• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UK: Armed officers placed on routine foot patrol for first time

Morbidph8

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ed-on-routine-foot-patrol-for-first-time.html

Armed officers placed on routine foot patrol for first time

Police officers armed with submachine guns are to be deployed on routine patrol of Britain's streets for the first time. A hand-picked team from CO19, the Metropolitan Police's elite firearms unit, will walk the beat in gun crime hotspots where armed gangs have turned entire estates into "no go" zones.

Wait a minute! You mean England banned guns? Yet they have a problem with armed gangs? Now they need Cops with SMG's? Wow gun control really works.... :(

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Relax, Morbid -

British yoots (I believe they refer to them as "chavs" over there) do not, for the most part, carry firearms. That is left to their elders, and only a small number of them at that.[SUP]1[/SUP]

Chavs carry cricket bats, automobile radio antennae (when they can find the long ones), and until recently banned, knives.[SUP]2[/SUP]

They have become almost uncontrollable ever since two events took place: first the introduction of the Anti Social Behavior Order (ASBO); and second the case law ruling that citizens defending themselves agains the predation by using any force against them are guilty of the more serious crime of assault.

Because the British subject may no longer defend themself, they must call on the police. Because the chavs have a history of not only refusing to obey the orders of the traditional, unarmed, Police Constable it has become necessary to find something the chavs will fear if not respect.[SUP]3[/SUP]

stay safe.

[SUP]1[/SUP] - I know! Even if only one criminal had a firearm and used it in their crimes, it would be one too many when you are the victim facing that firearm.

[SUP]2[/SUP] - Ever since (f)GB banned all sharp and/or pointy cutting impliments this has been less of a threat. But you still might receive a serious bruise if attacked with a butter knife.

[SUP]3[/SUP] - My money is on the armed team from CO19 have a set of Rules of Engagement that prevents them from actually shooting anyone. However, that is not a sure bet - the level of frustration expressed by the folks on the street and in Parliment has of late been increasing by leaps and bounds.

Jay Jacobs

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ed-on-routine-foot-patrol-for-first-time.html

Armed officers placed on routine foot patrol for first time

Police officers armed with submachine guns are to be deployed on routine patrol of Britain's streets for the first time. A hand-picked team from CO19, the Metropolitan Police's elite firearms unit, will walk the beat in gun crime hotspots where armed gangs have turned entire estates into "no go" zones.

Wait a minute! You mean England banned guns? Yet they have a problem with armed gangs? Now they need Cops with SMG's? Wow gun control really works.... :(

Surely we'll see this reported on our U.S.A. national "news" networks soon.

Last edited:

FallonJeeper

Apparently banning guns does not stop violent crime. Just goes to show, guns weren't the cause, only a tool. If you take that tool away, they will find another tool, like cricket bats, car antennae and knives.

CCinMaine

" Gill Marshall-Andrews, chairwoman of the Gun Control Network campaign group, described the routine arming of officers as a "very retrograde step" and warned that it could lead to higher levels of gun crime."

How can anyone possibly think this is true? All I can think of is when on the "Simpsons" they banned all weapons and then aliens with 2x4s took over the world and were only driven back once the humans started fighting with 2x4s with nails affixed to them. Haha.

But seriously how does an armed cop deter crime but an armed citizen doesn't?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

FallonJeeper

Some people just fail to think it all the way through. It leaves the rest of the world scratching their heads and saying "huh?".