• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Marylander asking about OC'ing in VA.

Terry 2

hello,
i am curious about a couple of things. i have an out of state permit but VA's reciprocity is the same. can I open carry? or is it safer to CC. do i have to obtain a VA non RES permit? Reason I ask is my family and i frequent Fredricksburg 2 to 3 times a month where we have our camper at. (spotsy county). thank you in advance for your replies.

wylde007

OC is 100% lawful for all. CC with non-res permit per reciprocity.

Lots of threads. Not worthy of another long dissertation on the subject. Welcome to our fair Commonwealth.

Carry on.
Stay Safe.
Etc.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO and to the Commonwealth of Virginia.

What wylde said pretty much covers things. He left out a few issues which I will try to cover.

- if you are going to spend time in Virginia you should consider joining VCDL www.vcdl.org as they are responsible for so much of the freedom we enjoy.

- read the laws and check for signs at your campground. Do NOT ask if there are signs - no sense putting ideas into anybody's head.

- if you are at the camper of a weekend consider coming down for the Greater Richmond Open Carry Breakfast - held every Saturday. It's a great way to meet people and get info. There is also the Greater Richmond Open Carry Dinner on the (usually) second Tuesday of each month. Both are announced in stickies at the top of the Virginia page.

stay safe.

taurusfan

Do NOT ask if there are signs - no sense putting ideas into anybody's head.

Person A is asked to leave because of their gun and points out "there are no signs." Person B, C, D, E, F... who were never asked to leave in the past, now find a sign banning guns.

WhatTimeIsIt?

If you have a permit that VA recognizes, then you can OC or CC. Plenty of people have OC'd for years and have never had anything happen, like me. There's really nothing to fear. I know OC can be a little nerve racking the first few times, but don't let that stop you.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Unless you are in the GAB.

I do not look at that rule as being a restriction on OC, since it also applies to CC. It's more of a restriction on where you can carry as opposed to how you can carry.

But yes it sucks that the elected representatives insist that I pay $10/year in order to visit them to see just how they are representing me.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I do not look at that rule as being a restriction on OC, since it also applies to CC. It's more of a restriction on where you can carry as opposed to how you can carry.

But yes it sucks that the elected representatives insist that I pay $10/year in order to visit them to see just how they are representing me.

stay safe.

You could volunteer to pay more - some might even accept it :lol:

Additional caveat for the OP to consider - you may not partake of an adult beverage in a restaurant if CCing, while OCing is legal to do so we do not encourage it.

J3. No person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia may consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises. A person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of such a restaurant or club and consumes alcoholic beverages is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. However, nothing in this subsection shall apply to a federal, state, or local law-enforcement officer.
http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/18.2-308.HTM