• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Peter Boyles: "I don't believe open carry is legal in Colorado" (paraphrase?)

M-Taliesin

Peter Boyles: "I don't believe open carry is legal in Colorado" (paraphrase?)

Howdy Folks!
I just wrote Peter Boyles 2 emails to try getting him to correct a wrong comment on the air this morning.
He said (and I am uncertain I can provide an exact quote but this will be a very close paraphrase)

Peter then said (words to this effect) "I don't believe open carry is legal in Colorado".

UPDATE:

Several members stepped up to challenge that statement, and he thought he had said he didn't believe OC was legal in Denver.
I can very easily be mistaken, but I didn't get that he was referring to Denver. I am nearly certain he said he didn't believe it was legal in Colorado.

Regardless, due to efforts of some on this forum, Peter has stepped up to clarify that OC is not legal in Denver but legal everywhere else in Colorado.

I gotta give Peter credit for stepping up and correcting his statement. I freely admit I may have misunderstood him, as I had just woke up, but if I got the wrong message, so too could others have taken it wrongly and got the message OC is not legal in Colorado. Peter clarified, stated the facts clearly, and corrected any impressions that may be been generated.

Kudos to Peter for asserting OC is legal in Colorado.
I am pleased that he affirmed OC for his listeners.
Way to go Pete!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last edited:

Scotsman

Howdy Pard!
Way to go, amigo! Way to go!
I think Peter needs to man-up and admit a mistake..... for a change.
Now I suppose we'll all need to be wary of MWAG calls because of his glib comment this morning.
I am really beyond annoyed.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Actually he just read my e-mail on air and stated he understands it's legal. He said he was making the point that it's not legal in Denver city/county. I did send another e-mail to clarify that point.

M-Taliesin

Actually he just read my e-mail on air and stated he understands it's legal. He said he was making the point that it's not legal in Denver city/county. I did send another e-mail to clarify that point.

Howdy Pard!
I just sent him an email as well, because I do not believe he stated Denver, but said he didn't believe OC to be legal in Colorado. I can be wrong, and I'm man enough to admit it, if I am wrong.

You'll note that his response was "open carry is okay in the mountains" and such, but seemed to be avoiding the fact that it is legal everywhere in Colorado with few exceptions. As I was typing this, he clarified that indeed, it is legal statewide, excepting city and county of Denver.

Case closed! He owned up!
Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Scotsman

In all fairness Peter just clarified this issue on-air. Therefore, the message just went out to thousands that open carry is perfectly legal with the exception of Denver city/county. Gotta give the man credit where it's due.... :D

M-Taliesin

In all fairness Peter just clarified this issue on-air. Therefore, the message just went out to thousands that open carry is perfectly legal with the exception of Denver city/county. Gotta give the man credit where it's due.... :D

Howdy Pard!
Yep! I absolutely agree. That's good, and maybe we won't be faced with a bunch of additional MWAG calls against us.

Meanwhile, I will edit my original post to show that he stepped up!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Scotsman

This must be my lucky day!?!? He just read my second e-mail on air clarifying the Denver city/county vs. "the rest of Colorado" issue. Hopefully this helps non-carrying listeners understand that we are NOT breaking the law.

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

This must be my lucky day!?!? He just read my second e-mail on air clarifying the Denver city/county vs. "the rest of Colorado" issue. Hopefully this helps non-carrying listeners understand that we are NOT breaking the law.

Howdy Pard!
Amen to that, amigo! Amen indeed!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Keens

Yea I'm curious too what the emails say. Could you please post them? I don't listen to the radio due to my heavy hearing loss. Listening to radio sounds like garbled radio transmission to me lol.

Scotsman

I wasn't listening. Would y'all be willing to post the emails he read?

Well I used the "contact form" through the KHOW website so I don't actually have a copy of what I sent. The gist of what I said was basically, "It is legal for a LAC to openly carry a properly holstered handgun anywhere in Colorado with the exception of Denver city/county."

He read my emails on air so I know the message got out loud and clear to whomever may have been listening at the time.

Scotsman

BTW, I don't know if Pete's show is podcast after the fact but if so my emails were read approximately between 8:15-8:25am if anyone wants to know verbatim.

M-Taliesin

UDATE of my previous UPDATE!

Howdy Folks!
I went to the website for KHOW, and clicked on Pete's link. Scrolling down the page, you find segments of the show for each hour of airtime.
Clicking on the link for 6am, I wanted to confirm that I was right at the outset that he said "I don't believe open carry is legal in Colorado."

When he found himself confronted by several of us regarding that remark, he covered by saying "I said that I didn't believe open carry is legal in Denver."

WRONG PETE!!!!

I went back and listened to the 6am audio, twice... with my wife... and he clearly states "I don't believe open carry is legal in COLORADO".
He didn't say Denver, he said Colorado. Then he backpeddled and said "I know open carry is legal like in the mountains," but he got more OC'ers coming back at him and finally admitted "Open carry is legal in Colorado." Several folks sent him emails, and at least one (if not more) called him on the phone and explained it to him.

I felt bad thinking I had misquoted Pete. But after reviewing the audio on their site, I know know I heard him right the first time, and he flat out made an error in stating his belief that open carry "is illegal in Colorado!" Not to sound smug here, but I feel vindicated that I got the story right and did not wrongly quote him on public forums.

That being said.....
He now knows that we are listening, and won't tolerate misinformation regarding open carry rights in Colorado.
I suspect he was taken by surprise at how we confronted him and pushed him to clear up the misinformation he had broadcast with correct and accurate information.
But I know Pete pretty good. When he started getting cornered, he would have asked Hollenbeck to check the web. I provided (at least twice) the link to OCDO.
I do not believe he would have recanted if he hadn't found evidence that open carry is indeed legal in our state.

Not only did I provide the links for OCDO, but also for Cogunowners, Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, Colorado Open Carry, and the Adams County Sheriff's office CCW FAQ page, wherein the sheriff has clearly printed on the site "Open carry is legal in Colorado."

Peter had no choice but to acknowledge that Open Carry is legal in Colorado. He got the message from some of us on this forum, and likely from others as well. Confronted with facts, he acknowledged our right to open carry in Colorado, and his correction was made public to greater extent than his original incorrect statement.

With all that said, I think the matter can be put to rest. He messed up, we corrected him, he tried to say he was talking about Denver when he clearly said Colorado (as can be heard on the audio available on the KHOW website) and now has joined the ranks of our fellow citizens who "get it"

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

zach

I wasn't listening. Would y'all be willing to post the emails he read?

Yeah, I only listen to PB occasionally any more. First, it's summer and I'm riding my motorcycle to work. Second, I need something a little different. I used to listen to Boyles more often but he's not my cup of tea any more.

My afterthought, PB seems to be lacking lots of gun knowledge for someone who is very pro 2A.

Last edited:

Bellum_Intus

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWR!!! :p

I don't listen to him as we don't get him down here. well I think he's on in the mid aftenoon.. who knows..

I end up w/ Glenn in the morning, and I get some of Rush.. lunch I sometimes get Sean.. I listen for any 'mistakes' in assumptions, but since they are not local, they really haven't said much on the issue..

Anyway, great catch, and really good job you all ..

--Rob

PFC HALE

one positive step in the right direction!

It took me a couple years to realize that it is legal to open carry in this state. Imagine what those that have never shot a gun dont know! Getting it out there to the masses is good!

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
Peter is talking about what happened last Friday, and asking the question "Do you have a right to be safe?"
Sounds like a dumb question, but shades of that question have floated around on this forum over the past week.

Among the issues he is talking about is whether we need to arm up. But his emphasis is get your CCW.
I think he needs to hear from some OC'ers, and I hope to get a chance to make a call this morning myself.
I'd like to have consideration of OC by legally armed citizens as a deterrant to bad guys.
I want to option to carry openly, for my own self defense and the defense of others.
Because of what happened last Friday, I think the City and County of Denver needs to reconsider their prohibition against open carry.
When citizens are losing faith in their LEAs ability to protect them, and courts giving absolution to rapists, murders and home invaders,
Coloradoans have become aware they need to defend themselves.

I like that Peter is doing a service to raise the issue of why people are arming themselves.
But I think he is simultaneously doing our citizens a disservice by leaving OC off the table as a viable option.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin