• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

silly shoulder holster question

Michigander

I agree with TheQ. Level 3 retention is ideal, especially for a more populated area. Level 2 is okay for less populated areas, or for lower risk OCing.

Safariland is the only brand I suggest for retention holsters.

Last edited:

Glock214

I also have been interested in shoulder carry holsters however do not like the idea of being without a retention holster. I own a blackhawk serpa level 2 retention holster and love it. However, as mentioned in the previous post, it does make me a bit nervous when around a large group of people or in a busy bar, store etc. I'm always on my toes and have yet to have anyone come close to my sidearm without my consent. Have a great one,

Glock214

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Yes on ocassion. A trusty VERTICLE one with a thumbreak works well for backup GLOCK - best retention device known to man is between your ears. This is why some who post here need a level 99 holster. :p

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

Last edited:

Evil Creamsicle

I have if its the only holster I have, only done it once or twice though. I use one for CC in the winter/fall.

However, those of you Serpa guys who don't want one without retention:

18-94-IMG5.jpeg

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/CQC-SERPA-Shoulder-Harness,94,82.htm

Michigander

Looks scary. Someone could get Tex Grebner'd from behind, perhaps after the carriers elbow gets blown off. :uhoh:

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Hey carry what you like, however in my humble opinion serpa and glocks requirer lot's of practice, why? There is a natural tendency to slap the release with the trigger finger while drawing, which if done hastily can put it in the just below where it should be and into the trigger area. ND waiting to happen without constant drills.

Many people use them, and like them. I have and do not.

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

TheQ

I agree with TheQ. Level 3 retention is ideal, especially for a more populated area. Level 2 is okay for less populated areas, or for lower risk OCing.

Safariland is the only brand I suggest for retention holsters.

I carry the ALS + Guard. If the situation calls for less retention, I can push the guard knob down and leave it that way.

TheQ

People have stated RE horizontal shoulder holsters that other people get concerned looking down the barrel of your gun and seeing the bullet.

Right or wrong, it's something to keep in mind. After all, in the Adisha Miller case DPD is doing their best to claim the gun just went off by itself!

Michigander

I carry the ALS + Guard. If the situation calls for less retention, I can push the guard knob down and leave it that way.

The nice thing about the ALS is that most people who see it wouldn't even know it had a retention mechanism. I don't think I'd want to carry an ALS by itself to a crowded stadium, or the Dream Cruise or something, but it still makes quite a case for level 2 retention being all you need. And in many cases for less than 50 bucks shipped. Adding the guard on top of that is definitely a nice way to go. Faster than the SLS too.

Raggs

galco

I have a galco horizontal carry shoulder holster, will be a while before i open carry though, need a better platform. I do however find the shoulder rig comfortable to wear.

Raggs

Because wearing it open would be uncomfortable to me, and as TheQ pointed out a horizontal holster may make people a little more uncomfortable than i would like. But what does everyone else think? the galco which uses a thumb-break retention method, good for open or not?

Michigander

But not a great open carry choice which is sad

One thing it does have going for it is that a grab attempt would just about require the grabber to come right in front of you to focus on the gun, in the mean time you could punch him in the nose, gouge his eyes, and do whatever other techniques would be required. I'd think it'd be considerably easier to defend than non retention strong side carry.

With the affordable price of high quality holsters like theq has, I wouldn't let it slide too long, but it'll do if it has to.