• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Riddle me this

Shadetreezj

Campaign Veteran
Riddle me this.

I am an employee of Aurora. Under the municipal code, I am allowed to carry openly or concealed upon public property etc, etc, as defined by;

"Sec. 94-154. - Firearms prohibited in or upon public facilities.permanent link to this piece of content

(a)

The carrying of firearms in or upon public facilities is unlawful when said facilities are posted with notification that the carrying of firearms is prohibited.

(b)

Nothing in this section shall be construed to forbid any law enforcement officer from carrying or wearing such weapons and firearms as shall be necessary in the proper discharge of his or her duties.

(c)

It shall not be an offense of subsection (a) of this section if the person was carrying a concealed handgun and had, at the time of carrying the concealed handgun, a valid permit to carry such concealed handgun issued pursuant to C.R.S. 18-12-105.1 as it existed prior to its repeal or a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun or a temporary emergency permit issued pursuant to pt. 2 of art. 12 of tit. 18 of the Colorado Revised Statutes; except that it shall be an offense under subsection (a) if the person was carrying a concealed handgun in violation of the carrying restrictions contained in C.R.S. 18-12-214.

(d)

For purposes of this section, public facilities shall include, but not be limited to, municipally owned, operated or leased buildings, properties, recreational facilities, parks, trails, and open spaces. "

Under the Aurora policy manual for employees of the city, APM 3.24 states;

"To ensure and affirm a safe, violence-free workplace, the following are prohibited:
A. Intimidating, threatening or hostile behaviors, physical assault, vandalism, arson,
sabotage, unauthorized use of weapons, bringing a weapon onto City property
which is not required to be carried as a part of the employee's job
or other acts
inappropriate to the workplace."

How does that work?? Does the city, as an employer generally have the right to restrict MY rights to carry? I don't need to openly lay my gun on my desk, but I would like the option to carry while driving, and I'm fine with leaving the gun in a lock box in my car.

Thoughts?

LoneEchoWolf

Riddle me this.

I am an employee of Aurora. Under the municipal code, I am allowed to carry openly or concealed upon public property etc, etc, as defined by;

"Sec. 94-154. - Firearms prohibited in or upon public facilities.permanent link to this piece of content

(a)

The carrying of firearms in or upon public facilities is unlawful when said facilities are posted with notification that the carrying of firearms is prohibited.

(b)

Nothing in this section shall be construed to forbid any law enforcement officer from carrying or wearing such weapons and firearms as shall be necessary in the proper discharge of his or her duties.

(c)

It shall not be an offense of subsection (a) of this section if the person was carrying a concealed handgun and had, at the time of carrying the concealed handgun, a valid permit to carry such concealed handgun issued pursuant to C.R.S. 18-12-105.1 as it existed prior to its repeal or a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun or a temporary emergency permit issued pursuant to pt. 2 of art. 12 of tit. 18 of the Colorado Revised Statutes; except that it shall be an offense under subsection (a) if the person was carrying a concealed handgun in violation of the carrying restrictions contained in C.R.S. 18-12-214.

(d)

For purposes of this section, public facilities shall include, but not be limited to, municipally owned, operated or leased buildings, properties, recreational facilities, parks, trails, and open spaces. "

Under the Aurora policy manual for employees of the city, APM 3.24 states;

"To ensure and affirm a safe, violence-free workplace, the following are prohibited:
A. Intimidating, threatening or hostile behaviors, physical assault, vandalism, arson,
sabotage, unauthorized use of weapons, bringing a weapon onto City property
which is not required to be carried as a part of the employee's job
or other acts
inappropriate to the workplace."

How does that work?? Does the city, as an employer generally have the right to restrict MY rights to carry? I don't need to openly lay my gun on my desk, but I would like the option to carry while driving, and I'm fine with leaving the gun in a lock box in my car.

Thoughts?

Well obviously any normal private employer has the right to tell you what you can or cannot carry in there building or while there paying you, at will employment and whatnot, but I'm not quite sure how that works with a .gov employer its still as far as I'm aware a at will employment being i don't think you sign any form of contract, but I'm not quite sure, i know that the dog catcher here is not a trained LEO and cannot carry a weapon while on the job because he isn't "trained" to and is a volunteer for the .gov here. now my thoughts are. if its your private vehicle your using can they really tell you that you cannot have your sidearm in your private property? i don't think once you get into your private vehicle while working it becomes state property. Really I'm not sure why when your employed by a state employer they can tell you you cannot carry, for example i was deployed to Iraq, we worked very close with some private contractors, they could not carry a firearm of any sort in country because they weren't "trained" to do so, in the end it resulted in a lot of LAC dieing because of a policy that makes no sense what so ever. its not really related but just some food for thought i guess. i know bit rambley but i hope it gets some of my thoughts across