• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL Newport News Picnic Sat, Sept. 15th, 2012

FoxtrotDelta

I will be there if I don't have to work. I'm still in indoc for the ship so I still don't know which shift I will be on then as soon as I do I will RSVP.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
VCDL Picniic - September the 15th from 11 AM until 2 PM.

Everybody, please make sure that confirm planned attendance by email to nnpicnic@vcdl.org.

In the subject line type: Yes and the number of people included. Example: Yes - 2

Esanders2008

So this will be my first picnic. Anyone want to clue me in as far as what to expect? I believe my wonderful fiancée will be making brownies for us, although she will not be able to attend due to work commitments.

45acpForMe

So this will be my first picnic. Anyone want to clue me in as far as what to expect? I believe my wonderful fiancée will be making brownies for us, although she will not be able to attend due to work commitments.

Well, after the human-bowling on the jello-slide we usually calm down a bit and eat a burger or two. :)

Think of it as a bowling pin shoot and you are the bullet. :lol:

Just kidding, I couldn't resist!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Things you can expect:
conversation
gossip
exchanging information
tall tales
outright lies
good food (if you like hot dogs & hamburgers)
other food that goes with hot dogs & hamburgers and generally goes with a picnic
kids (of VCDL families and all the other ones - we should be fairly close to the playground)
dogs that behave
a drive-by or two from the park rangers - be sure to wave to them
folks throwing frisbees if they remember to bring them
a speech or three - usually a local politician who has been supportive is asked to say a few words. The VCDL President also gives a speech.

In other words, your run-of-the-mill picnic except that most of the folks will be armed.

stay safe.

Esanders2008

Things you can expect:
conversation
gossip
exchanging information
tall tales
outright lies
good food (if you like hot dogs & hamburgers)
other food that goes with hot dogs & hamburgers and generally goes with a picnic
kids (of VCDL families and all the other ones - we should be fairly close to the playground)
dogs that behave
a drive-by or two from the park rangers - be sure to wave to them
folks throwing frisbees if they remember to bring them
a speech or three - usually a local politician who has been supportive is asked to say a few words. The VCDL President also gives a speech.

In other words, your run-of-the-mill picnic except that most of the folks will be armed.

stay safe.
I might have to bring my Lucky! /Users/eddysanders/Downloads/563137_3550005543351_1056937373_n.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Lots of good food, great conversation and meeting people face to face + RKBA speakers.

This video from a couple of years ago - ya it was a HUGE success:
VCDL Picnic in Newport News Featured on Nightline!
http://www.vcdl.org/

Last edited:

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
Esanders... Please introduce yourself to folks! Some folks tend to be quiet... please don't mistake reserved for unfriendly. After all, they came to a picnic!

Unfortunately, I cannot attend. I've enjoyed every one I have attended.

VCDL Picnic in Newport News Featured on Nightline!
http://www.vcdl.org/
They caught my best side... about 24" of my right side, shoulder to knee, showing my HK USP45!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Please RSVP per post #1 of this thread if you haven't done so already - the picnic coordinator needs to know the total numbers attending for planning purposes.

Invite your friends, neighbors, co-workers et al - their chance to see who and what we are, have fun and learn a lot.
Nobody will pressure them to join VCDL, although we'd like to see that happen. We come from all walks of life: blue color, white collar, professionals, college students, singles, parents, grandparents and children + dogs on leashes.

If you suddenly find at the last minute that you can make it, but never confirmed - come on down! We'll find you plenty of food and some cake too - have never run dry at any of these yet.

A covered dish, dessert or simply a favorite food to share with everybody is appreciated , but by no means mandatory.

6L6GC

RSVPs so far

I have counted up the RSVPs so far and I think that we will have around 100 or so people in attendance, maybe a little more. I will be going to buy all the food over the next couple days. I will order the cake today. I'm pretty jazzed about the picnic. I think we will all have a grand time.
Ron

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Thinking of going anyone around chesterfield want to carpool? Its a hike from here

I know I should not, but I'll haul you out there. I may also haul you back. PM me with suggested pick-up place between Chippenham/Jeff Davis and Jeff Davis/Rt 10 in Chester.

stay safe.

MagiK_SacK

Last minute question. What is the specific spot in the park where this is at? Or should it be visible from the main road of the park?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I got the bushhog fixed early and was told "WE" want to come.:lol:
What is on the check list to bring that hasn't been spoken for yet?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Last minute question. What is the specific spot in the park where this is at? Or should it be visible from the main road of the park?

Shelters are on the right side of the road. I think it is the first shelter you will see.

You should see the VCDL banner with ease. If not, look for the people carry guns :rolleyes:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I got the bushhog fixed early and was told "WE" want to come.:lol:
What is on the check list to bring that hasn't been spoken for yet?

Anchovies, pickled water melon rind , fried grass hoppers and 50 lbs of brats.

Think everything is covered Peter, even the extra ice request that went out yesterday.

Bring you appetite, charm and wit.........and maybe a camera or two.