Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here, can someone summarize what I need to know about open carry?

New here, can someone summarize what I need to know about open carry?

I'm a frequent poster on another forum site, so I know how this game goes. No one likes the new guy, and no one wants to be him.
    I've read the stickies, but I'm looking for personal advice/ stories on open carrying.
    Will I be harassed by the police? How will I deal with the police if they are called? Am I required to show ANY form of ID (Drivers license)? Will they treat me any different if I am open carrying? Are there any areas that aren't listed on the list of no gun zones that I can't carry? (Mall, etc). Must the gun be sold to me, or can it be gifted? How do I go about registering it?
    My old man has a sexy Makarov .380 pistol that's never been shot in his gun chest.
    I'm 17, 18 in 6 days FYI, so I'm a young bro.
    Last edited by Rainingblood; 07-24-2012 at 12:48 AM.

I wouldn't suggest OC'ing or carry of any kind, for anyone, without knowing more then just a summary of the laws that pertain to firearms. I would re-read the stickies:

"wash, rinse, repeat" (and watch the video link at the bottom)

"the 4 MSP updates" (and understand the laws stated in them)

"Why open carry" and there is another paper written by Malignity, edited by autosurgeon called "Open carry: A guide to both positive and negative encounters with law enforcement and the public in michigan" which i can't seem to find on here im sure someone has a link somewhere? (both very informative)

And "List your OC experiences here" for more personal stories and how day to day is for people who do carry.

I would become well versed in all this info and anything else on the forum that catches your eye and become VERY familier with the laws, too name a few

MCL# 123.1102
    MCL# 28.425o
    MCL# 750.234d
    MCL# 750.234e
    MCL# 750.277
    MCL# 750.552
    MCL# 780.972

I'm sure there are some more things people will think of I've forgotten but that should be enough to get you started. Study this stuff and know it before you decide to carry, and get a recorder!

Sorry, Welcome to the forums!

Quote Originally Posted by Adams182 View Post
    I wouldn't suggest OC'ing or carry of any kind, for anyone, without knowing more then just a summary of the laws that pertain to firearms. I would re-read the stickies:

"wash, rinse, repeat" (and watch the video link at the bottom)

"the 4 MSP updates" (and understand the laws stated in them)

"Why open carry" and there is another paper written by Malignity, edited by autosurgeon called "Open carry: A guide to both positive and negative encounters with law enforcement and the public in michigan" which i can't seem to find on here im sure someone has a link somewhere? (both very informative)

And "List your OC experiences here" for more personal stories and how day to day is for people who do carry.

I would become well versed in all this info and anything else on the forum that catches your eye and become VERY familier with the laws, too name a few

MCL# 123.1102
    MCL# 28.425o
    MCL# 750.234d
    MCL# 750.234e
    MCL# 750.277
    MCL# 750.552
    MCL# 780.972

I'm sure there are some more things people will think of I've forgotten but that should be enough to get you started. Study this stuff and know it before you decide to carry, and get a recorder!
    Thank you.
    Is a recorder mandatory?

Not mandatory, Highly advisable. Having a simple recording device turns your word against someone else's (LEO or not) into actual evidence if you ever found yourself jammed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Adams182 View Post
    Not mandatory, Highly advisable. Having a simple recording device turns your word against someone else's (LEO or not) into actual evidence if you ever found yourself jammed up.
    Have you gotten jammed up before?
    And off topic question: Is my gun ever to leave my hip in any situation that is non violent? IE. Sitting down at a restaurant, gun is poking me in the side and I set it on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainingblood View Post
    Thank you.
    Is a recorder mandatory?
    It is not mandatory by law. But it should be one of the very first "accessories" that you purchase. I have only been carrying myself for a couple of months now, but I won't go anywhere CC or OC without mine. It's better if you can get video as well, but at the very least, audio!

Will I be harassed by the police?
    Possibly. It is not always the case, but one should expect it in the manner that you should definitely not go out OC'ing thinking that they WON'T stop you.

How will I deal with the police if they are called?
    I personally think this is a very situational question. There are ways to stand your ground with Law Enforcement and remain calm and professional about it as well. It's not a "******* contest". Many LEO need to be educated much like the public. Not to mention those on "the other side of the fence" are more apt to hear our side and understand what we are doing if we handle ourselves in a professional manner. A ha ha look at me I have a gun and you can't do anything about it attitude is a lose lose situation. (by no means am I saying that is your attitude, I am just forewarning against it.)

Am I required to show ANY form of ID (Drivers license)?
    Technically, I believe this answer is no... again, situational. I personally feel that if you were stopped because you have a baby face, much like I did at 18, then yes it is understandable to why you were stopped. Many may differ from my opinion. However, on the flipside, if they are only stopping you because you have a gun on your hip. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.... much easier said than done in a lot of circumstances.

Will they treat me any different if I am open carrying?
    Sometimes. For me OC was more of a personal adjustment. I found that most people didn't even see it, or just didn't care. It definitely helps to study up on what the law says about it. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. I personally have met little to no opposition as of yet.

Are there any areas that aren't listed on the list of no gun zones that I can't carry?
    Keep this in mind about pistol free zones. A business does not necessarily have to sell alcohol if they have a liquor license. I don't believe Aldi sells alcohol, but they do have a liquor license, therefore without a CPL you cannot open carry in these places. Check this link -->Michigan Liquor Control Commission

And as already mentioned. Learn what the law says. I know a guy that has everything bookmarked on his phone just in case he needs to reference it in a pinch.

I'm still learning too, but hopefully you find at least some of this helpful.

And off topic question: Is my gun ever to leave my hip in any situation that is non violent? IE. Sitting down at a restaurant, gun is poking me in the side and I set it on the table.
    The answer to this is.. ABSOLUTELY NOT. It remains HOLSTERED at ALL times. I cannot stress that enough, also you really don't want to be drawing attention to yourself. A good holster, and some practice with finding where it fits the best on your body will remedy "getting poked in the side." Besidse, OC is EXTREMELY comfortable. When I am forced to CC, especially with my "tuckable" holster, it can be quite annoying. You get used to it though.

There are also "violent" situations that you may be in that do not warrant you drawing from your holster. Honestly, and I can probably speak for a vast majority if not all when I say: The last thing any of us want to have to do is draw that sidearm. But it is there if needed.
    Last edited by Nav0341; 07-24-2012 at 02:54 AM.

Welcome!
    May I suggest: Make a list of your questions and meet up with someone from here on the forum. There are lots of good people on here that are very knowledgeable that live in your area.
    I have found that having someone "explain" some things in conversation tends to sink in quicker than reading them. But by all means, do study the laws...repeatedly!
    As already stated; LEARN the relevant laws BEFORE you start to carry. You don't want to get jammed up because of ignorance and possibly lose your right to carry ever again.

Quick reference carry chart

Carry safe
    Attached Files Attached Files

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    my troll senses are tingling... i'm usually one of the first to welcome a new arrival and i'll be the first to apologize if i'm wrong... but, this poster's screen name is my first issue. especially since they just appeared after the CO shooting. and some of the questions just don't seem quit right. is it ok to set your gun on the table? i really have serious doubts.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    my troll senses are tingling... i'm usually one of the first to welcome a new arrival and i'll be the first to apologize if i'm wrong... but, this poster's screen name is my first issue. especially since they just appeared after the CO shooting. and some of the questions just don't seem quit right. is it ok to set your gun on the table? i really have serious doubts.
    Although I usually give benefit of doubt to new posters, I have to agree.
    Last edited by DrTodd; 07-24-2012 at 09:44 AM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

thanks, i'm glad i wasn't the only one

Banned
    Possibly...

I tend to agree but, better to greet with answers and advice than condemnation; which happens all too often here.

Quote Originally Posted by WARCHILD View Post
    I tend to agree but, better to greet with answers and advice than condemnation; which happens all too often here.
    You and others have done that, which is good; my agreement to smellslikemichigan in no way is a criticism of the posts that gave good information.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    You and others have done that, which is good; my agreement to smellslikemichigan in no way is a criticism of the posts that gave good information.
    I understand that and I'm sorry; I didn't mean to imply anyone was. It was just a generalized statement of the best way to respond to new posts.

JMO of course.

Other's have given good, detailed responses, but I'll chime in briefly.
    I'm a frequent poster on another forum site, so I know how this game goes. No one likes the new guy, and no one wants to be him.
    Not true. When I was new I had no problems here or on other firearms forums.
    I've read the stickies, but I'm looking for personal advice/ stories on open carrying.
    Read the stickies again. And again. There is also a sticky thread at the top for OC stories.
    Will I be harassed by the police?
    Since you are (will be) 18, it's possible. I have never been hassled by anyone.
    How will I deal with the police if they are called? Am I required to show ANY form of ID (Drivers license)?
    Be polite. You are not required to ID (unless you are CCing), but since you are young the police will probably be especially insistent on seeing an ID. If you refuse to produce one I can see them arresting you until you provide one to prove you are 18.

What's up with your screen name?
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams
    Wheels

Welcome aboard, my advice is read and study. Then read some more. Put some time and effort in and you will find your answers usually multiple times.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

yeah. the set the gun on the table part has me concerned. either troll, or someone who REALLY needs some advice and some basic gun safety training before being ready to carry.
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    yeah. the set the gun on the table part has me concerned. either troll, or someone who REALLY needs some advice and some basic gun safety training before being ready to carry.

I agree, not to.. jump the gun, on anybody but that's why I stopped after post #6

I too had a moment of " ..... ". However I am still giving the benefit of the doubt here. Especially because it was actually kinda nice to at least give SOME pointers based on what I have learned. All well, even if the OP is a troll, at least I got some practice in.

Everyone can rest easy. Although I'd say it's a poor choice for this forum, his name is the title of a popular song by the band Slayer. Even if it is a troll, the information in this thread is helpful to all newcomers.
    Last edited by FerretMI; 07-24-2012 at 07:28 PM.

aha, slayer, well that makes more sense now. i haven't concluded final judgement yet, i just wanted to throw the idea out there. and i think everyone has been reasonably polite and we'll continue to be so until we get burned.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    aha, slayer, well that makes more sense now. i haven't concluded final judgement yet, i just wanted to throw the idea out there. and i think everyone has been reasonably polite and we'll continue to be so until we get burned.
    All is not as it would seem to be always - provocateurs will bait you.

While OCDO does not automatically ban those with divergent opinions, there are remedies for those that mislead the forum.

More often than not, you can trust your gut. Have confirmed mine. My finger hovers over the button.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Lightbulb

Providing Truth and Facts about OC is all thats needed,troll or not!Welcome Adams182 and learn about Your Right to Protect Yourself and the state(fellow citizens),according to Article 1 Sec. 6 of the MI Constitution!CARRY ON!
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast