• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Maryland now a real open carry state

rvrctyrngr

That was my point, Zach. They've always had open carry with a license (just like we USED to have), it's just now supposedly going to be easier to get one.

FTR, REAL OC states don't require a license to do so.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Regardless of the semantics, this is good news. Permits are now shall-issue rather than may-issue, this is a huge step forward for Maryland. Hopefully, this will stand up to further court challenges and the Maryland Legislature's attempts to restrict the rights of law-abiding citizens.

rvrctyrngr

Regardless of the semantics, this is good news. Permits are now shall-issue rather than may-issue, this is a huge step forward for Maryland. Hopefully, this will stand up to further court challenges and the Maryland Legislature's attempts to restrict the rights of law-abiding citizens.

They are still 'may issue', as the issuing authority has discretion. They just can no longer use 'lack of good reason' as a basis for denial.

Crap ton better than it was, though, you're right.

77zach

but that probably has no influence on DC, right?

Maryland may very well give in and become a de facto shall issue state. Either way, if decisions like this come out in places like the PDR of New Jersey or NY, then I'd say it would go to the "Supreme" Court, which would affect DC.