• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry with localities regulations

carolina guy

Luckily, I have no reason to do business in Cary anymore. It was good while it lasted though. Mainly, I'm just passing along what has been discussed here for a while. It seems that Cary is easing up some. Which is good. But I'm not sure "carrying for self defense" will fly. Maybe, maybe not. I'm fine with it. But I don't write tickets either. If I had to take an under educated guess, I would bet "self defense" is seen as a reaction to a threat in the moment. Not proactively carrying for self defense.

Basically it seems to boil down to this. OC in Cary is fine on private property, though you may have to speak with officer friendly. On city property, it still seems to be as questionable as ever.

Not to nitpick too harshly...but I have to ask this:

If you can only carry a pistol in "self defense" when you are actively using it (ie. drawn, aimed, firing, etc) to defend yourself, but not other times...what are you supposed to do when attacked/threatened? Ask the assailant for a timeout while you go back to your car, and retrieve your weapon? The purpose of the RKBA is to have the weapon with you in the event you need it, especially in self defense when seconds can mean life and death.

I think the only rational interpretation of the "self defense" exception to Cary's "carry" ordinance is that you must clearly have it with you for self defense...not just "playing" or other "frivolous" purposes. Perhaps it might be difficult for the Cary Police to disprove...but that is not really our problem, is it?

chiefjason

We see this the same way. I just don't think the city of Cary sees it our way. That's about as concisely as I can put it.

I see them loosing if they pursue this with anyone. As long as that person has the money or connections to defend it properly.

carolina guy

We see this the same way. I just don't think the city of Cary sees it our way. That's about as concisely as I can put it.

I see them loosing if they pursue this with anyone. As long as that person has the money or connections to defend it properly.

(*Thumbs up*)