• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting survivor plans to sue theater

Wolfstanus

I stopped reading at "The suit also targets Warner Brothers, blaming their movie's violence for inspiring Holmes. Also named in the suit: suspect James Holmes' doctors, if they exist, for hypothetically not monitoring his hypothetical mental condition adequately."

The guy had a case. But now he's just suing to get money or just doing it for fame/because he can. To me this man is an idiot trying to get a profit from all this.

WalkingWolf

I stopped reading at "The suit also targets Warner Brothers, blaming their movie's violence for inspiring Holmes. Also named in the suit: suspect James Holmes' doctors, if they exist, for hypothetically not monitoring his hypothetical mental condition adequately."

The guy had a case. But now he's just suing to get money or just doing it for fame/because he can. To me this man is an idiot trying to get a profit from all this.

He only has a case if any of the conditions are required by law. But I believe that the law should be changed in relation to alarms on the exits, as well as flashing lights to help patrons find the exits in the case of a fire. Considering we have been told that theaters were AQ targets that laws were not tightened to increase safety.

Wolfstanus

Oh I believe that part at least. But he lost me on suing Warner Brothers and the guys supposed doctors. I agree with the first part. But the second and third parts? I don't agree with. But that's my opinion.

Beau

Going after doctors that may or may not exist and Warner Brothers is probably the idea of the lawyers trying to get a bigger pay day rather than the guy who's suing.

since9

Campaign Veteran
OMG - How Freakin' Lame!!!

Let's get down to brass tacks, here. The suit claims:

"was negligent for not having the exit door guarded or equipped with an alarm that would sound when it opened."

Wow. Nowhere.

Try this on for size:

"The theater was negligent for refusing to recognize and honor the right of all Americans to keep and bear arms. Had ANY armed and trained individual been present, historical analysis shows this massacre would almost certainly been ended before it began. It is the mindless and groundless yet ever-present emphasis to the contrary which continually conveys to criminals, "we are rich, stupid, arrogant, yet inept and unarmed targets" which give rise to most crime around these amusement parks."

mahkagari

Going after doctors that may or may not exist and Warner Brothers is probably the idea of the lawyers trying to get a bigger pay day rather than the guy who's suing.

That reminds me of a brainstorm I had last night. Someone told me they thought postgrads should all be under psych monitoring because of the intensity of the programs. I'd hate to think anyone with letters after their name up to and including physicians barely escaped being a mass murderer. I think that's a little extreme.

But how about this. These mass shootings always seem to involve students. How about we hold any advisor or psychiatrist who ought to have reasonable belief that someone is headed for a break criminally accountable? Not open to lawsuit, I'm talking jail time. It always comes out that the shooters were showing signs long before buying weapons and making plans.

An alert with specified criteria of someone headed for a rampage gets them in the NICS database and they can't buy an assault weapon. They can't buy an old fashioned six shoter. They can't even buy a single shot .22 squirell gun. They may still look into other means, but at least it requires a point of intervention.

I'm tired of people crowing about how nutcases "shouldn't have been able to get a gun" when no one is looking at who the nut cases are before they start buying 200 lbs of fertilizer.

WalkingWolf

That reminds me of a brainstorm I had last night. Someone told me they thought postgrads should all be under psych monitoring because of the intensity of the programs. I'd hate to think anyone with letters after their name up to and including physicians barely escaped being a mass murderer. I think that's a little extreme.

But how about this. These mass shootings always seem to involve students. How about we hold any advisor or psychiatrist who ought to have reasonable belief that someone is headed for a break criminally accountable? Not open to lawsuit, I'm talking jail time. It always comes out that the shooters were showing signs long before buying weapons and making plans.

An alert with specified criteria of someone headed for a rampage gets them in the NICS database and they can't buy an assault weapon. They can't buy an old fashioned six shoter. They can't even buy a single shot .22 squirell gun. They may still look into other means, but at least it requires a point of intervention.

I'm tired of people crowing about how nutcases "shouldn't have been able to get a gun" when no one is looking at who the nut cases are before they start buying 200 lbs of fertilizer.

Do you work for the Brady bunch? There is so much wrong with this I don't were to start.

mahkagari

Do you work for the Brady bunch? There is so much wrong with this I don't were to start.

Far from it. If you have critiques, I'd love to hear it. Our statement as gun owners is always, "There's already a background check in place to screen for felons and mentally incompetent. Banning more guns isn't going to stop psychos." The problem with gun laws is that they target the law abiding able minded FAR more than they do criminals and psychopaths. So target the psychopaths. That's been my rhetoric since the shooting. Shut up about the guns and deal with those going unhinged BEFORE they just go around the gun laws and blow up a bunch of people. I'm fed up with hearing, "Oh, it should have been a red flag that he bought 6000 rounds". WTF? No one was seeing he was going off the deep end BEFORE he even thought about going to a gun store? We want to leave it up to a Gander Mountain cashier to check people's mental competency?

