• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FNP-9 vs FNX-9

px4guy

I have been thinking adding another pistol to the collection and was initially drawn to the FNP-9 and later the FNX. I like that the FNPs have a DA/SA trigger, the metal "Sig-like" decocker, and seem to be solidly built guns. I also definitely like the looks of the FNX and that they're also DA/SA, but I have some reservations about a couple of the components, mainly the polymer safety/decocker lever and the little bit of play in the backstrap. Have there been any known issues with the polymer safety levers breaking? Its kind of hard for me to fathom a gun maker putting polymer controls on a weapon, especially since these seem to stick out quite a bit. Just seems like they would break easily, even with normal use and holstering. Also, is there a way to get rid of that little bit of play in the backstrap without adding a rubber grip? If not, does it interfere with handling and firing the weapon? If there is anyone here that owns both or has fired both that can offer up any advice or recommendations on which would be a better gun to get, I would appreciate it. I've handled both and they both feel pretty good, but I haven't had a chance to fire either.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

I've handled the FNX-40 in our rental cabinet on an almost daily basis. It's one of the handguns that I recommend everyone try when they're shopping for a defensive arm. Oftentimes, I think that if I would have gone for the FNX if I had seen it before finding the S&W M&P.
One of the best features of it is that it can almost literally be carried in any mode that suits you best.

Kotyaer

Just put my first 350 rounds through a brand new FNX-9. First, the backstrap has maybe a millimeter of play up and down, but it's very hard to move, and unnoticeable when firing. The polymer safety/decocker lever hasn't caused me any issues yet, and functioned as expected.

I fed 50 rounds of each:
Blazer Brass
Tula Ammo
Remington UMC
Speer Lawman
Federal(The Walmart stuff)

100 rounds of this stuff:
Winchester White Box

With no FTE/FTF, no jams any way I could think to fire the damn thing. Tried forcing jams without putting my body parts in any jeopardy, so firing sideways, quickly, slowly, ramping up, ramping down, limpwristed, shaking the gun while shooting it. Functioned flawlessly. Even had a guy at the range next to me watch me tear through a full magazine stop and just stare as he held his Beretta and watched my FNX fly... His comments? "******* that thing's smooth."

I have been thinking adding another pistol to the collection and was initially drawn to the FNP-9 and later the FNX. I like that the FNPs have a DA/SA trigger, the metal "Sig-like" decocker, and seem to be solidly built guns. I also definitely like the looks of the FNX and that they're also DA/SA, but I have some reservations about a couple of the components, mainly the polymer safety/decocker lever and the little bit of play in the backstrap. Have there been any known issues with the polymer safety levers breaking? Its kind of hard for me to fathom a gun maker putting polymer controls on a weapon, especially since these seem to stick out quite a bit. Just seems like they would break easily, even with normal use and holstering. Also, is there a way to get rid of that little bit of play in the backstrap without adding a rubber grip? If not, does it interfere with handling and firing the weapon? If there is anyone here that owns both or has fired both that can offer up any advice or recommendations on which would be a better gun to get, I would appreciate it. I've handled both and they both feel pretty good, but I haven't had a chance to fire either.