• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Requirements?

RC932

Finally being able to open carry pistols, I have a rather odd choice in what I would prefer to carry. I don't know if the state or local areas (in this case the Charlotte area) have any regulations as to what can and can't be open carried.

As odd as it would seem to most, I would prefer to open carry either the P08 Luger or Mauser C96. Both of which have holsters or a rig to be worn on a pistol belt (save for the C96 which has a bando rig.) Does the state have any requirements as to how much of the pistol that must be exposed, style of holsters, etc?

I'm brand new to open carry and the pamphlet doesn't provide all the information.

bc.cruiser

A direct answer is NO; no stated requirements for how much gun is visible, or style of holster.

Is your P08 holster the original type with the full coverage flap? It doesn't really matter, since normally the heel of the butt can be seen, and the holster itself is obviously a gun-holder. That may not matter to a LEO who wants to make a point.

My AmericanEagle (7.65) is in an open top holster so that most of the butt is visible.

RC932

The original holster that came with the pistol is the full flap type. I'm getting a repro so I don't carry around a 90 some year old piece of leather from the first war.

As for the C96 I have a feeling that using the buttstock as the holster may seem to be an issue to some. Would it be safer to use the shoulder suspended bando in that case?

WalkingWolf

While the answer is no keep in mind that if you have to use any gun in self defense there is a good chance it will be taken by the police as evidence. Not sure what the value of your guns are, but I doubt they are inexpensive.