the laws and check for signs at your campground. Do NOT ask if there are signs - no sense putting ideas into anybody's head.

- if you are at the camper of a weekend consider coming down for the Greater Richmond Open Carry Breakfast - held every Saturday. It's a great way to meet people and get info. There is also the Greater Richmond Open Carry Dinner on the (usually) second Tuesday of each month. Both are announced in stickies at the top of the Virginia page.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Do NOT ask if there are signs - no sense putting ideas into anybody's head.
    Person A is asked to leave because of their gun and points out "there are no signs." Person B, C, D, E, F... who were never asked to leave in the past, now find a sign banning guns.

What Skid said. Do join VCDL and look into joining www.marylandshallissue.org so perhaps we can enjoy freedom like our VA brothers and sisters do.

If you have a permit that VA recognizes, then you can OC or CC. Plenty of people have OC'd for years and have never had anything happen, like me. There's really nothing to fear. I know OC can be a little nerve racking the first few times, but don't let that stop you.

If you have a permit that VA recognizes, then you can OC or CC.
    And of course to OC requires no permit whatsoever.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom View Post
    And of course to OC requires no permit whatsoever.
    Unless you are in the GAB.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Unless you are in the GAB.
    I do not look at that rule as being a restriction on OC, since it also applies to CC. It's more of a restriction on where you can carry as opposed to how you can carry.

But yes it sucks that the elected representatives insist that I pay $10/year in order to visit them to see just how they are representing me.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    I do not look at that rule as being a restriction on OC, since it also applies to CC. It's more of a restriction on where you can carry as opposed to how you can carry.

But yes it sucks that the elected representatives insist that I pay $10/year in order to visit them to see just how they are representing me.

stay safe.
    You could volunteer to pay more - some might even accept it

Additional caveat for the OP to consider - you may not partake of an adult beverage in a restaurant if CCing, while OCing is legal to do so we do not encourage it.

J3. No person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia may consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises. A person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of such a restaurant or club and consumes alcoholic beverages is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. However, nothing in this subsection shall apply to a federal, state, or local law-enforcement officer.
    http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/18.2-308.HTM
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Founder's Club Member

The Real Answer

Deleted by Citizen
    Last edited by Citizen; 07-26-2012 at 03:17 AM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.