• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Your Assistance Greatly Appreciated! Need statistics

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
My wife works at the sheriff's office of a local county.
There was quite a bit of discussion today about the bump in firearm sales since Friday's Midnight Movie Massacre.
My wife was able to speak about the increase in sales, but she didn't know if there had also been an increase in demand for firearms training and instruction.
I was able to tell her that forum members have reported more interest in training, and instructors are seeing an uptick in folks asking for training.

Now the question is this:
Are there any statistics that anybody knows about that might indicate how many armed citizens took action to break up a crime?
Naturally, the question involved Colorado, but it would be interesting to know how many citizen carriers were able to counter an assault or other criminal activity by the use of their guns.

Anybody who can direct me to such statistics will certainly receive my thanks.

I saw somewhere, don't recall where, a claim that armed citizens saved 2,000,000 lives by taking control of situations when bad guys attempted to perform their miscreancies in their vicinity.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

WOD

The truth is, any statistics on hand, will not show the true number. A criminal who was deterred from committing a crime, isn't going to call the press, the cops, or inform city council, or report it to anyone, so it never appears in any records. Then, on the LAC side, many do not report non-incidents for the simple fact that it's more of a bother than it's worth. It would be great if there were some sort of reporting done on these non-incidents, but to whom would we report them to? It would take a small army of researchers to comb through every post on forums like this and others, to sift through all the non-incidents that members share online. One could look to the number of non-deaths and say that these were all attributable to guns preventing a death. If the Anti's can take every death where a gun was used, to manipulate their statistics, why can't we make the claim that any non-deaths were attributable to gun ownership?

O2HeN2

If the Anti's can take every death where a gun was used, to manipulate their statistics, why can't we make the claim that any non-deaths were attributable to gun ownership?
Easy: The vast majority of the media is anti-gun. They'll accept anti-gun stats without verification, but pro-gun statistics are heavily scrutinized. If you present 27 valid, verifiable pro-gun stats and one that’s slightly questionable, the 27 will never see the light of day and the one will be publically torn apart with all sorts on insinuations that the pro-gun folks lie.

Be very, very careful with your stats.

We are held to a higher standard. That’s life.

O2

Ps. A dated, but applicable quote is "Never argue with someone who buys ink by the barrel."

Last edited: