• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Media Hype, Colorado Shooting at theater, 100 Rd Drum looks like 30 round mag

rscottie

I keep hearing about this shooting and they are talking about a 100 round drum magazine on his AR15.

Numerous articles have talked about how if it had not jammed up, many more would be dead.

On Foxnews, quoting the latest police statements, they mention the 100 round drum, how it jammed and he left right after.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/2...-theater-ready-to-kill-even-more-source-says/

If the last magazine he used was a 100 round drum, why do we see a standard 30 round mag in the picture of his discarded AR15?

http://photos.denverpost.com/2012/07/20/photos-shooting-at-aurora-theater/#7

They seem to be preparing for another ban attempt.

Attachments

• AR15.jpg
    AR15.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 212

09jisaac

If I was a guessing man, I would say that it was probably green tip penetrators. It seemed like everyone was selling them at one time. 450 rounds in an ammo can with stripper clips.

Call me an a$$hole for saying this, but that AR probably saved plenty of peoples lives that day. He was hell bent on destruction and plenty capable of producing explosive devices. In a crowded theater like that, he could have easily did worse than what he did.

Aknazer

It could have been that he tried changing mags (one of the reports said there were also live rounds on the ground, so he apparently tried immediate/remedial actions) and the gun still wouldn't fire. I can see this if he had a double-feed and didn't properly clear it, or if something in the actual gun messed up.

As for "armor piercing" there's several reasons they could say this. One could be the most deceptive, and that's that it's a rifle round and thus able to pierce most police body armor. The other could be that he was firing green-tipped ammo that does have a steel penetrator core.

Ca Patriot

Call me an a$$hole for saying this, but that AR probably saved plenty of peoples lives that day. He was hell bent on destruction and plenty capable of producing explosive devices. In a crowded theater like that, he could have easily did worse than what he did.

Exactly right. Witness statements appear to confirm that his rifle jammed and he wasnt able to clear it and resume firing with the AR.

When I first heard 12 dead and an AR being used in a crowded theater I thought something didnt add up. The only explination for the low body count was that the AR jammed and that prevented alot more deaths.

Reports are that possibly alot of victims were hit by the shotgun rounds and that didnt cause fatalities.

Good thing this guy was new to guns and not experienced enough to operate his AR correctly.

rscottie

I was in line at a gas station today and the clerks were talking about how that "gun nut" in Colorado shot up the movie theater, blah blah blah.

I got to the front of the line and said, "Actually, the people in that theater are very lucky the guy was not a gun nut as you say."

They looked at me kinda strange as I continued, "A gun nut would have known how to clear his firearm when it jammed. This guy was just a plain nut!"

They laughed and said I was probably right.

Jack House

I was in line at a gas station today and the clerks were talking about how that "gun nut" in Colorado shot up the movie theater, blah blah blah.

I got to the front of the line and said, "Actually, the people in that theater are very lucky the guy was not a gun nut as you say."

They looked at me kinda strange as I continued, "A gun nut would have known how to clear his firearm when it jammed. This guy was just a plain nut!"

They laughed and said I was probably right.
Great timing for a great response, +1 to you, kind sir!

mark-in-texas

I hate the term 'Armor piercing!!!' What is or isn't AP depends on the type of armor you're talking about. Most ALL 223/5.56 ammo will penetrate standard police body armor, however NONE will so much as dent an M1 Abrams!! :banghead::banghead:

Jack House

I hate the term 'Armor piercing!!!' What is or isn't AP depends on the type of armor you're talking about. Most ALL 223/5.56 ammo will penetrate standard police body armor, however NONE will so much as dent an M1 Abrams!! :banghead::banghead:
We need to test this theory, care for a trip to Ft. Hood? Maybe we can get one of the range officers to find an old, decommissioned tank and let us shoot at it.

Aknazer

The "green tip" ammo has a steel penetrator core. What is the point of a "penetrator core" if not to pierce armor? nevermind that the point of it was to pierce a steel helmet from 600 meters.

Just because a round is "armor piercing" doesn't mean that it can defeat all armor out there. And just because a round can't defeat all armor out there doesn't mean it isn't an "armor piercing" round.

My only complaint would be if he just had regular ball ammo and they were calling it "armor piercing." But we don't know if that's the case or not.

Freedom1Man

Nothing adds up in this case.

The time frame, the bombs, booby traps, etc.

If he was really just trying to kill as many people as he could he went about it the wrong way. I still believe that this was as staged event. The timing on it was too much.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Fox also said he was shooting "armor piercing ammo". Any confirmation of that ?

I heard nuclear powered !

meanwhile, at the newspaper ... "Johnny, FMJ sounds boring, what do you think?" .. "Phil, have you not learned anything..call it armor piercing ammo! The shooter won't deny it today"

Not a 100rd mag for sure....30 rd one