• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fail... Texas man accidentally fires gun in Walmart

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
If your handgun is secured in a good holster with the trigger covered, how do you fire it while reaching into your wallet? Something doesn't sound right with this report.:eek:

Cowboy_Rick

When I do carry I prefer a "HOLSTER" also the 1911-A1 is my preference-much safer since there are 3 safties that must be utilized prior to a fire-no misfires so far after 25 years! They are the "Thumb Safety", the grip safety,and of course when you have to unholster the firearm you train yourself to have the firing finger on the outside of the trigger guard, never touch the trigger until you are prepared to "ENGAGE" your target. Oh yes and the "HALF-COCK" position.

It appears to be the XD5, which has NO external Thumb Safety, and NO External Hammer, does have a grip safety but appears to be unsafe for either Conceal Carry or "POCKET CARRY" which was probably used (Does have the "NEW" split trigger safety-WOW). We can see how effective that Split Trigger Safety performed!

Last edited:

mwaterous

It appears to be the XD5, which has NO external Thumb Safety, and NO External Hammer, does have a grip safety but appears to be unsafe for either Conceal Carry or "POCKET CARRY" which was probably used (Does have the "NEW" split trigger safety-WOW). We can see how effective that Split Trigger Safety performed!

Have you actually handled an XD(m/s)? I have tried desperately to dry fire mine with a chambered snapcap while properly holstered. If not for this story, I would be saying it was impossible. I can't even figure out how you would pull this off if you were using one of those conceal holsters that supports the gun via the barrel only, leaving the trigger unprotected.... Especially while going for your wallet which should be positioned lower than the barrel (and I own the 4" service, the 5" tactical might put some barrel behind your wallet, but the 3" compact would definitely be way too high).

So this guy is for all intents and purposes a spectacularly talented moron.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Saturday was a bad day for Tavares Donnell Colbert. The 36-year-old Oklahoma man accidentally shot himself in the genitals, and then got arrested for it, The Weekly Vice reported.

That ain't cool .. the guy shot off his dingle-dangles and you want to arrest him too? Why not just toss salt on this wounds.

Last edited:

VW_Factor

Saturday was a bad day for Tavares Donnell Colbert. The 36-year-old Oklahoma man accidentally shot himself in the genitals, and then got arrested for it, The Weekly Vice reported.

That ain't cool .. the guy shot off his dingle-dangles and you want to arrest him too? Why not just toss salt on this wounds.

Hes a convicted felon drug dealer, who claims he "found" the gun and was going to sell it "at a convenience" store. Convicted felons have had due process of law and their rights have been striped.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Well, I saw a picture of him next to a cop car and he DID look like street-trash, so it "didn't compute" in my head that he had a CC permit. Just some street-trash lying (as usual) about the gun he likely stole.

I'm glad he proved to be a criminal rather than this particular incident being fodder for the anti-gun crowd to use against the LEGALLY-armed citizen carriers out here in the "Great" State of Texas...

Last edited:

Jack House

Well, I saw a picture of him next to a cop car and he DID look like street-trash, so it "didn't compute" in my head that he had a CC permit. Just some street-trash lying (as usual) about the gun he likely stole.

I'm glad he proved to be a criminal rather than this particular incident being fodder for the anti-gun crowd to use against the LEGALLY-armed citizen carriers out here in the "Great" State of Texas...
Which incident are you talking about? Because it appears you're talking about the one in Texas, but are responding to someone talking about on in Oklahoma.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
Yes, I was talking about the TEXAS Walmart accidental discharge incident, as per this thread's title.

I was spending time (just now) looking up the incident I was talking about (in case the original story I saw was actually in OK -- didn't know anything about a Walmart incident in OK though) and the image I saw was indeed re: the Texas incident.

Also, I tried to find out more info on this guy (Todd Canady) SINCE the event, but can find nothing after the original July 24th story ALL the news media parroted word-for-word. Nothing after that about him to check to see if I had the right person/incident. I mean first I had read this Texas guy DID have a legal permit, but later I read he did not and also had a criminal record. But I can't find that info now.

I DID find the video showing the low-life looking guy (Todd Canady) next to the police car...and that IS the image I was talking about, but I have nothing more on it after July 24th (any details found out since then, such as if he really WAS carrying legally or not). I know the OTHER guy in OK (Tavares Donnell Colbert) wasn't carrying legally so maybe I was confusing the two.

Thanks for the notice, Jack...

Last edited:

Jack House

Yes, I was talking about the TEXAS Walmart accidental discharge incident, as per this thread's title.
Your comment followed immediately after people talking about a convicted felon in an Oklahoma Wal-Mart that had an ND. The first part of your response seemed like you were talking about the guy in Texas, but the second part seemed to be responding to the bit about the guy in OK. So confusion set in.

What part of the Texas man made him look like "street trash?"

WalkingWolf

When I do carry I prefer a "HOLSTER" also the 1911-A1 is my preference-much safer since there are 3 safties that must be utilized prior to a fire-no misfires so far after 25 years! They are the "Thumb Safety", the grip safety,and of course when you have to unholster the firearm you train yourself to have the firing finger on the outside of the trigger guard, never touch the trigger until you are prepared to "ENGAGE" your target. Oh yes and the "HALF-COCK" position.

The person in this incident was utilizing a "HOLSTER".

MR Redenck

SO???
Do ya think the TSRA will use this as their next EXCUSE to support a bill that will not allow Texans to carry under a Nonresident license???:lol:

MR Redenck

"What part of the Texas man made him look like "street trash?" -- JH

He looks like he fits in with the frequent "suspect" pictures shown on local TV crime news here in the Greater Houston Metroplex area.

The Part Where the Stupid POS took off running down the STREET after he hurt a CHILD!!!
Looks Like STREET TRASH TO ME!!!:mad:

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
I was just going by appearance (when he was arrested)...but running away doesn't make sense -- I don't recall running away being a standard (normal) reaction of responsible firearms carriers (CC or OC) if they are involved in such an accidental discharge.

I don't keep a round in the chamber (whether OCing or CCing) so dropping MY gun isn't likely to do anything -- except ding it up a bit! No big deal...don't care.

Doesn't need to look pretty, it just needs to work!

;-)

Last edited:

MR Redenck

I was just going by appearance (when he was arrested)...but running away doesn't make sense -- I don't recall running away being a standard (normal) reaction of responsible firearms carriers (CC or OC) if they are involved in such an accidental discharge.

I don't keep a round in the chamber (whether OCing or CCing) so dropping MY gun isn't likely to do anything -- except ding it up a bit! No big deal...don't care.

Doesn't need to look pretty, it just needs to work!

;-)

He is 100% responsible for every bullet by Texas law. I hope this CHL "Criminal" gets the most the courts can give him!
The Texas State Rifle Association played a big part in the attempt to end nonresident licensing. They claim nonresident licensing doesnt teach Texas law.
Me, I claim a nonresident can carry in Texas with the same nonresident license, so whats the difference if I do the same?
I see more Failures by Texas CHLs than I do from nonresidents licenses. " I really dont look that hard because Im smart enough to realize that stupid people will do stupid things, Even With A Card".:lol:
I guess this idiot shopper thought if he ran off he wouldnt get cought. Store cameras, tons of witnesses, and a trail of stupidity to follow.