• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Paranoia vs Preparedness

Outdoorsman

I want to thank everyone so far for their thoughts, opinions and otherwise. I'm just trying not to let my fears (rational or not) get the best of me. I don't want to become one of "those" guys who lives out in the forest in a small cabin with a tinfoil hat awaiting impending doom. There is definitely nothing wrong with being prepared, but I think some people can go a little overboard (IMHO).

Anyway... be safe, carry safe and hug your loved ones today.

nonameisgood

Maybe we can define prepared as having a well/stocked cabin for weekends and just in case. Paranoid would be moving to the cabin, going off the grid, not showering or shaving, and chasing off the revenuers with the scattergun.

09jisaac

Everyone act like having a cabin in the woods equal paranoid, what is wrong with being in a secluded place (or is it the cabin part)? I see nothing wrong about being away from prying eyes, or being somewhere that if someone else is there then they are either lost, looking for you or looking for something to carry off (or wanting some alone time).

Beretta92FSLady

Maybe I'm alone in this, but maybe not. Where is the fine line between being prepared and being paranoid? With the UN treaty vote coming up, many people are saying the blue-helmets will be invading any time now and all of our firearms will be taken by force. The Mayan's said the world is ending in December and people are stocking up on supplies (food, water, ammo, etc.). I want to be prepared for a disaster of any type, but I'm trying to do so without putting on my tinfoil hat. Do I buy hundreds of dollars worth of food and water supplies? Part of me says there's no way anyone would dare invade the US and another part of me says to watch out! I've already got the firearms and ammo preparation covered (or at least I hope).

So am I being paranoid, or should I keep preparing for Armageddon?

What about you???

Search the Googler about UN troops in other States. There is no way a person can tell me, with a straight face, that UN troops who are almost always not up for the task wherever they have been sent, would be capable of doing jack-scrap on US soil, considering how many of us are armed.

If the world ends, your stockpile of food, ammo, water, will be for not. BTW, I recommend, instead of stocking up on bunches of water, stock up on bunches of really good filters, because chances are you will be collecting water, and with either have to boil it, or filter it. Food isn't worth crapola if you don't have the firepower to protect it, then again, if you were forced to abandon post, you would be abandoning the tons of food you stocked up on. Personally, I stock up on a couple months worth of food, and really stock up on ammo...mainly 12 gauge...I seem to have misplaced my shotguns, and only have one box of birch shot...and enough food to feed a bird for a half-day. *runs oft*

Last edited:

scott58dh

Once Upon A ,,,, Future

Why are we packing anything :question:
Where are we gonna go :question:
What are we gonna eat :question:
Where are we gonna sleep :question:

August 4, 1979, “In a month of hearings on the SALT II treaty, many senators have … quoted and requoted the late Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev, who once said that after a nuclear exchange, "the living would envy the dead."

Revelation 9:6, "In those days men will seek death and will not find it; they will desire to die, and death will flee from them." (NKJV)

[video=youtube;hbLgszfXTAY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbLgszfXTAY[/video]

Once more into the fray.
Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
Live and die on this day.
Live and die on this day. movie, The Grey 2012

Approach Jeet Kune Do with the idea of mastering the will. Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life! Do not be concerned with your escaping safely – lay your life before him! A passage from the writings of Bruce Lee about Jeet Kune Do (the "style" of martial art that was developed by Bruce Lee).

The end times, only the creatures of the earth, fish, beast, bird, will be eating well.
They will feast upon those seeking to end the agony of what others thought would be a joy, to succeed,,, and live,,,, one more day.

Think about it :exclaim:

Sweet Dreams,,,,,:dude:

PFC HALE

as someone pointed out, water filters and or boil water. i have plenty of .22 for the rifle and plenty of bird shot as well. if yer gonna bug out you dont need much to start off with as long as you have the means to sustain off the land.

i need some fishing poles and lures...

living in the rockies, my truck can get to places many or most cant. being its diesel i dont have to worry bout the fuel going bad. ill have appx a years worth of fuel onboard if i limit travel to necessity. survival gear, knowledge of many things is key. and most of all common sense.

