• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

oc on me and in car

matthewstroy

since i am new these questions may sound dumb to some but i dont know the answers 1.is it legal for me to open carry any where i choose on public property as long as no ordinance is inforced and any private that has not posted it 2 when carring in my vehicle how must it be carried on my side or in glove compartment out of reach of me and if in glove comp can it still be loaded

HighFlyingA380

in Nevada, yes.
in Missouri, no.

where are you?
state laws matter!

post your quiries in state specific forums for best results.

welcome to OCDO
Umm... You need to check your facts. Missouri is OC legal. The local counties and municipalities can restrict it, but that's really only an issue near St. Louis and KC.

And to the OP, definitely post in the individual state forums; you'll get people who actually know the laws pertaining to the actual state/locale.

1245A Defender

well,,,

Umm... You need to check your facts. Missouri is OC legal. The local counties and municipalities can restrict it, but that's really only an issue near St. Louis and KC.

And to the OP, definitely post in the individual state forums; you'll get people who actually know the laws pertaining to the actual state/locale.

I answered the OPs question as poorly as he asked it...

I gave good advice,,, ask the guys in the state...

The NO I gave to missouri is based on my study of their OC restrictions.
There is an obscure holstering reqirement that no part of the gun my be covered!
Most folks there know OC is allowed, but anyone wishing to OC there should study and understand how that law will work for and against them..

BTW... Notice he hasnt been back?? I bet he hasnt even read my posted reply..

Last edited:

SixGunCowboy

OC in car in Missouri

You are allowed to O.C. Inside your car as long as your weapon is clearly visible to the Officers should you get stopped. If I remember correctly, your car is an extension of your home under Missouri Castle Doctrine law. So, therefore it is legal for you to have your firearm with you while in the car. You CANNOT however have your hand anywhere near your weapon while in view of officers, again should you be stopped by Missouri Police. Should you be stopped and your weapon is hidden somewhere in the vehicle, you do not have to inform the Police that you are carrying unless they opt to search the vehicle only if they have probable cause.

Last edited:

HighFlyingA380

You are allowed to O.C. Inside your car as long as your weapon is clearly visible to the Officers should you get stopped. If I remember correctly, your car is an extension of your home under Missouri Castle Doctrine law. So, therefore it is legal for you to have your firearm with you while in the car. You CANNOT however have your hand anywhere near your weapon while in view of officers, again should you be stopped by Missouri Police. Should you be stopped and your weapon is hidden somewhere in the vehicle, you do not have to inform the Police that you are carrying unless they opt to search the vehicle only if they have probable cause.
I agree it is a poorly written question, being that there is no punctuation or grammar. On the other hand, it does seem like a fairly straight froward question. I would easily assume from the context that he is not asking about the states of Nevada and Missouri, but more so that he is asking about the town of Nevada, Missouri. In this case, his question regarding OC in Missouri is that is is legal, but the town of Nevada, MO may regulate it. Looking at their firearms ordinances online:

"Sec. 23-27. - Same—Carrying while loaded prohibited.

No person shall carry, transport or have in possession any gun, revolver, pistol, shotgun, rifle or other firearm, loaded with any explosive and bullet, shot or other projectile, on the public streets, alleys or other public thoroughfares, nor in or upon publicly owned land in the city; provided, that nothing in this section shall apply to those persons set out in subsections (c) and (e) of section 23-26. No person shall refuse to permit any police officer from inspecting any such firearm to determine if the same is so loaded.

(a)This provision does not apply to lawful conduct authorized under state statutes found in RSMo ch. 571.

(b)No interpretation of this ordinance inconsistent with the provisions and exceptions of RSMo ch. 571. And judicial decisions interpreting the same are intended or permitted."

It would appear the the town of Nevada, MO forbids OC, since the state only permits municipalities to regulate it. There is, however, an exemption called the Peaceable Journey law which permits you, at the state level, to carry in your vehicle, however you want. It can be loaded, open, concealed upon you, concealed in your vehicle, however you choose.

Now, it according to 23-27, it states that the gun cannot be loaded. It appears that it would be legal to do UOC (Unloaded Open Carry), where the gun is completely unloaded (no loaded mag, no loaded chamber) and you carry a magazine in your pocket or in a mag pouch. (Basically what California used to have.)

The same section also states this rule only applies to public places. Therefore, OC on your property, or any other private property with the owners permission is allowable, and it could be loaded in these places.

(Keep in mind, I am not a lawyer, and you are solely responsible for conducting yourself in a legal manner. If you want to know for sure, hire a lawyer.)

Last edited:

HighFlyingA380

As I stated in the above post, you can carry however you want in your vehicle; it doesn't need to be visible to be legal. And sure, you can have your hand near your weapon if you want, but it's just not too smart. If I have to reach towards my weapon, like to get my wallet, I'll inform the officer first. Otherwise, I don't even say anything about it.

Also, good point in stating there is no duty to inform in Missouri. If the cop doesn't see it or ask about it, then you don't have to tell them you have it. Even if they do ask if you have a gun, you don't have to tell them yes, you just can't lie. I personally recommend pleading the 5th in this case. Since we're on the topic of talking to cops, I recommend watching this excellent video. It's kinda long, but has great info.

HighFlyingA380

Cite please.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Oh yeah, I forgot to say this ^^^ :banghead: The only law pertaining in any way to holsters that I've heard of is one that says the gun must simply be identifiable as a firearm, meaning no "flap" holsters that cover the entire gun. Really the only way to carry a gun where a holster doesn't cover any of it is by getting one of those stupid little clips that's fixed to the side of the gun. This is obviously a terrible idea.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

well,,,

Sooo you guys are from that state,,, good.
I dont have a cite,, but i did look back through 13 pages of the forum trying to find threads
that talked about some of the backwards local ordinances i had read about before.
I spent some time following a poster named milproguy that was demanding to know the open carry laws.
You know that missouri does NOT have a true preemption law,
and that any and all towns, cities, and counties can make their own laws about OC!
You do know that it is true,,, that legal open carry in missouri is a hit and miss, depending on location...
that is why i said NO!

I wasnt just talking out of my a$$, but I wasnt posting from a position of Know it all either...

He still hasnt been back....

4angrybadgers

Sooo you guys are from that state,,, good.
I dont have a cite,, but i did look back through 13 pages of the forum trying to find threads
that talked about some of the backwards local ordinances i had read about before.
I spent some time following a poster named milproguy that was demanding to know the open carry laws.
<snip>
You're thinking of Mississippi and MilProGuy.

And even then, it is not a requirement in Mississippi for the firearm to be fully visible. That is a horribly misquoted quote from a concurring decision in a Mississippi Supreme Court case; it was more of Chief Justice Lee's musings and from my memory of the case was not a main point of the decision.

edit: Found the majority opinion and Chief Justice Lee's concurring opinion posted in the MS forum. I did recall correctly, the whole meandering paragraph on "in part" had nothing to do with the facts of the case.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

Oh no....

You're thinking of Mississippi and MilProGuy.

And even then, it is not a requirement in Mississippi for the firearm to be fully visible. That is a horribly misquoted quote from a concurring decision in a Mississippi Supreme Court case; it was more of Chief Justice Lee's musings and from my memory of the case was not a main point of the decision.

edit: Found the majority opinion and Chief Justice Lee's concurring opinion posted in the MS forum. I did recall correctly, the whole meandering paragraph on "in part" had nothing to do with the facts of the case.

You are sooo right,,,I am sooo wrong....
No wonder I couldnt find any of the posts,,,I misremembered the wrong state.
My bad.
Iam sorry t all for the misdirection.