• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT - Obama talks on limiting "some" guns......

jolly__roger

+1
I think people might wake up if we had mandatory civil service like many countries. Switzerland, Germany, Italy.

Mandatory civil service is unconstitutional. And thank god. I will not serve the political needs of a neocon or a neolib.

I too am thankful that there isn't mandatory civil service. I know plenty of people that would not fair well(mental state) having to go through manditory civil service let alone the constitutional factor. I might have been more apt to join a branch of the military but at the time I was eligible, the 1st gulf war was going on and it was my belief that we should not have been there in the first place so I wouldn't have been a good civil servant...

Not bigger jails. There are too many people locked up as is it.

I have a copy of the proposed law you would want for judges. Make it a crime for them to not follow the constitution(s)/law(s).
It never takes off though.

Agreed. I don't get why people think the answer is more laws rather than actually enforcing existing ones, like a piece of paper is actually going to deter anyone who isn't already pre-disposed to obeying. Unfortunately, the jail system is it's own broken mess. I don't agree with incarceration being a profitable private endeavor. That's dangerous territory, bordering legalized slavery. When the warden has a personal financial motivation to extend your stay, not because your debt to society has not been paid, but because it is more profitable for him to do so, where do you draw the line between prisoner and slave? But I suppose that's an argument best saved another time and place.

I'm in 100% agreement, more laws are not the answer, stricter punishment and enforcing the laws we do have on the books now would be a darn good start. I also think we need to make it easier for those with some mentally instability to seek help and not fear their liberties to be taken away. There has been discussion about not wanting to pay for mental health facilities(not lock down facilities) on this board but if we simply cut other programs such as foreign aid to other countries then redirected that money back to the US, we could build and staff enough facilities for every city, town and podunk watering hole in this country and still reduce taxes. We should not be the worlds saviours until we can save ourselves first but even then, we shouldn't be taking tax money to "aid" other countries.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
We already have plenty of prisons. Let's simply let the pot dealers out and put the real criminals in. (Oh, and judges have "absolute judicial immunity" which means that they can't be sued or prosecuted for anything they do on the bench -- although there are many who wish that they could be).

Empty out the pot dealers/users. Reduce and change the approach to non-violent paper thieves. And punish violent offenders and eliminate time off for 'good' behavior.

decklin

I too am thankful that there isn't mandatory civil service. I know plenty of people that would not fair well(mental state) having to go through manditory civil service let alone the constitutional factor. I might have been more apt to join a branch of the military but at the time I was eligible, the 1st gulf war was going on and it was my belief that we should not have been there in the first place so I wouldn't have been a good civil servant...

In the countries I mentioned civil service extends beyond just the military. For example in Germany you could do military/border patrol or you could choose something else. Medical, clerk, etc. There is a variety of things to choose from. From what I remember is that after German students graduate from the Gymnasium (High School) they are required to complete something like 6 months of some form of civil service. Then they can continue onto University.
During their service they cannot be deployed.
EDIT* So I just double checked the info and it looks like I was right. It also looks like Germany got rid of conscription on JUNE 1st, 2011.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
European ideas....

If you want to model European conscription.....then move there.

This is America, we left Europe to move away from government tyranny in any manner. I do not want the government telling me what to do. The US is a model of individual freedom, to be free from government interference.

Allow mandatory service and you allow slavery.

AngryBodhi

<snip> I also think we need to make it easier for those with some mentally instability to seek help and not fear their liberties to be taken away. There has been discussion about not wanting to pay for mental health facilities(not lock down facilities) on this board but if we simply cut other programs such as foreign aid to other countries then redirected that money back to the US, we could build and staff enough facilities for every city, town and podunk watering hole in this country and still reduce taxes. We should not be the worlds saviours until we can save ourselves first but even then, we shouldn't be taking tax money to "aid" other countries.

+1

decklin

European ideas....

This is America, we left Europe to move away from government tyranny in any manner. I do not want the government telling me what to do. The US is a model of individual freedom, to be free from government interference.

Now before you go getting all upset over me exercising my 1st Amendment Right let me remind you that we do almost the exact same thing. Remember when you turned 18 you had to sign up for selective service. With selective service the military is the only option and you do get deployed.
Now just because I said I think it would help to wake people up does not mean I support it. I do not think it an appropriate solution to the problems we have here. I've been to alot of different places yet I choose to stay here.
We believe in many of the same things. Mainly that the strength of the Nation lies with The People. If you force conscription on American Citizens then you take away from the fundamental ideals that we love about this country.
Also, I'm not sure that using the Puritans as an example of being free from tyranny is a good one. You seem to be very historically read so I'm sure you know that the Puritans were some nasty, nasty people. They fled from tyranny only to become tyrants themselves.

sudden valley gunner

Now before you go getting all upset over me exercising my 1st Amendment Right let me remind you that we do almost the exact same thing. Remember when you turned 18 you had to sign up for selective service. With selective service the military is the only option and you do get deployed.
Now just because I said I think it would help to wake people up does not mean I support it. I do not think it an appropriate solution to the problems we have here. I've been to alot of different places yet I choose to stay here.
We believe in many of the same things. Mainly that the strength of the Nation lies with The People. If you force conscription on American Citizens then you take away from the fundamental ideals that we love about this country.
Also, I'm not sure that using the Puritans as an example of being free from tyranny is a good one. You seem to be very historically read so I'm sure you know that the Puritans were some nasty, nasty people. They fled from tyranny only to become tyrants themselves.

I don't see Gogo mentioning the Puritans...

The colonist were English who felt their rights were being trampled on so they rebelled.

I say mandating to sign for selective service is unconstitutional in it itself too, and if called I will go to jail over being forced to join. (P.S. not everyone has registered).

And yes the hypocrisy of becoming tyrannical themselves is bad let's learn from it and not repeat it.

I owe nothing to my country's government.....

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

European ideas....

Well since what most people on this forum believe to be true is slavery, I'd have to say you're too late.

A tax on the fruits of your labor IS slavery.

The Patriot

Obama's limit on guns should start with his secret service detail!

Obama and all the leftist cronies need to start with limiting the armament that their SS details can carry. Why?, you might ask, well...what makes him more important and valuable than you or I? he is just a human like us he just has a title. The truth is that all of the politicians are NOT more important than any of the U.S. Citizens they are supposed to represent! They will be the first ones to argue as to why they need their SS details to be well armed. They will say it is because bad guys have guns and might want to harm him/them! So again I say why is he more important than I/US? Will my son and daughter miss their dad if I was killed by a bad guy? The answer is yes, they would. To my children I am more important than any other human being on the planet. But hussein and his cronies will argue that they are more important. I say Bull Crap! 2nd amendment is very clear.