• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How Dangerous are Armed Citizens?

M-Taliesin

Meanwhile, back at the topic...

Howdy Folks!
What I find, as I look for information about guns used by citizens for self defense, and the defense of others, is how often cops end up shooting the wrong person compared to how often it happens among LAC's.

Does anybody else find it incongruous that 11% of police shootings end up taking out the wrong person compared to only 2% of armed citizens?
Or that some 2,800+ badguys are shot by ctizens compared to only 300+ for cops in a given year?

We hear about how the cops are all highly trained, but the information I am seeing is that cops are less effective at stopping a crime in progress (likely because armed citizens are in more public places than cops in general) and that cops are not immune from firearms mishaps.

Thanks for sharing folks!
Blessings,
M-Taliesin

since9

Campaign Veteran
My thoughts... well, I'm damned dangerous to anyone bent on criminal intent to me, my family, or innocents! Otherwise, I do honestly pray to my Lord and Savior that I never have to use my weapon to take another life. However, as my pastor says, "The Lord doesn't expect you to sacrifice your life to the evil intents of those who would do you harm."

I was going to come up with some sort of witty post, but yours works just fine for me! :)

Maine Expat

Howdy Folks!
What I find, as I look for information about guns used by citizens for self defense, and the defense of others, is how often cops end up shooting the wrong person compared to how often it happens among LAC's.

Does anybody else find it incongruous that 11% of police shootings end up taking out the wrong person compared to only 2% of armed citizens?
Or that some 2,800+ badguys are shot by ctizens compared to only 300+ for cops in a given year?

We hear about how the cops are all highly trained, but the information I am seeing is that cops are less effective at stopping a crime in progress (likely because armed citizens are in more public places than cops in general) and that cops are not immune from firearms mishaps.

Thanks for sharing folks!
Blessings,
M-Taliesin

This little factoid has proven to be very effective at stopping the antis in their misguided tracks in every forum discussion I've been involved in recently. They simply have no answer for it. :monkey

9400 gun murders versus 34000 vehicular deaths (2010) slows them down quite nicely too, but the 11% vs 2% thing shuts them right down, especially when I ask, "WHO would you rather be with in a shoot out?"

since9

Campaign Veteran

Actually, this makes sense, given the difference in roles and procedures between the two groups:

Armed citizens:
- routinely avoid locations and situations prone to crime
- do not receive frequent and regular calls to assist with violent and potentially lethal situations
- most encounters occur in isolated situations, separate from innocent people

LEOs:
- routinely patrol locations and situations prone to crime
- do receive frequent and regular calls to assist with violent and potentially lethal situations
- many encounters occur in crowded situations, near innocent people

Bottom line, cops move towards situations where shootings are both more likely to occur as well as involve innocent people.

The reasons I gave above do not explain this. What does, however, is the fact that LEOs are specifically trained not to use lethal force except as a last resort. They'll escalate along the following path: verbal-physical-baton-mace-taser before they'll use their firearms.

We citizens aren't trained along these lines and we know it. We're more or less trained to follow this path: avoid-escape-verbal-firearm.

Only 1 in 375 of us are law enforcement officers at local, county, state, or federal levels, yet 1 in 2 of us own firearms, and 1 in 20 routinely carries a firearm. At home, we're 187 times more likely to be the first armed individual at the scene of a break-in to our own home than a is a cop. Out and about, we're nearly 20 times more likely to be present at the scene of a crime as it begins. I'd increase this figure significantly, however, perhaps to 50 times more likely, as criminals are always on the lookout for cops. They're not always on the lookout for armed citizens. Let's compromise, though, as most LEOs CC, and call it 35 times more likely to be present at the scene of a non-at-home crime when it begins than is an LEO.

Key Point: So, 10 times more bad guys are shot by LACs than by LEOs, yet we're at least 20 times more likely to be present at the scene of a crime when it begins than is an LEO. This tells me that when it comes to shooting bad guys, we have twice the restraint of your average LEO. This jibes with with the figure that we're 5 times less likely to shoot innocent civilians than are LEOs.

I'm well aware of what qualifications they look for in LEO candidates, and I'll guarantee you one of those qualities is lean-forward aggressiveness. I suspect that's the primary reason behind these ratios, these differences between LACs and LEOs.

carolina guy

actually, this makes sense, given the difference in roles and procedures between the two groups:

Armed citizens:
- do not receive frequent and regular calls to assist with violent and potentially lethal situations

leos:
- do receive frequent and regular calls to assist with violent and potentially lethal situations

bottom line, cops move towards situations where shootings are both more likely to occur as well as involve innocent people.
<snip>

(*thumbs up*)

Last edited:

OC for ME

Actually, this makes sense, given the difference in roles and procedures between the two groups:

Armed citizens:

LEOs:

Bottom line, cops move towards situations where shootings are both more likely to occur as well as involve innocent people.
Would you be willing to qualify your analysis based on demographic/geographic factors. Not all jurisdictions have the same level of crime as other jurisdictions, let alone a 'rough part of town' for a LEO to patrol. In other words, if a LEAs jurisdiction is relatively crime free they have a really good gig.

You will even find that the NYPD has 'quiet beats' and 'not so quiet beats'.

The reasons I gave above do not explain this. What does, however, is the fact that LEOs are specifically trained not to use lethal force except as a last resort. They'll escalate along the following path: verbal-physical-baton-mace-taser before they'll use their firearms.

We citizens aren't trained along these lines and we know it. We're more or less trained to follow this path: avoid-escape-verbal-firearm.
It would be nice if all cops followed this escalation of force process, sadly most do not. Time is a constraint that cops feel they have to deal with very quickly, I'll amend to a verbal-physical-zap or bang.