09jisaac

09jisaac

Why in all these movies, they gotta go SOMEWHERE .... even Family Guy had to get to a Twinkie factory....I would just sit on my fat arse and watch it from my window ..

Not if you were thinking you couldn't make it through the winter. You would be heading to a place with a less difficult winter.

davidmcbeth

Banned
No need for you to prepare ... if others are stocking up, when it happens, just go get their stuff ... :)

Zombies is what you need to worry about...

Last edited:

PFC HALE

PFC HALE

No need for you to prepare ... if others are stocking up, when it happens, just go get their stuff ... :)

Zombies is what you need to worry about...

ill presume this is sarcasm but if yer serious, you dont want to come knock my door down...

kubel

When your preparations interrupt basic activities of daily living, interpersonal relationships, or occupational functioning- then it's considered a mental disorder and you need help. There's nothing paranoid about making preparations, and most people can make preparations without it affecting their life. I'm making preparations for the loss of petrodollar status.

The possibility of bad times coming as a result of the loss of our petrodollar is VERY real, and it's worth making some preparations for. We will lose petrodollar status (China and Russia already dropped it), and when that happens, the S will hit the F. High oil prices and inflation will probably make driving to work unaffordable, assuming you still have a job. I'm lucky to work in the pharmaceutical industry, so I expect we will be the last to go. No petroleum-based pesticides and fertilizers will probably cause food shortages, making food expensive. The breakdown of the rule of law will probably make weapons a necessity of life more than a "just in case" type thing, and the civil unrest will likely result in government doing gun grabs in densely populated areas (places they still have some control over).

I foresee a gradual decline into the New Dark Age. But just in case it's not so gradual, I'm storing a little bit of food, water, supplies, guns, ammo- and I drive a battery electric car (it's easier to make your own electricity than it is to make your own gasoline). It sure helps now that gas is $4.09/gal here in MI. :)

hjmoosejaw

When your preparations interrupt basic activities of daily living, interpersonal relationships, or occupational functioning- then it's considered a mental disorder and you need help. There's nothing paranoid about making preparations, and most people can make preparations without it affecting their life. I'm making preparations for the loss of petrodollar status.

The possibility of bad times coming as a result of the loss of our petrodollar is VERY real, and it's worth making some preparations for. We will lose petrodollar status (China and Russia already dropped it), and when that happens, the S will hit the F. High oil prices and inflation will probably make driving to work unaffordable, assuming you still have a job. I'm lucky to work in the pharmaceutical industry, so I expect we will be the last to go. No petroleum-based pesticides and fertilizers will probably cause food shortages, making food expensive. The breakdown of the rule of law will probably make weapons a necessity of life more than a "just in case" type thing, and the civil unrest will likely result in government doing gun grabs in densely populated areas (places they still have some control over).

I foresee a gradual decline into the New Dark Age. But just in case it's not so gradual, I'm storing a little bit of food, water, supplies, guns, ammo- and I drive a battery electric car (it's easier to make your own electricity than it is to make your own gasoline). It sure helps now that gas is $4.09/gal here in MI. :)

This is all very true. A lot of people laugh at "Prepping", but it's not about Zombies, (although that is the name given to people that don't prepare and will be trying to get what you have when the SHTF) and the end of the world. It could be, and probably would be anything from geological or weather, to financial collapse or nuclear accidents. You can easily do it without interfering with your daily life. Pick up a couple extra cans of beans while you're out or whatever. Find a good sale on anything, pick up a few. If you use gas to heat you house, pick up a kerosene or electric heater at a yard sale or whatever. I live in the Northeast where a snowstorm can put you out of commission for a few days. Stores can empty out quick. Google "Prepping" or look for it on Youtube. There's a whole world out there about it. While some do seem to be a little on the paranoid side, most are just everyday people like you and me.

Last edited: