• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No Firearms sticker Question, Concord NC

jdo1978

I work at an office building in downtown Concord NC where I lease an office since March 1 of this year. Me and my business partner both carry our guns to work mostly cc but sometimes we open carry. Yesterday we walk into the entrance and we notice a "no firearms" sticker on the door. We inquired to the property manger and they said that was always the case, but someone took the sign down a while back and they decided to put a new one up. We asked if that pertained to conceal carry as well and she said yes. Both my partner and I are pissed because we think someone had a problem with us carrying and complained.
My question is, can we have a gun in our office since we are leasing? We are not in the best location and want to keep safe. Also, can the property manger legally do this since we are leasing a unit? Our lease is up next Feb, we will be looking elsewhere.
Thanks everyone.

OC for ME

Not familiar with NC, but, if you have a legal right to be there (leased property) then you should be good to go. You are a tenant after all. Now, does your lease stipulate that tenants are not permitted to bear arms? If not then you should be good to go. Generally speaking, signage applies to the general public.

read your lease agreement and go from there. As long as you comply with the law and your lease agreement there should not be any consequences until your lease is up.

IANAL.

jdo1978

Not familiar with NC, but, if you have a legal right to be there (leased property) then you should be good to go. You are a tenant after all. Now, does your lease stipulate that tenants are not permitted to bear arms? If not then you should be good to go. Generally speaking, signage applies to the general public.

read your lease agreement and go from there. As long as you comply with the law and your lease agreement there should not be any consequences until your lease is up.

IANAL.

nothing in the lease at all.

CaptainHoneySmacks

I would say look for another building to lease in the future. If your lease says nothing about it, then I don't see it being a problem. If the property owner makes a huge fuss about it, then stop doing it and let them know they can find someone else to lease to.

OC for ME

One other thing, is there a mutual cessation clause? In other words, can you get out of your lease without penalty if both you and the property owner agree? Based on your OP I am guessing that the location is not the most desired. If you can afford, financially, to move sooner than Feb would you be willing to move to another more suitable location?

Oh, one more one other thing, look for another location that is more suitable and that does not have a 'no bearing of arms' clause in the lease agreement. Or, don't ask and the new location may not tell.

One last one other thing, while I prefer OC, to keep feathers unruffled, I would recommend that CC be a consideration until a prospective property owner is comfortable with your regularly paid 'rent'. The prospective property owner may be more inclined to be accepting of you being armed as long as you are not 'uppity' about being armed. Sometimes just being armed is the goal regardless of carry method. Bite the bullet so to speak and CC until you get a rep as a good tenant.

jdo1978

spoke to the sheriffs office, not much we can do i guess. we sent an email to the property mgmt to see if we can get a exception, it was recommended by the sheriffs office. also we wanted to see if there was anything in writing that states the building has a not gun policy. oh well, looks like we will be finding a new place in the spring.
don't feel safe staying here past his lease term, there was a shooting across the street last week.