• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help a future Texan find resources.

Elycion

I'm moving from Arizona to the Dallas area this week. I'm excited for the move as we've been trying to relocate our family to Texas for several years now, but at the same time it's a bit sad to be in a non open carry state for the first time in my adult life.

Obviously opencarry.org isn't quite as relevant to Texas as we'd like it to be, so what other internet forums can you Texans recommend for me? A Google search isn't always all its cracked up to be, as I really want to avoid wasting time on communities that are completely dominated by tinfoil hatters, or by people who think it's appropriate to constantly refer to Obama as "that n***er". (Seriously, I loathe the man too, but only for his politics not his race. Hate and ignorance don't mix well with firearms.)

We're looking to buy a home in or near McKinney, so any ranges, stores, or local groups in that area that folks can recommend would be helpful.

()pen(arry

We're looking to buy a home in or near McKinney, so any ranges, stores, or local groups in that area that folks can recommend would be helpful.

For store and range near McKinney, I recommend The Bullet Trap, in Plano. The people are good, the selection is good, and they have a very large rental selection. Their range is indoor, though the only relief from heat is fans. For an outdoor range, I go to Elm Fork, in Northwest Dallas. That'll be a little far from you, but I don't know of any good outdoor ranges near McKinney (I'm sure they exist, I just don't know of them). Elm Fork has pistol, rifle, shotgun, skeet, and archery facilities. The rifle ranges are 50 and 100 yards.

[WARNING: The following statement is explicitly and solely personal opinion.]
I would avoid DFW Gun Range like the plague.

CrimsonSoul

For chl forums in Texas try texaschlforum.com note that open carry isn't a high priority for the site

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

()pen(arry

For chl forums in Texas try texaschlforum.com note that open carry isn't a high priority for the site

Given that Elycion is an OC advocate, I doubt he'd find much other than frustration at that site. To say that OC "isn't a high priority for the site" is much like saying that liberty "isn't a high priority for politicians". It's a bit understating the situation.

Jack House

texaschlforum.com is comprised mainly of NRA bootlickers and will never support OC. Try www.texasguntalk.com
That was going to be my suggestion as well.

Elycion, are you brushed up with Texas carry and self defense laws? It's important to remember that there is a lot of misinformation out there. There's some absolutely horrible advice floating around as well, advice that can get you sent to the chair. Though, I suspect you may not be as inclined to follow that advice, it's also best to just make sure.

I can't tell you how many people, including officers and police chiefs, have honestly believed that if you shoot a bad guy on your property, you have committed a crime and should drag the body into the house to make it look like they broke in. :banghead:

CrimsonSoul

Never heard of txguntalk. I'll have to check it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elycion

Thanks for the input. We arrived and ended up buying a home in Celina (which I love) but now Suddenlink tells me they can't hook me up to the Internet till the 29th (rediculous, this I do not love) so my forum browsing has been rather limited.

I'll definitely check out those ranges once we get settled, and I do indeed always take time to very thoroughly research all firearm and self defense laws.

As for the "bad" forums, those are good to know about too. Keep your friends close and your "enemies" closer after all!