I say guns is barely even a small portion of the conversation. NICS or no, there should still be something in place for better recognizing people going off the rails and detonating a rental truck of fertilizer.

Bellum_Intus

"Oh, it should have been a red flag that he bought 6000 rounds". WTF? No one was seeing he was going off the deep end BEFORE he even thought about going to a gun store? We want to leave it up to a Gander Mountain cashier to check people's mental competency?

I'm screwed.. I reload everything .. I go through sometimes 500 rds a week .. oh.. wait, some of that is for training for the Rangers.. oh gee.. am I on a list now?
I suppose If I shoot 500 rds a week, all of which is for legitimate uses, and some for POST qualification, HG training for Rangers, etc.. Someone better profile me now.. cause I buy a lot.. >.<

--Rob

WalkingWolf

I'm screwed.. I reload everything .. I go through sometimes 500 rds a week .. oh.. wait, some of that is for training for the Rangers.. oh gee.. am I on a list now?
I suppose If I shoot 500 rds a week, all of which is for legitimate uses, and some for POST qualification, HG training for Rangers, etc.. Someone better profile me now.. cause I buy a lot.. >.<

--Rob

Disarming people does not work, unless a person commits a crime, or an extreme act saying this person should not have a gun because some other nut thinks so it is the type of government control the founding fathers were worried about. Want to subvert the constitution, hell just call everybody a nut. Or make jay walking a felony, this type of sheep thinking is our problem with society. The answer is not disarming bad people but arming good people. Everybody has a opinion, but sometimes that opinion is nothing but anti gun dribble. Just my opinion.

rushcreek2

The theater involved could reasonably be found to have been negligent in not monitoring the exit door .

When did theaters stop employing ushers tasked with delivering customer service, and monitoring behavior with a view to ensuring customer safety ?

I suspect this short-coming is already being addressed -"USHERS WANTED -Now hiring at ALL theater locations - CHP required !"

Last edited:

mahkagari

Disarming people does not work, unless a person commits a crime, or an extreme act saying this person should not have a gun because some other nut thinks so it is the type of government control the founding fathers were worried about. Want to subvert the constitution, hell just call everybody a nut.

Valid point.

The answer is not disarming bad people but arming good people.

Maybe. But letting gangster felons out of prison because you need to make room for non-violent pot offenders is part of the problem. I'm sure there's a reasonable way to take care of real "nuts" as well, guns aside.

oh gee.. am I on a list now?

Last year, I was at Home Depot getting blood meal for my garden. When I saw how small the boxes are, I pressed on a clerk for "large volume nitrogen based fertilizer". He was very dissuasive and I left in a huff. As I drove home, I realized what I'd said. I spent the next week wondering if the FBI was going to be patrolling for me. But apparently, they only worry about guns.

Bellum_Intus

Disarming people does not work, unless a person commits a crime, or an extreme act saying this person should not have a gun because some other nut thinks so it is the type of government control the founding fathers were worried about. Want to subvert the constitution, hell just call everybody a nut. Or make jay walking a felony, this type of sheep thinking is our problem with society. The answer is not disarming bad people but arming good people. Everybody has a opinion, but sometimes that opinion is nothing but anti gun dribble. Just my opinion.

Oh I agree, 100%.. I was being a bit sarcastic, because if they used my purchasing habits as a 'screening tool' I might end up on 'the list' ..
Even if my 'habits' are 100% legit (as are all of ours)..

--Rob

GTShooter

Couldnt agree more, some co workers were talking about this whole mess the other day and were saying "well who the hell buys 6000 rounds in what ever months this guy did?" I turn around and tell him, Ive bought about 3000 in the last month, doesnt mean Im a bad person right?? They both just stared at me saying... Oh wow didnt even know you were a gun owner.......

Oh I agree, 100%.. I was being a bit sarcastic, because if they used my purchasing habits as a 'screening tool' I might end up on 'the list' ..
Even if my 'habits' are 100% legit (as are all of ours)..

--Rob

Wolfstanus

You must be new to this country ... lol

Sue everyone and see what moves forward ...

Born in Joplin MO.

Im always disappointed when it comes to things when the courts start up. I almost got beat and sued by a thief who stole a $5 headset. He sued our store because we cought him. He came back wanting a preice of us. I had my hand on my s&w border guard knife. He saw it left the store and proceeded to fight the police and lost. He won $20k.

Last edited: