• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Adding Another Gun To My Collection; Suggestions?

Hitech redneck

Nice choices! You know your pig iron.

That's a really nice compilation of guns and I'm thinking any of them would make you happy (for awhile). I have that same problem of tiring easily with something. May I suggest 2 things that I've started looking at when I buy now.
First I try and keep calibers down to 3. I have 2 nine mm, 2 45's, and 3 223's, and don't really count my 22. My point is I think ammo is only going to get more expensive so why not just limit having to keep so many calibers? In addition to this choice of calibers I have decided that I wanted to keep the rounds most popular with gov/le/etc. and if the SHTF and you need a common round found in Gov. gun.
Second I like options, lots and lots of choices and lots and lots of suppliers for an infinite combination of choices. What I mean is I like making the gun my own and I love trigger jobs to barrel swaps to grips, lights, sights, hi capacity mags, internal upgrades, you name it I'll try it at least once.
So with both those things in mind, ( and nothing personal about any of these weapons) but, even though FN makes a awesome gun they don't offer much in aftermarket. I owned the fn 45 tactical loved it. Had the red dot sight the works, only one place to buy a holster for it. Mags for FN are extremely high! So the same can be said for HK they have more options for aftermarket but again very expensive. See where I'm going? I think the collection you currently have probably comes close to that mentality anyway. Why not expand on different models within the calibers of guns you have? Parts may or may not interchange you can have fun with customization of them ie your Glocks.
Last but not least one gun you left off your list is a S&W Govenor. Now I'm not a revolver man but oh my is this thing awesome and boy does it have a big hole for a barrel. Never mind the Winchester PDX1 410 shotshells it shoots.

tcmech

Ria/armscore is a great choice. If you want American 1911s then springfeild and auto ord have some cheap good 1911s I have a auto ord and no real failures except with mags. Fixed that with a few snap cap runs.

Oops meant smith & Wesson not Springfield.

Springfield does have good cheap ones though.

Springfield Armorey does not manufacture their 1911's in the US. It is my understanding that they make their frames in Brazil same as Taurus.

MainelyGlock

In addition to this choice of calibers I have decided that I wanted to keep the rounds most popular with gov/le/etc. and if the SHTF and you need a common round found in Gov. gun.

I've been doing this for the most part. Most of the PD in the area I live carry Glock 22's, as well as the state troopers. If I'm not mistaken, a lot of federal agencies also use them. After all, the .40S&W round was developed for the FBI, and fairly recently too. But this is also the reason I went with a .223/5.56 AR-15 instead of a 7.62/.308, and the 12-gauge instead of a .410/10-GA, etc. All about the availability of ammo, especially when everything gets turned upside down! Very solid advice.

Second I like options, lots and lots of choices and lots and lots of suppliers for an infinite combination of choices. What I mean is I like making the gun my own and I love trigger jobs to barrel swaps to grips, lights, sights, hi capacity mags, internal upgrades, you name it I'll try it at least once.
So with both those things in mind, ( and nothing personal about any of these weapons) but, even though FN makes a awesome gun they don't offer much in aftermarket. I owned the fn 45 tactical loved it. Had the red dot sight the works, only one place to buy a holster for it. Mags for FN are extremely high! So the same can be said for HK they have more options for aftermarket but again very expensive. See where I'm going? I think the collection you currently have probably comes close to that mentality anyway. Why not expand on different models within the calibers of guns you have? Parts may or may not interchange you can have fun with customization of them ie your Glocks.
Last but not least one gun you left off your list is a S&W Govenor. Now I'm not a revolver man but oh my is this thing awesome and boy does it have a big hole for a barrel. Never mind the Winchester PDX1 410 shotshells it shoots.

I am also a fan of aftermarket parts. Though the Glock I carry has now been returned to it's stock configuration, it at one point had a lot of stuff on it. My third-gen Glock 22 has quite a few modifications; some that serve a purpose, and some for looks. While it is nice, it's not necessary for me to be able to add stuff to my guns as long as they work well out of the box (though it is nice). That being said, the aftermarket parts-world is one of the reasons I am leaning towards a 1911 a lot more now. My list has been shortened to the PPQ, or a 1911, probably the Kimber TLE II. Another Glock would be sweet, but I do kind of want to expand. That will wait until tax season :D Ruled out H&K because they don't seem worth it for the price, and FN because I could buy a pistol of similar quality for half the price those cost. I'd rather do the latter and spend the difference on ammo.

I have had the chance to shoot the Governor. The fact that it can chamber three different rounds is awesome, and downright sexy haha. Unfortunately, I think it would serve me better as a home defense gun or a "car gun" (more like a get-to-the-mossberg-in-the-trunk-gun). Not sure I would ever carry a wheelgun, though people do swear by them and have for quite a long time.

Thank for for the suggestions and advice! I really love hearing from people.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
+5000 internet points for the Rock Island Armory 1911s. The RIA 1911s ruin the whole "get what you pay for" crap. They are excellent handguns. My RIA GI EATS ANYTHING i put in it. Never a jam, not even on hollow points.

Taurus 1911s (and handguns in general) are hit or miss with my experience. I've owned a few taurus handguns and only kept my 9mm PT1911 for plinking at the range, and even that went back to taurus for repairs when I got it NIB. Some people will tell you they own 1,000 taurus guns and they are all perfect. I'll tell you that they are so controversial for a reason.

But back to your main decision- GO WITH THE SUPPRESSOR, do something different!

MainelyGlock

+5000 internet points for the Rock Island Armory 1911s. The RIA 1911s ruin the whole "get what you pay for" crap. They are excellent handguns. My RIA GI EATS ANYTHING i put in it. Never a jam, not even on hollow points.

Taurus 1911s (and handguns in general) are hit or miss with my experience. I've owned a few taurus handguns and only kept my 9mm PT1911 for plinking at the range, and even that went back to taurus for repairs when I got it NIB. Some people will tell you they own 1,000 taurus guns and they are all perfect. I'll tell you that they are so controversial for a reason.

But back to your main decision- GO WITH THE SUPPRESSOR, do something different!

Sweet, thanks for the suggestion. Any model in particular you're a fan of?

That's what I've always heard as far as Taurus semi-autos, and it's kind of proven to be true with my PT709. I like it, but it's not as accurate as I'd like it to be. It has been very reliable otherwise though, and was a great CC gun.

Suppressor would be awesome! Like the 1911's, it's whole other world that I need to do research on. I'm a huge fan of the Silencero ones just from the videos I've seen. If I went this route, I'd probably buy a threaded 9mm conversion barrel because there are more suppressors on the market for that cartridge than the .40.

Hitech redneck

Sweet, thanks for the suggestion. Any model in particular you're a fan of?

That's what I've always heard as far as Taurus semi-autos, and it's kind of proven to be true with my PT709. I like it, but it's not as accurate as I'd like it to be. It has been very reliable otherwise though, and was a great CC gun.

Suppressor would be awesome! Like the 1911's, it's whole other world that I need to do research on. I'm a huge fan of the Silencero ones just from the videos I've seen. If I went this route, I'd probably buy a threaded 9mm conversion barrel because there are more suppressors on the market for that cartridge than the .40.
Really when it comes to suppressors there's two greats silencerco an AAC and the osprey is the top dog for DB reduction. Now for something to save you money buy a silencer for a 45 and all the bushing attachments, silencerco makes the osprey to easily do this, that way you cover 45, 40, 9mm with one silencer.

MainelyGlock

Alright everyone, I'll hopefully be making the purchase this thursday or Friday. So far it's been narrowed down to the PPQ, M&P range kit, and the FN FNX. All in 9mm.

Got a chance to shoot the FNX yesterday and I LOVE it! I think the only difference between the FNX and the FNS is the hammer vs. striker? Anyways, shot a Glock 23 as well, and I'm not a fan of it. Glad I got to use one before I bought it. I LOVE Glocks, but I could not get a solid grip on that thing when shooting it. Glock 19, maybe. A 1911 will have to wait until Uncle Sam gives me my money back !

Thanks for everyones input! But... which should I get out of those three?

DangerClose

I don't know about the PPQ. For the other two, the FNX is pretty darn big, isn't it? It's been a bit since I've played with one and may be thinking of an FNP. It's hard to go wrong with an M&P, though to me the FNX is more interesting, due to rarity if nothing else. M&Ps and Glocks are both good, but they're also both boring imo.

MainelyGlock

I don't know about the PPQ. For the other two, the FNX is pretty darn big, isn't it? It's been a bit since I've played with one and may be thinking of an FNP. It's hard to go wrong with an M&P, though to me the FNX is more interesting, due to rarity if nothing else. M&Ps and Glocks are both good, but they're also both boring imo.

PPQ feels amazing, and has the best trigger I've ever seen or used on a handgun. The FNX is pretty big, yeah. They are all kind of boring if you ask me haha. But I'm looking for something, anything, besides a Glock because I'd like to use as many pistols as possible to see what I like best. Worst case scenario, I buy something and resell it or trade it for my next obsession. I did see a Gen 3 Glock 26 in factory OD green for $500 that is tempting though... those are getting rarer and rarer.

rugerlcr357lg

Buncha automatics I see

Anyone that wants a beautiful feeling trigger, wheel gun with nothing but great reviews, should look at the LCR Ruger. I bought a Ruger LCR 357 with the laser grip. Seems the perfect personal protection piece!

WalkingWolf

I have had several 1911's over my lifetime, including one most would think was a piece of junk. I paid $100 for it as a teen, and it was rusty, rattled, and never failed. I traded it years later for a new Colt, plus a Italian cap and ball revolver. I had no idea what the gun was worth, to me it was a gun. I have built two on a inexpensive frames that functioned flawlessly, one with a stainless frame that functioned flawlessly. Colts were built to interchange parts in the early years with minimum skills. IMO probably most problems with 1911 fall to the nut behind the wheel.

But I can understand why someone who pays 5 grand for a gun might diss a five hundred dollar gun that throws lead just as good. But then my vehicles get down the road just fine with factory steel rims, instead of those 2 grand apiece shiny rims.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Because long guns are off-topic here.

(sigh) The link takes you to a .50 cal Beowulf upper. As in both pistol and rifle ARs.

If anything his post was verboten because the AR pistol is not a normal holstered carry gun, rather than being violative for being a long gun. But, if you want to apply that rule, you'll have to go lock thread by 1245A Defender about his new .50 Desert Eagle.

Last edited: