Thread: Media Hype, Colorado Shooting at theater, 100 Rd Drum looks like 30 round mag

Media Hype, Colorado Shooting at theater, 100 Rd Drum looks like 30 round mag

I keep hearing about this shooting and they are talking about a 100 round drum magazine on his AR15.

Numerous articles have talked about how if it had not jammed up, many more would be dead.

On Foxnews, quoting the latest police statements, they mention the 100 round drum, how it jammed and he left right after.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/23...e-source-says/

If the last magazine he used was a 100 round drum, why do we see a standard 30 round mag in the picture of his discarded AR15?

http://photos.denverpost.com/2012/07...ora-theater/#7

They seem to be preparing for another ban attempt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AR15.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	8925  

Mil-surp.
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

If I was a guessing man, I would say that it was probably green tip penetrators. It seemed like everyone was selling them at one time. 450 rounds in an ammo can with stripper clips.

Call me an a$$hole for saying this, but that AR probably saved plenty of peoples lives that day. He was hell bent on destruction and plenty capable of producing explosive devices. In a crowded theater like that, he could have easily did worse than what he did.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

It could have been that he tried changing mags (one of the reports said there were also live rounds on the ground, so he apparently tried immediate/remedial actions) and the gun still wouldn't fire. I can see this if he had a double-feed and didn't properly clear it, or if something in the actual gun messed up.

As for "armor piercing" there's several reasons they could say this. One could be the most deceptive, and that's that it's a rifle round and thus able to pierce most police body armor. The other could be that he was firing green-tipped ammo that does have a steel penetrator core.

I was in line at a gas station today and the clerks were talking about how that "gun nut" in Colorado shot up the movie theater, blah blah blah.

I got to the front of the line and said, "Actually, the people in that theater are very lucky the guy was not a gun nut as you say."

They looked at me kinda strange as I continued, "A gun nut would have known how to clear his firearm when it jammed. This guy was just a plain nut!"

They laughed and said I was probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by rscottie View Post
    I was in line at a gas station today and the clerks were talking about how that "gun nut" in Colorado shot up the movie theater, blah blah blah.

I got to the front of the line and said, "Actually, the people in that theater are very lucky the guy was not a gun nut as you say."

They looked at me kinda strange as I continued, "A gun nut would have known how to clear his firearm when it jammed. This guy was just a plain nut!"

They laughed and said I was probably right.
    Great timing for a great response, +1 to you, kind sir!

I hate the term 'Armor piercing!!!' What is or isn't AP depends on the type of armor you're talking about. Most ALL 223/5.56 ammo will penetrate standard police body armor, however NONE will so much as dent an M1 Abrams!!
    Lower the crime rate by lowering the criminal survival rate!
    When people say 'God Bless America' I'm sure He says, "I gave you Texas!"

Quote Originally Posted by mark-in-texas View Post
    I hate the term 'Armor piercing!!!' What is or isn't AP depends on the type of armor you're talking about. Most ALL 223/5.56 ammo will penetrate standard police body armor, however NONE will so much as dent an M1 Abrams!!
    We need to test this theory, care for a trip to Ft. Hood? Maybe we can get one of the range officers to find an old, decommissioned tank and let us shoot at it.

Quote Originally Posted by mark-in-texas View Post
    The "green tip" ammo has a steel penetrator core. What is the point of a "penetrator core" if not to pierce armor? nevermind that the point of it was to pierce a steel helmet from 600 meters.

Just because a round is "armor piercing" doesn't mean that it can defeat all armor out there. And just because a round can't defeat all armor out there doesn't mean it isn't an "armor piercing" round.

My only complaint would be if he just had regular ball ammo and they were calling it "armor piercing." But we don't know if that's the case or not.

Nothing adds up in this case.

The time frame, the bombs, booby traps, etc.

If he was really just trying to kill as many people as he could he went about it the wrong way. I still believe that this was as staged event. The timing on it was too much.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ca Patriot View Post
    Fox also said he was shooting "armor piercing ammo". Any confirmation of that ?
    I heard nuclear powered !

meanwhile, at the newspaper ... "Johnny, FMJ sounds boring, what do you think?" .. "Phil, have you not learned anything..call it armor piercing ammo! The shooter won't deny it today"

Not a 100rd mag for sure....30 rd one