• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best ammo to use?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Well, somene has to say it.

The best ammo you can use is 230-grain FMJ hardball. Just like JMB (PBOH) intended for us to use.

Unfortunately that will not fit your handgun.

So you are stuck with what everybody else has said - go buy a box or two of every brand and every flavor they offer and see what yours likes best. Of course that will mean several trips to the range - poor baby.

Remember you are only testing to see if your handgun has any disagreement with a particular brand/ configuration. And that includes testing your magazines - you will be getting extra magazines, won't you?

This exercise may count towards the function testing mentioned in the other thread, but that will mean a reduced number of trips to the range. This exercise may also be used to sight-in and verify POA/POI issues, but the same caveat applies. If I were you I'd take that into consideration.:D

I hope that this impresses on you the seriousness of handgun ownership.

stay safe.

stickslinger

Well, somene has to say it.

The best ammo you can use is 230-grain FMJ hardball. Just like JMB (PBOH) intended for us to use.

Unfortunately that will not fit your handgun.

So you are stuck with what everybody else has said - go buy a box or two of every brand and every flavor they offer and see what yours likes best. Of course that will mean several trips to the range - poor baby.

Remember you are only testing to see if your handgun has any disagreement with a particular brand/ configuration. And that includes testing your magazines - you will be getting extra magazines, won't you?

This exercise may count towards the function testing mentioned in the other thread, but that will mean a reduced number of trips to the range. This exercise may also be used to sight-in and verify POA/POI issues, but the same caveat applies. If I were you I'd take that into consideration.:D

I hope that this impresses on you the seriousness of handgun ownership.

stay safe.

I re-load my own (.40 cal). It loves every round I send through it, doesn't complain.

BillB

Just got a SIG P250 9mm sub compact.
Will any 9mm ammo do or should I get a specific kind?

For range or practice, use the cheapest stuff with brass cases you can find. A caution though, most indoor ranges don't allow projectiles with steel in them. A lot of non-US ammo use a soft steel jacket that's copper plated. If the ammo is magnetic, the range may not allow you to use it.

As for carry or defensive ammo, just pick something from this list:

9mm
Barnes XPB 115gr HP (35515) such as loaded by Cor-Bon (DPX09115)
Winchester Partition Gold 124gr JHP (RA91P)
Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
Winchester Ranger Bonded 124 gr +P JHP (RA9BA)
Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+ (RA9TA)
Winchester Ranger-T 147gr JHP (RA9T)
Winchester Bonded 147gr JHP (RA9B/Q4364)
Speer Gold Dor 124gr JHP
Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P (53617)
Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP (53619)
Remington Golden Saber 124 gr +P JHP bonded (GSB9MMD)
Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC)
Federal Tactical 124gr JHP (LE9T1)
Federal Tactical 135gr JHP +P (LE9T5)
Federal HST 147gr JHP (P9HST2)
Federal HST 124gr JHP +P (P9HST3)

The list comes from this link and it's a pretty good primer on defensive ammo too:

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

Here are a couple of sites I like for ordering handgun ammo:

http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol-ammunition/9mm-9x19

http://www.natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?c...Group=2&searchBy=size&ammoSize=349&category=3

Here is an ammo search engine that I like:

http://ammoseek.com/

Last edited:

coreyshaw

I picked up some hollow points for defense purposes. I went into to my local shop/range, asked the guy behind the counter what the best ammo was for home defense and he handed me a box of hollow points. As far as range shooting goes, I'll buy the ammo as I need to at the range. Thanks for the input!

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
Welcome coreyshaw!

What part of the state are you in?

Many areas of the state have open carry dinner or breakfast gatherings. I recommend you try to attend one. They are fun, and a great opportunity to learn from like-minded folks!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Last edited:

Michigander

In terms of raw power, no one loads better self defense ammo than Buffalo Bore. It is expensive, but worth the price. Other brands are good too, but Buffalo Bore is matter of factly a good choice.

For practice, get whatever is cheap and cycles well. Or reload.

j4l

Since you went ahead, and limited yourself to 9mm.. you have 3 realistic options:

1) Throw the pistol at them, instead of pulling the trigger.
2) Gold Dots for HP's
3) FMJ in the heaviest weight you can find- at least that way,you will have a chance of penetrating something, at least..

WalkingWolf

Since you went ahead, and limited yourself to 9mm.. you have 3 realistic options:

1) Throw the pistol at them, instead of pulling the trigger.
2) Gold Dots for HP's
3) FMJ in the heaviest weight you can find- at least that way,you will have a chance of penetrating something, at least..

I really don't get where this attitude comes from that a 9mm is so worthless it is better to throw the gun at them. I know I would never want to be on the receiving end. What do you think?

j4l

You will note that -ill be fair,and say 8 out of 10- pro-9mm folks have never had to actually use one in a life/death situation.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I think that I have, at various times, been on both ends of the 9. As user and as used on. It failed miserably on both occasions.
I think that 2-3 yrs of seeing -on avg.- 4-6 gunshot victims per night in the E/R -Trauma Center I once worked in, (with the majority of those GSVs having been hit with 9s) that the round -no matter what brand/make/load used, was a dismal failure in every sense of the word.
I think that all but 3 Law Enforcement Dept.s abandoning the 9mm over the last several yrs (for the very same reasons I mention above), the Marines trying whenever/wherever possible to drag their 1911s out of the arms lockers for their troops, nearly all of the U.S. SOCOM community going back to the .45, after experiencing their own dismal failures with the 9mm-even going so far as to purchase, out-of-pocket- their own .45s so that they arent stuck with the M9, and the fact that the DoD's minimum specs for the next U.S. service pistol is to be a .45 is ample reason to have my conclusions on the matter.
No matter how much that may knot the panties of, and wreck the gun-fighter fantasies of, 9mm fanboys.

You are saying you have been shot with a 9mm?

j4l

You are saying you have been shot with a 9mm?

Yup. 2x. once clean through my left side, and another time into my left elbow. Didnt stop me in the least. The elbow hit I didnt even realize had happened until an EMT pointed out I was bleeding there.
-

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Yup. 2x. once clean through my left side, and another time into my left elbow. Didnt stop me in the least. The elbow hit I didnt even realize had happened until an EMT pointed out I was bleeding there.
On the flip side of the equation, when you've got some 70 lbs (maybe ) half-starved Somali running at you from 10 feet, and you empty an M9 into his torso, center-mass, and he keeps right on charging? Kinda/sorta all the proof I need that the 9mm is utterly worthless. How did I end up stopping him, you ask? I beat him to death with the empty pistol.

End story.

Well I am sorry you were shot, but I certainly would not want to be shot with any round, not even the 25 acp. You are also talking FMJ, and again I am guessing it did not shatter a bone. I have been stabbed and survived and I tell you what I have all the respect in the world for a attacker with a knife. My brother was shot with a .38 same diameter round only heavier, he survived also, and was also shot in the arm. It shattered his bone. I carried M39 as issued sidearm and had full confidence in it with hollow points, but I would have still used it with FMJ instead of tossing it. I also fatally shot a armed robber with two 125gr .38+p Silvertips which stopped him in his tracks. The same bullet that was used in my M39. Just recently I stopped a charging pit bull with a 9mm makarov, less weight, and less velocity than a 9mm Nato.

I would not have a problem with 9mm, and I certainly would not be foolish enough to toss one at somebody if that is all I had to defend myself.

j4l

"be foolish enough to toss one at somebody if that is all I had to defend myself. "

^ it was a thing we call sarcasm...