• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Webster Pass M&G........? 7/29/2012

GTShooter

Last time I change this I promise... lol Was talking with some friends and we want to avoid traffic on our way back on I-70, so we'll start from Keystone, go thru the town of Montezuma and follow Webster pass from there. That will throw us onto Hwy 285 and save us some driving time. Same time to meet up and we'll meet at the exit 259 on I-70, there is a big parking lot at that exit were we can all meet up. Seems we'll have another two guys from my offroad club meet us there, so its tunning out to be a nice group.

Not sure if Im out of place here, moderators are more then welcome to move or delete my post if need be.

One of the great things of living in CO is getting a chance to head out to the mountains and do some 4wheeling. A friend of mine just moved in from Puerto Rico and Im taking him and his family out this weekend for the 1st time 4wheeling to Websters Pass. We'll both be heading out this Sunday at 8am from The fort over by hwy 285. Just wanted to post up and see if anyone is interested in joining us for some wheeling fun. We'll be both riding on stock 4WD vehicles (since I sold my Jeep :( ) Anyhow, if you have a stock 4WD vehicle you should be able to make it.

Ill be taking my handgun and shot gone (If no fire restrictions we'll probably do some target practice, need to call the rangers office). I figured Id post to see if any interest.

Lets meet up and do some wheeling!!

Last edited:

PFC HALE

i would love to go, been on webster pass before and its gorgeous! but i got volunteered to move a friend so im screwed.

Shadetreezj

Campaign Veteran
Be sure to check out www.colorado4x4.org. Great local resource for 4x4 in the area. Lots of local members. Check out the "Staging area" for trip planning and meet and greets.

See also, www.traildamage.com for an excellent list of trails in Colorado and surround states. Complete with trail descriptions, pics, and even GPS tracks. Here is Webster on traildamage http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=50

I may very well meet up to get out of the city for a day.

Twin cone will take you to the top of XYZ mountain (Forgot the name). The owners of the radio gear at the summit basically "paved" the road, and really isn't much of a challenge anymore. Spectacular views. Look it up on traildamage.com. You should be fine in a stock rig, although I cannot confirm. Ask on co4x4.

view_from_the_top_part_3.jpg

Mike

Last edited:

GTShooter

Are you on Co4x4..? Your nickname seems familiar? Ive been on that site for several years now. Great people and lots of info for sure! Glad to hear you can make it out. Ive never done twin cone, does this trail connect to Webster pass? Ill do a bit more research tomorrow at work. If we have enought time Im sure we can make it part of the day. Thanks for the info.

To bad you cannot make it PFC, Ive heard good things of the trail. Ive done a couple of trails in the area and yes it is a great area in CO.

Shadetreezj

Campaign Veteran
I've been on there since 2001 under the same handle. Yes, great crowd.

Twincone is on the south side of 285. Look north, and you have a good view of Red Cone, and Webster.

I'm wheeling a grenade with the pin pulled (35's on a D35) until I get my tons installed this fall, so I have to take it easy on the skinny pedal. I carry spare shafts to walmart.............

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

Considering joining up with ya'll

Howdy Folks!
This past weekend, I went on an outing with Keens. We found ourselves passing signs for something called "China Wall".
Now, I bought my very first Jeep a few months ago, and it is totally stock. It's a 2008 Liberty 3.7 with stock tires, not all terrain.
I don't have a lift on my Jeep, and I don't have 35's on the rims. So.....

I hoped China wall would prove easy to moderate. In places it was more like difficult. We got through a pretty difficult portion, and encounted 2 Jeeps going the opposite direction. I pulled along side and asked them if the trail got any worse ahead. One of the drivers said "you've pretty much passed through the worst of it, and I can't believe you did it in a stock Jeep!" I just patted the side of my rig and said "Trail Rated!!!"

It was a fairly harsh introduction to my very first off road 4x4 trail, and I faced more difficult trail than I was ready to tackle at this point in my development.
But it was fun, nevertheless!

So, is this a trail I can handle with little fuss in a stock 2008 Liberty?
I'd like to do this meet-up, but I also need it to be a little tamer than my last outing. I don't have spare parts, compressor, winch, nor any other extras to deal with problems if they should appear.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Bellum_Intus

Howdy Folks!

