• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New here, can someone summarize what I need to know about open carry?

Rainingblood

I'm a frequent poster on another forum site, so I know how this game goes. No one likes the new guy, and no one wants to be him.
I've read the stickies, but I'm looking for personal advice/ stories on open carrying.
Will I be harassed by the police? How will I deal with the police if they are called? Am I required to show ANY form of ID (Drivers license)? Will they treat me any different if I am open carrying? Are there any areas that aren't listed on the list of no gun zones that I can't carry? (Mall, etc). Must the gun be sold to me, or can it be gifted? How do I go about registering it?
My old man has a sexy Makarov .380 pistol that's never been shot in his gun chest.
I'm 17, 18 in 6 days FYI, so I'm a young bro.

Last edited:

Adams182

I wouldn't suggest OC'ing or carry of any kind, for anyone, without knowing more then just a summary of the laws that pertain to firearms. I would re-read the stickies:

"wash, rinse, repeat" (and watch the video link at the bottom)

"the 4 MSP updates" (and understand the laws stated in them)

"Why open carry" and there is another paper written by Malignity, edited by autosurgeon called "Open carry: A guide to both positive and negative encounters with law enforcement and the public in michigan" which i can't seem to find on here im sure someone has a link somewhere? (both very informative)

And "List your OC experiences here" for more personal stories and how day to day is for people who do carry.

I would become well versed in all this info and anything else on the forum that catches your eye and become VERY familier with the laws, too name a few

MCL# 123.1102
MCL# 28.425o
MCL# 750.234d
MCL# 750.234e
MCL# 750.277
MCL# 750.552
MCL# 780.972

I'm sure there are some more things people will think of I've forgotten but that should be enough to get you started. Study this stuff and know it before you decide to carry, and get a recorder!

Rainingblood

I wouldn't suggest OC'ing or carry of any kind, for anyone, without knowing more then just a summary of the laws that pertain to firearms. I would re-read the stickies:

"wash, rinse, repeat" (and watch the video link at the bottom)

"the 4 MSP updates" (and understand the laws stated in them)

"Why open carry" and there is another paper written by Malignity, edited by autosurgeon called "Open carry: A guide to both positive and negative encounters with law enforcement and the public in michigan" which i can't seem to find on here im sure someone has a link somewhere? (both very informative)

And "List your OC experiences here" for more personal stories and how day to day is for people who do carry.

I would become well versed in all this info and anything else on the forum that catches your eye and become VERY familier with the laws, too name a few

MCL# 123.1102
MCL# 28.425o
MCL# 750.234d
MCL# 750.234e
MCL# 750.277
MCL# 750.552
MCL# 780.972

I'm sure there are some more things people will think of I've forgotten but that should be enough to get you started. Study this stuff and know it before you decide to carry, and get a recorder!
Thank you.
Is a recorder mandatory?

Adams182

Not mandatory, Highly advisable. Having a simple recording device turns your word against someone else's (LEO or not) into actual evidence if you ever found yourself jammed up.

Rainingblood

Not mandatory, Highly advisable. Having a simple recording device turns your word against someone else's (LEO or not) into actual evidence if you ever found yourself jammed up.

Have you gotten jammed up before?
And off topic question: Is my gun ever to leave my hip in any situation that is non violent? IE. Sitting down at a restaurant, gun is poking me in the side and I set it on the table.

Nav0341

Thank you.
Is a recorder mandatory?

It is not mandatory by law. But it should be one of the very first "accessories" that you purchase. I have only been carrying myself for a couple of months now, but I won't go anywhere CC or OC without mine. It's better if you can get video as well, but at the very least, audio!

Will I be harassed by the police?
Possibly. It is not always the case, but one should expect it in the manner that you should definitely not go out OC'ing thinking that they WON'T stop you.

How will I deal with the police if they are called?
I personally think this is a very situational question. There are ways to stand your ground with Law Enforcement and remain calm and professional about it as well. It's not a "******* contest". Many LEO need to be educated much like the public. Not to mention those on "the other side of the fence" are more apt to hear our side and understand what we are doing if we handle ourselves in a professional manner. A ha ha look at me I have a gun and you can't do anything about it attitude is a lose lose situation. (by no means am I saying that is your attitude, I am just forewarning against it.)

Am I required to show ANY form of ID (Drivers license)?
Technically, I believe this answer is no... again, situational. I personally feel that if you were stopped because you have a baby face, much like I did at 18, then yes it is understandable to why you were stopped. Many may differ from my opinion. However, on the flipside, if they are only stopping you because you have a gun on your hip. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.... much easier said than done in a lot of circumstances.

Will they treat me any different if I am open carrying?
Sometimes. For me OC was more of a personal adjustment. I found that most people didn't even see it, or just didn't care. It definitely helps to study up on what the law says about it. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. I personally have met little to no opposition as of yet.

Are there any areas that aren't listed on the list of no gun zones that I can't carry?
Keep this in mind about pistol free zones. A business does not necessarily have to sell alcohol if they have a liquor license. I don't believe Aldi sells alcohol, but they do have a liquor license, therefore without a CPL you cannot open carry in these places. Check this link -->Michigan Liquor Control Commission

And as already mentioned. Learn what the law says. I know a guy that has everything bookmarked on his phone just in case he needs to reference it in a pinch.

I'm still learning too, but hopefully you find at least some of this helpful.

Nav0341

And off topic question: Is my gun ever to leave my hip in any situation that is non violent? IE. Sitting down at a restaurant, gun is poking me in the side and I set it on the table.

The answer to this is.. ABSOLUTELY NOT. It remains HOLSTERED at ALL times. I cannot stress that enough, also you really don't want to be drawing attention to yourself. A good holster, and some practice with finding where it fits the best on your body will remedy "getting poked in the side." Besidse, OC is EXTREMELY comfortable. When I am forced to CC, especially with my "tuckable" holster, it can be quite annoying. You get used to it though.

There are also "violent" situations that you may be in that do not warrant you drawing from your holster. Honestly, and I can probably speak for a vast majority if not all when I say: The last thing any of us want to have to do is draw that sidearm. But it is there if needed.

Last edited:

WARCHILD

Welcome!
May I suggest: Make a list of your questions and meet up with someone from here on the forum. There are lots of good people on here that are very knowledgeable that live in your area.
I have found that having someone "explain" some things in conversation tends to sink in quicker than reading them. But by all means, do study the laws...repeatedly!
As already stated; LEARN the relevant laws BEFORE you start to carry. You don't want to get jammed up because of ignorance and possibly lose your right to carry ever again.

Quick reference carry chart

Carry safe

Attachments

• Carry Chart 1.pdf
    16.2 KB · Views: 105

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
my troll senses are tingling... i'm usually one of the first to welcome a new arrival and i'll be the first to apologize if i'm wrong... but, this poster's screen name is my first issue. especially since they just appeared after the CO shooting. and some of the questions just don't seem quit right. is it ok to set your gun on the table? i really have serious doubts.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
my troll senses are tingling... i'm usually one of the first to welcome a new arrival and i'll be the first to apologize if i'm wrong... but, this poster's screen name is my first issue. especially since they just appeared after the CO shooting. and some of the questions just don't seem quit right. is it ok to set your gun on the table? i really have serious doubts.

Although I usually give benefit of doubt to new posters, I have to agree. :uhoh:

Last edited:

WARCHILD

You and others have done that, which is good; my agreement to smellslikemichigan in no way is a criticism of the posts that gave good information.

I understand that and I'm sorry; I didn't mean to imply anyone was. It was just a generalized statement of the best way to respond to new posts.

JMO of course.

griffin

Other's have given good, detailed responses, but I'll chime in briefly.
I'm a frequent poster on another forum site, so I know how this game goes. No one likes the new guy, and no one wants to be him.
Not true. When I was new I had no problems here or on other firearms forums.
I've read the stickies, but I'm looking for personal advice/ stories on open carrying.
Read the stickies again. And again. There is also a sticky thread at the top for OC stories.
Will I be harassed by the police?
Since you are (will be) 18, it's possible. I have never been hassled by anyone.
How will I deal with the police if they are called? Am I required to show ANY form of ID (Drivers license)?
Be polite. You are not required to ID (unless you are CCing), but since you are young the police will probably be especially insistent on seeing an ID. If you refuse to produce one I can see them arresting you until you provide one to prove you are 18.

What's up with your screen name?

detroit_fan

yeah. the set the gun on the table part has me concerned. either troll, or someone who REALLY needs some advice and some basic gun safety training before being ready to carry.

Adams182

yeah. the set the gun on the table part has me concerned. either troll, or someone who REALLY needs some advice and some basic gun safety training before being ready to carry.

I agree, not to.. jump the gun, on anybody :rolleyes:but that's why I stopped after post #6