• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What type of gun do you carry?

Scooter

I carry the Smith & Wesson M&P 9c with a full size mag and mag adapter which gives me 17+1, I also carry 2 spares holding the standard 12 rounds each. The holster is a Blackhawk Serpa, the spare mags are in a Blackhawk double mag holder with the "screw retention". I run a variety of ammo through my M&P so the personal defense rounds I carry vary over time. I always make sure I run a good amount of ammo through my gun to make sure it works for me. I have yet to have any problems with anything I have tried.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
The thing-a-ma-jig (bushing) is denting along with the place it smacks into the frame.

Ah, yes. The reverse bushing raises a burr where it contacts the slide. Mine did that, too, but not too badly; was able to clean the bushing up with a Dremel.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Is that considered open carry?

Generally considered a grey area. Only one case on the east side, and the defendant plead out. Judge opined that a LEO is a trained observer; a 'normal' person may not notice the grip of a sidearm in the normal, everyday interactions blah blah blah. Hence, he was hit with CCW (felony) as he did not have a CPL.

Best choice- a holster that is completely outside the waistband, unless you have a CPL. Also, if IWB with a CPL, even partly exposed, don't forget to immediately inform a LEO at the beginning of a stop.

Raggs

Best choice- a holster that is completely outside the waistband, unless you have a CPL. Also, if IWB with a CPL, even partly exposed, don't forget to immediately inform a LEO at the beginning of a stop.

Thanks Shadow Bear, I do have a CPL and my iwb is the most secure holster I have, though I am getting used to the Uncle Mikes holster I have.

Rockhunter 1620

Ruger, SR-40, 40. cal., 4in. barrel, stainless/composite, 15+1, semi auto, (primary). Colt, 1911, "Delta-Elite, 10mm, 5in. barrel, stainless/composite, 8+1, semi auto, (secondary), Hornady 165gr. "Critical Defence" fer both. Fer now, I'm using the uuh, cheap=a$$ nylon uncle mike's w/adjustible thumb break belt holster till I can decide whick Serpa or safariland model would be the best. Oh, and I'm left handed. :cool: RH

Last edited:

MainelyGlock

Glock 22 Gen 4 w/three 15-round magazines plus the magpul plates on all of them. Carried in either a Blackhawk Level 2 Serpa or a DeSantis. Back up (when carried) is a Taurus PT709 with one extra magazine, IWB. Back up to my back up is a Mossberg 500ATP. For ammo in my Glock, I've been using Winchester PDX1 rounds, and Hornady JHP for the Taurus.

Michigander

Fer now, I'm using the uuh, cheap=a$$ nylon uncle mike's w/adjustible thumb break belt holster till I can decide whick Serpa or safariland model would be the best.

Screw the Serpa, get a Safariland! ALS if you want either or both of speed and affordability. Get the SLS with an add on if you want maximum retention. No reason to wait unless it's money holding you back.

Super Trucker

I was in Columbus, OH and suburbs this past weekend. I saw several LEOs and all were wearing...Blackhawk CQC Serpas. Just sayin'. :lol:

In the last 2 years 2 Detroit leo's shot people that didn't need to be shot.

Moral: just because cops do something it isn't always right.

NHCGRPR45

Sig 226R with Viridian X5L in a custom Kydex holster 15+1 When I carry a back up its a Glock 33 with a 1 round extended mag. Both are loaded with Winchester Ranger "T" Series rounds. Very similar to the Black Talon ammo just a diffrent color bullet and a "T" designator. The 9mm ammo is +P+ 115gr and the .357 Sig ammo is 125gr.

Last edited:

MainelyGlock

Sig 226R with Viridian X5L in a custom Kydex holster 15+1 When I carry a back up its a Glock 33 with a 1 round extended mag. Both are loaded with Winchester Ranger "T" Series rounds. Very similar to the Black Talon ammo just a diffrent color bullet and a "T" designator. The 9mm ammo is +P+ 115gr and the .357 Sig ammo is 125gr.

Not to get too off topic, but how do you like your X5L? I've been thinking about buying one for my Glock 22.

NHCGRPR45

Not to get too off topic, but how do you like your X5L? I've been thinking about buying one for my Glock 22.

I really like it but there are a few things to consider.

1. The battery life is much shorter than a red laser/light combo because the green laser eats more juice than a red beam.
2. The water resistance is not yet as good as a Surefire or similar type light from other manufactures.
3. Holster selections/options are also limited because of its new-ness.

But I still bought it over the other light laser combos because the beam visibillity is better in the day, and I prefer the button type activation than paddle type activation of other models. And I have smaller hands it's controls fall in a more natural position for me. And it didn't have a 450 - 500 price tag, I got mine from XFighterdefense.com The owner is a LEO and a really good guy he gave me a no BullShi***r on its ups and downs and gave me a pretty good military discount as well and a free Viridian T-Shirt as well. Also the ECR feature really sold me as well. When you draw the weapon from an ECR TacLock holster it activates the unit in whatever mode you have set it to, very handy IMO. No messing with buttons or paddles to turn on the unit in a high stress situation. It could work the other way as well but when I draw I prefer to have the unit activate. Check out the Viridian website if you have not done that yet they have TacLock holsters there for sale and all the info you might need about weapon compatabillity and also give, you a list on all available holsters for every make and model of firearm that are comonly found to have a rail. Hope that helped.

PS .. recommend you carry 2 guns....just saying

I do SIG P226R and Glock 33

bagz013

Primary- Smith and Wesson M&P 9c in a RG Leather pancake holster.

BUG- Kel-Tec .380 in a pocket RG Leather Holster.

MainelyGlock

I really like it but there are a few things to consider.

1. The battery life is much shorter than a red laser/light combo because the green laser eats more juice than a red beam.
2. The water resistance is not yet as good as a Surefire or similar type light from other manufactures.
3. Holster selections/options are also limited because of its new-ness.

But I still bought it over the other light laser combos because the beam visibillity is better in the day, and I prefer the button type activation than paddle type activation of other models. And I have smaller hands it's controls fall in a more natural position for me. And it didn't have a 450 - 500 price tag, I got mine from XFighterdefense.com The owner is a LEO and a really good guy he gave me a no BullShi***r on its ups and downs and gave me a pretty good military discount as well and a free Viridian T-Shirt as well. Also the ECR feature really sold me as well. When you draw the weapon from an ECR TacLock holster it activates the unit in whatever mode you have set it to, very handy IMO. No messing with buttons or paddles to turn on the unit in a high stress situation. It could work the other way as well but when I draw I prefer to have the unit activate. Check out the Viridian website if you have not done that yet they have TacLock holsters there for sale and all the info you might need about weapon compatabillity and also give, you a list on all available holsters for every make and model of firearm that are comonly found to have a rail. Hope that helped.

Just saw that you had replied to my question. Thanks so much for all the info! I love the ECR, but I wish they made TacLoc holsters for lefties. There's a way to bootleg your X5L so the ECR will work on any holster, but I'd rather not mess around with something that expensive.

NHCGRPR45

I am sure they will but its going to take some time, probably a lot of time. I got my first holster from NTAC he does the MI gun shows at gibraltar trade center. He made it while I watched which was pretty neat, and even made some adjustments when it didn't release my gun the way I wanted it to. The adjustments took longer to do the the making of the holster!

Just ordered a TACLOK holster from Viridian, its finally out for SIG's!

Last edited:

MainelyGlock

I am sure they will but its going to take some time, probably a lot of time. I got my first holster from NTAC he does the MI gun shows at gibraltar trade center. He made it while I watched which was pretty neat, and even made some adjustments when it didn't release my gun the way I wanted it to. The adjustments took longer to do the the making of the holster!

Just ordered a TACLOK holster from Viridian, its finally out for SIG's!

I wouldn't mind getting one custom made, but I much prefer to have a retention holster, and haven't seen anyone who can make those yet.