I'd like to do this meet-up, but I also need it to be a little tamer than my last outing. I don't have spare parts, compressor, winch, nor any other extras to deal with problems if they should appear.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

I wonder if my Sebring would make it.. >.<..

Anyway, the 29th is a horrible day for me.. =( I am assisting w/ a basic pistol class that day..
But you guys go have fun :p lol.. I'd break my car anyway! hahah

--Rob

Shadetreezj

Campaign Veteran
With good spotting, a stock Jeep of any flavor will go along way.

For your Liberty, I would stay with the 2-4 rated trails on the Traildamage site. you can bump up in rating with a good spotter that you trust. You can always drink the Kool-aid and start building her up :cool:

You could probably do Slaughterhouse, Jenny Creek, Bill Moore lake, and many other close to town trails that litter Clear Creek county, Park County.

PLEASE!! be sure to pick up a MVUM (Motor vehicle usage map) from your local forest service office. This is the holy bible of maps that tell you where and where not to go. If caught off trail, or otherwise, this is the same map the FS will use to prosecute. Please stay on the trail, and tread lightly. I am an avid off road guy, and it pains me to see my favorite trails disappear due to misuse/ abuse.

I know a lot here shoot while up in the hills as well. I can only hope that all brass is picked up when finished. Carnage Canyon in Boulder is a disaster of a shooting area. The dumping and disregard for the area is fuel on the fire for an impending closure of that recreation area for both the 4x4 crowd, and the shooters that frequent that area.

Stay safe if you venture out alone...

GTShooter

Ohh yes please get rid of that D35 hahahaha... Ive been a member of CO4x4 for some time now too. Who know maybe we've even been on trail runs before. I was thinking of entering the trail from the 285 HWY side but then we would be stuck in the traffic of I-70 on our way back. So we might just want to start from Silverthorn and cross over to 285. With all the thunderstorms we're having in the afternoon I would like to be below treeline at noon (thats why the early start) Anyhow, the more the better.

I've been on there since 2001 under the same handle. Yes, great crowd.

Twincone is on the south side of 285. Look north, and you have a good view of Red Cone, and Webster.

I'm wheeling a grenade with the pin pulled (35's on a D35) until I get my tons installed this fall, so I have to take it easy on the skinny pedal. I carry spare shafts to walmart.............

I think you'll be fine, the trail is only rated 3 on the lowest and 4 on the higest out of a 9 rating scale. I have tow strap and hand tools that I always take with me. I really doubt we'll be needing a winch on this trail. Maybe if it was winter time and we were doing a snow run. I actually saw a guy flip his jeep over on china wall... What a great trail !! if you made it thru that Im sure you'll manage to make it thru Webster pass. This is more of a scenery trail vs a crawling trail. Glad to hear you'll be joining us.

Howdy Folks!
This past weekend, I went on an outing with Keens. We found ourselves passing signs for something called "China Wall".
Now, I bought my very first Jeep a few months ago, and it is totally stock. It's a 2008 Liberty 3.7 with stock tires, not all terrain.
I don't have a lift on my Jeep, and I don't have 35's on the rims. So.....

I hoped China wall would prove easy to moderate. In places it was more like difficult. We got through a pretty difficult portion, and encounted 2 Jeeps going the opposite direction. I pulled along side and asked them if the trail got any worse ahead. One of the drivers said "you've pretty much passed through the worst of it, and I can't believe you did it in a stock Jeep!" I just patted the side of my rig and said "Trail Rated!!!"

It was a fairly harsh introduction to my very first off road 4x4 trail, and I faced more difficult trail than I was ready to tackle at this point in my development.
But it was fun, nevertheless!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

GTShooter

Ive actually seen videos of a Crown vic running trails in MOAB UT !! Bring it over and we'll see how far we can drive it thru.......... hehehehehehehe

Sorry to hear you wont be able to make it.

I wonder if my Sebring would make it.. >.<..

Anyway, the 29th is a horrible day for me.. =( I am assisting w/ a basic pistol class that day..
But you guys go have fun :p lol.. I'd break my car anyway! hahah

--Rob

GTShooter

Ok... you guys got me started on pictures now.... Maybe it will be a good teaser to get more people interested.

Entering Red Cone, I hadnt even taken the temp tags off and I was already getting some 3 wheel action. ( Same area but different trail we'll be heading out this Sunday)

RedCone2011149.jpg

RedCone2011199.jpg

RedCone2011201.jpg

RedCone2011202.jpg

Last edited:

GTShooter

quick update

Last time I change this I promise... lol Was talking with some friends and we want to avoid traffic on our way back on I-70, so we'll start from Keystone, go thru Montezuma and follow Webster pass from there. Same time to meet up and we'll meet at the exit 259 on I-70, there is a big parking lot at that exit were we can all meet up. Seems two guys from my Offroad Club will be joinning us so well have a nice group to caravan thru the pass.

Alan

Keens

I'll ask my fiancée if she wants to go. We have a Cherokee lifted and locked, it needs a new battery (maybe an alternator) and it's been sitting for a few months now. I'll see if we can get one this week and get it going. We have spare parts, tools, and recovery gear. Haven't been wheeling all season. I'll post back if we can go.

Blessings,

Keens

M-Taliesin

quick update

Last time I change this I promise... lol Was talking with some friends and we want to avoid traffic on our way back on I-70, so we'll start from Keystone, go thru Montezuma and follow Webster pass from there. Same time to meet up and we'll meet at the exit 259 on I-70, there is a big parking lot at that exit were we can all meet up. Seems two guys from my Offroad Club will be joinning us so well have a nice group to caravan thru the pass.

Alan

Howdy Amigo!
I will want to join up for this adventure. Can you please post one last time the place and time to make clear the meet-up facts?
Just to make certain (since changes have been made a couple of times) just precisely the facts. I've looked over the thread several times, and cannot seem to find what time we'll meet up.

Will this route (through Montezuma) take us up through St. Johns? Just curious about that.

Where does the end of the trail take us? Okay, 285, I get that. But where?
And of course, I'll be open carrying one of my firearms. Likely my RIA 1911 .45, a fact I've thrown in to keep this Open Carry appropriate.

Thanks, and I am looking forward to this trip. I hope it is a reasonable trail for a stock liberty 3.7 with no modifications.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last edited:

GTShooter

The entrance to St John is also thru the town of Montezuma but it is on the opposite side of the place we will be heading.

So just to make things very clear, We will be meeting at 8am at the parking lot located when you take exit 259 west bound I-70. Planning on leaving that spot around 8:15ish, I wish to hit trails early in the am and avoid thunderstorms above treeline. From there we will go to Keystone, pass thru Montezuma and head up into Webster Pass. That should ( if Im reading my maps correctly) take us into CR 60 and out to highway 285 (somewhere between Fairplay & Bailey)

There are alternative route that we can follow up back to Radical Hill but that trail has more of a pucker factor and dont wish to get anyone or their vehicles in over their heads.

I too will Open Carrying my SR9c .... Maybe once we're done with our trail run we can stop by Coney Island Hotdogs for a quick refreshment, who knows maybe we get a chance to speak to other patrons and spread the word about OC. I usually find people on the trail during these summer months we can also answer any questions they might have.

carracer

Biggest problem with my Liberty was ground clearance. I hit lots of rocks. Just use a spotter and low range.

I actually got better gas mileage with my 4dr JK when I had it.

Now have a Compass, 30mpg. No offroading.

OC my 1911 in all of them.

GTShooter

Wow... that must have been a change... from a 4Door JK to a compass. Thats what i want next, a 4 Door Rubicon. I stay awake during the night thinking of one....... :lol:

Keens

Hey guys,

I just want to clarify...is the four wheelin OC meetup Sat or Sun?

I will find out tonight if the Jeep will run, I charged the battery yesterday but I think I'm going to have to get a new one. I'm not sure what the problem is, I've jumped it before and it will run for 5-10 mins then the engine dies. Hope it's nothing else other than the battery.

Keens

GTShooter

Sunday July 29th

Usually if its only the battery that is the problem once you start up the engine the alternator kicks in and keeps the vehicle running. If it does die on you after it does start you might be looking having to replace your alternator.

Last edited:

Keens

Thanks! I'm going to look at it tonight and see what the deal is. We do have a rolled Cherokee in the pasture and I hope the alternator is still good, if it still has one, though that Jeep has been sitting there for 7-8 years. I've got the Optima Red Top battery with me at work, I'll see if it's holding a charge after charging yesterday.