• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best non firearm defense weapon

Uber_Olafsun

Ok before the flack of firearms are best read the rest.

Just found out that my wife is pregnant again with due date in Feb. We both have guns and I OC. She would conceal. Well talking to the doc about concerns about the noise, shockwave etc of a discharge my wife once again has gone back to her tazer. Granted if she is by herself she is going to use whatever means she has and if robbed comply etc. If we are together and a self defense situation happens she knows her role is to get her and our one year old the hell out of dodge and mine is to make sure they get away. The question I have is what would you recommend for a pregnant women to carry other than a firearm? Her tazer is the type that you have to touch the person with not the dart launching style. At least with a one year old and her being pregnant she doesn't go out by herself too much. Any suggestion?

nonameisgood

Your doctor knows nothing about such things. S/he may well give you the AMA's position that guns are bad. Have her carry the gun. But I would not encourage range practice.

If the options are (1) to allow an attacker to get close enough for her to cattle prod, or (2) to fire 1 to 3 rounds no more than once during the pregnancy..... Go with the gun.

An attacker close enough to hit her represents the most real threat to the pregnancy. Direct blunt trauma is the most likely cause of non-spontaneous miscarriage.

Uber_Olafsun

The range is definitely out because the fumes etc. this is more of my wife's choice on what she feels comfortable with because if this pregnancy is like her last she will get huge (son was 9 pounds 5 ounces) so also her mobility will be affected. I told her the same that if the need is there a gun would be best choice but she has made her decision. As far as the guns are bad thing almost all pediatricians have those flyers in their office and we were both laughing as we read them. There was no speech on OMG why do you need a gun!?!?

davidmcbeth

Banned
An atomic bomb (don't worry, it won't hurt the fetus' ears) .. really get a 22 mag pistol ... pop pop pop , little noise.

Many women have shot guns while preggo ... don't know where your doctor gets his info

Maybe the doctor thinks she should not use her 1st amendment rights too !