• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What type of gun do you carry?

Hevymetal

Just curious what everyone here carries on a day to day basis.

If you have the time and inclination to post it please list.

Primary Make/Model/Caliber/Capacity/Action
Backup Up Gun Make/Model/Caliber/Capacity/Action

How do you carry your guns?

I'll get the ball rolling

Primary - Sig / 229 Scorpion TB / 9mm / 15+1 / SA/DA
BUG - Sig / P230 / .380 / 7+1 / SA/DA

Primary in a Serpa lvl 2 OC
Bug in a IWB holster CC

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Utility matters to some.

G9 upto (33 + 1) backup = G26 (33 + 1) back up to back up folding carbine sub2000 (33 + 1).

If at all possible, I was trained to use primary & back-ups that can all use the same mags & ammo.

Just some thing to think about... use what works best for you & to heck with everyone else. :D

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

Last edited:

Michigander

Sig P220 primary. Glock 20 back up.

I agree with G9OS about having a backup and primary which share magazines. One of these days if I can justify the expense I need to get another Glock 20.

Last edited:

Evil Creamsicle

+1 on magazine compatibility.

Springfield XD .45ACP 5" Tactical, SA, Striker fired, 13+1 [Though, since I keep the mags loaded all the time, I only load it up to 12+1 to save my mag springs]
Serpa L2, not a cheap sportster but a real serpa. Usually on a belt loop but also own a drop-leg platform. OC
Though, at work, I conceal this big bastard, IWB on back. Boss is OK with it [he carries too], but the nature of my business means he has to employ a lot of metro-lib-anti-hipsters

Had a Springfield XD .45ACP 4" as a backup, but, well... lets just say I 'no longer have possession of this firearm'. Don't ask, sore subject.

Intending on getting an XDm .45 and a G20, once I sell one of the WW2 Commemorative M1 Garand's I'm in the process of acquiring.

Sig P220 primary. Glock 20 back up.

I agree with G9OS about having a backup and primary which share magazines. One of these days if I can justify the expense I need to get another Glock 20.

ETA: Michigander, justifying a gun purchase? I'm calling you, I think someone hacked your account. Lol.

Last edited:

lil_freak_66

Star M43(firestar) plus.

blackhawk cqc holster for glock 17/19 lightly modded to accept and retain the star, two extra mags in a black leather dual pouch.147 gr. jhp's

no backup, but going to a more common pistol soon.

Last edited:

TheQ

Springfield XDm 9mm full sized 4.5" using 124+P GoldDot. At night I keep the GoldDot in the chamber but the mag is filled with Hornady critical defense. At night it's under my pillow (pointed into the back yard, where it would have to first go through plaster wall, 5" of "AirCrete" insulation, and clay brick before getting outside) in a IWB holster. Day I carry it in the IWB in my car (IWB not on my person) and a Safariland ALS Paddle holster + ALS Guard. The capacity is 19 and I always carry a spare. Single action.

I also, from time to time, carry a Ruger LC9 in a pocket holster. Capacity is 7. Half Cock/"light" double action.

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
OOH a fun thread, yay. :)

Smith & Wesson M&P.40 Pro, 5". APEX Tactical Forward Set and Sear Trigger 3.5lb, APEX R.A.M. Trijicon sights. 15+1, spare mag, hand cast reloads, OC in a Blackhawk Serpa.

Occasionally, I'll carry my daughters brushed silver Walther P-22 as a bug.

detroit_fan

primary- springfield/ XD sub-compact/ 9mm/16+1

backup- ruger/lcp/380/6+1

i carry the lcp in a pocket holster most of the time, but i do have a custom made OWB for it too. the xd is carried with supertuck, or don hume OWB holster.

Ezerharden

Primary: Glock 22 .40 15+1 in a Fobus compact paddle Roto holster (also fits my Glock 27) or carried concealed in a Desanti shoulder rig.
Backup: Glock 27 .40 9+1 in a Galco ankle holster, inside ankle weak side. Also have an IWB concealed holster for it if that is all I am carrying for whatever reason.
Alternate backup: S&W Airweight .38 5 shot revolver in a cargo pocket.(on the rare occasions I wear shorts in public... Most people are more afraid of seeing my naked legs than my sidearm :lol: :lol: )
All of the above are loaded with jacketed hollow points with spare magazines or speed loader on my person.

And before anyone jumps me about Fobus holsters :D I can say this. I had a Serpa at a company I worked for and took a spill on a training course, dirt got into the mechanism and it would not disengage from the weapon. Also I have seen the video of the Fobus holster being broken off the wearer and all I can say is that only an idiot just stands there and lets that happen without the perp getting an elbow to the face as they move away. One thing I learned in training for Security is you NEVER let someone that close to your sidearm. NEVER. As an additional protection, I also keep my arm over my weapon if people are what I consider "too close" until I can increase the distance between us.

I also carry Michigan Approved diluted pepper spray.

Last edited:

Raggs

Primary: Glock 22 .40 15+1 in a Fobus compact paddle Roto holster (also fits my Glock 27)

Ezerharden, I looked up that holster and it looks quite similar to a unle mike's holster I have, maybe it would work as a carry holster if I am not in a crowded space?

Last edited:

Ezerharden

Ezerharden, I looked up that holster and it looks quite similar to a unle mike's holster I have, maybe it would work as a carry holster if I am not in a crowded space?

Mine works for me, however in my opinion it really comes down to what you are comfortable with and what you train with.

Tucker6900

Smith and Wesson M&P .45 as primary. 10 round mag (plus spare mag) full of Hornady Critical Defense. Blackhawk Serpa Level 1
Smith and Wesson M&P 9c as backup. 12+1...HCD. IWB Iowa Leather custom holster.

I also carry a Gerber fixed blade 4" knife on my belt behind my primary.

Home defense consists of a Benelli M4 Super 90 loaded with 00. Ready for the bad guys!

Last edited:

Michigander

I used a cross strap nylon Uncle Mikes sidekick in Phoenix every day for over 6 months. Space is less of an issue there than it tends to be in metro detroit. You can get away with it if you're situationally aware and not in a crowded area. It is not ideal, because if you have any sense you'll be more on edge than you'd need to be with a retention holster, but it is doable.

Bring more people into the situation, perhaps a tense situation wheres strangers are drinking heavily, or any other circumstance to up the chance of danger, and I'd suggest level 2+ or concealment.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

1851 5 1/2 inch colt navy conversion, 38spl 158gr flat nose over 18gr of FFFFG, in a Tom Threepersons holster. BUG is a 38spl 2inch J frame in crossdraw leather holster. Around home a PA-63 in my back pocket.

Ken56

Taurus mil pro 9mm, 12 +1 and spare mag in a Fobus paddle. I know I need a retention holster but I can't seem to find one for it. S&W j frame .38 spl 5 shot bug IWB Desantis, although I don't carry the BUG every day.

Michigander

I know I need a retention holster but I can't seem to find one for it..

I guarantee you that there is a Safariland SLS (rotating hood) type of holster which will fit it well. Venator's S&W for example fits beautifully in my P220 version of the Safariland 6280.

It's kind of a dicky maneuver, but if money is tight you can test fit at a uniform store until you find a good fit, then say no thanks and order from the web for a much lower price. This here is about as cheap as SLS models get- http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum2088.php

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Primary: Glock 22 .40 15+1 in a Fobus compact paddle Roto holster (also fits my Glock 27) or carried concealed in a Desanti shoulder rig.
Backup: Glock 27 .40 9+1 in a Galco ankle holster, inside ankle weak side. Also have an IWB concealed holster for it if that is all I am carrying for whatever reason.
Alternate backup: S&W Airweight .38 5 shot revolver in a cargo pocket.(on the rare occasions I wear shorts in public... Most people are more afraid of seeing my naked legs than my sidearm :lol: :lol: )
All of the above are loaded with jacketed hollow points with spare magazines or speed loader on my person.

And before anyone jumps me about Fobus holsters :D I can say this. I had a Serpa at a company I worked for and took a spill on a training course, dirt got into the mechanism and it would not disengage from the weapon. Also I have seen the video of the Fobus holster being broken off the wearer and all I can say is that only an idiot just stands there and lets that happen without the perp getting an elbow to the face as they move away. One thing I learned in training for Security is you NEVER let someone that close to your sidearm. NEVER. As an additional protection, I also keep my arm over my weapon if people are what I consider "too close" until I can increase the distance between us.

I also carry Michigan Approved diluted pepper spray.

I had a leo yank hard at least 6 times trying to get my G23 out of a Fobus paddle a few years ago. It retained the pistol fine, nor did it break.

EDC: G23, 15+1, serpa, at least 1 more 15-round mag and 1 10-round mag. Usually carry either my p64, 9mak, 6+1 w/ 4 6-round mags or my NAA .22mag with 6 extra rounds. The NAA is my backup when I am going into a pfz, as it has the belt-clip holster and I can quickly attach it to my belt to avoid concealing a pistol in a pfz.

Last edited: