• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Background Check Criteria

Law abider

Hi gang. I already have my CCL from the DOJ for a few months. I just purchased a handgun from Eiesen Arms and noe I have to have another another background check. Is the criteria different from that of the CCL background check?
Also what do those living in Miluakee know about Eiesen Arms?

NoTolerance

I can't speak with absolute authority, but based on my own experience with purchasing a firearm and then running into an issue obtaining my CCL initially, I would conjecture that WI gun shops/FFLs run a background check for handguns using the WI Handgun Hotline, whereas the DoJ when conducting a background check uses the Federal NICS database.

I had no trouble buying a handgun, yet was denied my CCL initially. It turned out I had an outstanding warrant from 1998 (failure to pay a fine) in another state. How would I have passed the FFL's background check yet failed the DoJ's check? What I posit above is the only thing that makes sense to me.

WI Handgun Hotline Website said:
In November of 1998, the FBI implemented the National Instant Firearms Background Checks System. Because Wisconsin already does background checks on handguns, Wisconsin dealers use the Handgun Hotline for transfers of handguns and NICS for all other firearms. The Hotline does assist NICS on follow-ups to determine eligibility for transfer of long guns when requested.

Interceptor_Knight

Hi gang. I already have my CCL from the DOJ for a few months. I just purchased a handgun from Eiesen Arms and noe I have to have another another background check. Is the criteria different from that of the CCL background check?

I am not clear on your scenario.
Just because you have a WI carry license does not exempt you from having to pay the $13 and have a WI handgun hotline background check done and a 48 hour wait. If you fail to pick your handgun up within the maximum number of days, they have to call the check in again.

Law abider

I am not clear on your scenario.
Just because you have a WI carry license does not exempt you from having to pay the $13 and have a WI handgun hotline background check done and a 48 hour wait. If you fail to pick your handgun up within the maximum number of days, they have to call the check in again.

What I meant was The DOJ criteria for the CCL and the handgun purchase background check criteria: are they different. No Tolerance seems to think so. I'll have to go to my local hardware store and pay the $20 for another background check. Why do we need two and why don't they sync so we don't need 2 checks. Maybe they feel you could have done something bad between CCL issue and handgun purchase.
Interceptor??

Interceptor_Knight

What I meant was The DOJ criteria for the CCL and the handgun purchase background check criteria: are they different. No Tolerance seems to think so. I'll have to go to my local hardware store and pay the $20 for another background check. Why do we need two and why don't they sync so we don't need 2 checks. Maybe they feel you could have done something bad between CCL issue and handgun purchase.
Interceptor??

The Wisconsin CCL background check includes two components: (1) a criminal history record search; and (2) a search of the national instant criminal background check system (NICS) operated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

The handgun hotline from what I understand simply does a criminal background check. In other words, the check for the CCL is more stringent. The 2 systems are not in sync and the handgun hotline folks do not have access to the CCL system to verify if you have a current license. Blame this on our "friends" in Madison who do not trust us and insist on keeping the handgun hotline in operation.
On another note.... $20 for a background check? This is in effect a $8 transfer labor fee for handguns. Do they charge a $8 transfer fee for a long gun also?

Last edited:

Law abider

The handgun hotline from what I understand simply does a criminal background check. In other words, the check for the CCL is more stringent. The 2 systems are not in sync and the handgun hotline folks do not have access to the CCL system to verify if you have a current license. Blame this on our "friends" in Madison who do not trust us and insist on keeping the handgun hotline in operation.
On another note.... $20 for a background check? This is in effect a $8 transfer labor fee for handguns. Do they charge a $8 transfer fee for a long gun also?

May be we need to address this non sync issue to Madison and see if we can change it. In theory if you obtain a CCL you should be allowed to buy a firearm within X number of days say 2 weeks and then you'll have to go and get another background check aka the more stringent one that is used for the CCL. Do you think Glenn grothman should address this issue? As for long guns I don't know about the extra transfer labor fee.

Last edited:

MKEgal

Haven't heard of them.

Law abider said:
I just purchased a handgun & have to have another another background check.
Is the criteria different from that of the CCL background check?
Yes. If nothing else, the questions are slightly different.
I was able (legally) to purchase a pistol during my recent period of judicially-imposed disability (not allowed to possess outside my home), but because of that judge's whim I was not able to get my cc license.

Law abider said:
I'll have to go to my local hardware store and pay the $20 for another background check.
The fee to the state is only $13.

GreenCountyPete

If you purchase a handgun , then say go on vacation or get busy and can't get back to pick it up between 48 hours and 5 days so in a 3 day window they are now required to run another instant check and charge you 13 dollars more , you may then take it immediately as you have already waited 48+ hours but apparently this is just in case you committed a crime in the interim

my local store will check with you that you will be able to return during business hours on the day or day after your 48 hours are reached , or they will hold your background check and process it 48 hours before you said you could be back to get your gun.