Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Firearms in hospitals...

  1. #1
    Regular Member mobiushky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Alaska (ex-Colorado)
    Posts
    840

    Firearms in hospitals...

    So some of you may or may not know, but my wife was in the hospital since last Friday. Long story, not the point. The day we went I read a sign on the door (have since seen many on every door) that says something to this effect:

    "No weapons (including guns or knives) allowed in this building. This applies to all buildings on this campus. Violators will be prosecuted."

    I get the no firearms signs, but the violators will be prosecuted was the one that threw me. I can understand them asking you to leave and threatening with trespassing charges. But signs have no force of law in Colorado. Are they actually implying that if you read the sign and still carry, you will be prosecuted with trespass? Something tells me this is an unenforceable sign.

    PS, I CC'd the entire time anyway.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by mobiushky View Post
    So some of you may or may not know, but my wife was in the hospital since last Friday. Long story, not the point. The day we went I read a sign on the door (have since seen many on every door) that says something to this effect:

    "No weapons (including guns or knives) allowed in this building. This applies to all buildings on this campus. Violators will be prosecuted."

    I get the no firearms signs, but the violators will be prosecuted was the one that threw me. I can understand them asking you to leave and threatening with trespassing charges. But signs have no force of law in Colorado. Are they actually implying that if you read the sign and still carry, you will be prosecuted with trespass? Something tells me this is an unenforceable sign.

    PS, I CC'd the entire time anyway.
    I have had lots of experience with hospitals lately in Colorado Springs.

    Memorial Hospital is city owned and only has signs that only prohibit OC.

    Penrose Hospital has a silhouette of a gun with a circle-slash. I interpreted that to mean no OC.

    I had a dispute with a hospice nurse and went to their headquarters at the St, Francis medical building. They had big sign with all of the "will be prosecuted" BS. I don't think that there is anything that they "could" prosecute you for, except maybe third degree criminal trespass, which is a class 1 petty offense. IANAL, but I believe that a defense to this offense, would be that you rectified the situation by leaving immediately when asked. I mean I don't read every sign that I pass, I just didn't notice it.

    University Hospital in Denver has signage prohibiting weapons, but the Colorado Supreme Court recently ruled that they were preempted by state law, so I just figured Screw 'em.

    Pike Peak Mental Health Center has a sign that says if you are caught with a weapon police will be notified.

    My conclusion? Go ahead and CC and no one will be the wiser. If by some slim chance someone catches you, its not likely that you would be prosecuted. If you were, there is a good chance that you would be acquitted, and if by some stroke of lottery bad luck you ended up convicted, it is still a very minor offense.
    Last edited by Hamans-gallows; 07-27-2012 at 10:20 AM. Reason: spelling

  3. #3
    Regular Member JamesB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamans-gallows View Post
    Penrose Hospital has a silhouette of a gun with a circle-slash. I interpreted that to mean no OC.
    The ones i typically see show a revolver with a line through them. I figure "that's ok, I carry an auto."

  4. #4
    Regular Member oldbanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    beckofbeyond - Idaho
    Posts
    476
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    "I carry an auto."
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carryacar.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	8984

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamans-gallows View Post
    My conclusion? Go ahead and CC and no one will be the wiser. If by some slim chance someone catches you, its not likely that you would be prosecuted. If you were, there is a good chance that you would be acquitted, and if by some stroke of lottery bad luck you ended up convicted, it is still a very minor offense.
    If I ever feel the need to CC in those circumstances, I make sure it's well-concealed. This way, the only way anyone ever would become the wiser is if I were in a situation where I needed to draw my firearm. Rare.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  6. #6
    Regular Member PFC HALE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    492
    ive been to a couple of hospitals near denver that had metal detectors and armed security. These are places not to bother carrying.
    HOPE FOR THE BEST, EXPECT THE WORST, PREPARE FOR WAR

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by PFC HALE View Post
    ive been to a couple of hospitals near denver that had metal detectors and armed security. These are places not to bother carrying.

    A hospital that needs that level of security is not one I would want to be admitted to. Sounds like there is as much chance of dying from violence as there is dying from an opportunistic infection.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •