• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry Colorado Springs, Co

Marcus Williams

I just wanted to know if there are any open carriers in the Colorado springs area? cause Ive never seen any. and if so have you ran into any issues with the public or police in this area ?

mahkagari

Welcome to the forum. To find OCers and positive experience in the Springs you only need to look at, oh, every thread for the past fifty pages. :)

rushcreek2

Welcome to the forum. You will soon be receiving considerable feedback concerning your question.

Colorado Springs may well be the center of gravity for OC in Colorado. What area of COS do you frequent ? I lived in the Sandcreek area from 2006-2009. Now I reside in the Stetson Hills area.

From my own experience most folks aren't looking for a holstered sidearm on the average nonuniformed civilian. Depending upon how one presents themselves when open carrying they may go unnoticed, or casually dismissed as being someone who probably has a good reason for being armed.

OC might be aptly described as an "occupation" for some of us. I am retired, and have the flexibility needed to pick and choose when, where, or whether I OC. You probably wouldn't even observe that I am armed in passing because I prefer to holster IWB (inside waist-band) amidst my preferred golf shirt which is a rather low profile version of open carry.

You are fortunate to be located in one of the most favorable communities in the U.S. for exercising your OC right. You are also in the right place on this Colorado forum. Curious - How did you learn about OCDo_Org/Colorado ? Much valuable information to be had here. Again - Welcome !

LoneEchoWolf

I just wanted to know if there are any open carriers in the Colorado springs area? cause Ive never seen any. and if so have you ran into any issues with the public or police in this area ?

Welcome to OCDO! Take your time and I'm sure you already have to look around at any and all laws and threads on here and whatnot, we have great group of Coloradans here that are more than willing to help answer any questions you have. I have carried a couple of times in the springs while visiting family without any problems at all, as for me i live prob 3 hours from springs so i don't get up there as much as id like to, but so far no bad encounters what so ever!

Last edited:

Wolfstanus

I used to see a few at my work. Not anymore though. Only 1 problem and it wasted about 15 minutes of my life. Walmart greeter type lady. (stero type kind) called the police and lied. Was fixed in 15 minutes. Also free gas out of it.

LoneEchoWolf

I used to see a few at my work. Not anymore though. Only 1 problem and it wasted about 15 minutes of my life. Walmart greeter type lady. (stero type kind) called the police and lied. Was fixed in 15 minutes. Also free gas out of it.

Well you just caught my attention lol, i must know more. Lied? please go on ha-ha, id love to hear the story, if you have it posted could i get the link? and if you didn't or don't want to post it, send me a PM would love to hear the story, but glad it all got cleared up for ya, so far no problems at any walmart Ive went to.

Wolfstanus

I stopped by a loaf n jug. To fill up my truck. I had then a m&p .40. I was paying at the pump at looking around as I don't really like filling my truck late at night (was around 12-1am). Suddenly I see a police car rushing up. I'm all kinds of confused and he jumps out yelling for me to get on the ground. So I instantly do as told. I'm zip tied hands he checks my pockets and drags everything out. Finds a couple of s&w knifes car keys iPod iPhone speaker wallet keys etc. as he goes through his routine asking questions etc. he asks me why I have a weapon. I answer "for personal protection because Girly slaps don't work to well." he laughed telling me I can't really remember. Somthing along the lines of shaving my beard. I'm still Ziped tied and he cobtinues asking me questions. Such as why im out where im going etc. I clear my background check and he cuts the tie saying I'm free to go as soon as we visit inside the station. As soon as the door opens we hear "he's going to kill us all!" he tells me I'm free to go now and hands me my pistol back. The manager walks me over to the counter apologizing to me and activates a $50 gift card. I walk out noticing the cop speaking with a really wide short old woman. she's yelling at him now. I walk out and hear the cop saying "we have gone through this before with you" the door closes and I leave.

It was probably over 30 minutes but I was to confused and nervous to care about time. Also I was laughing a lot to. Pretty sure my blatant confusion helped and the cop has seen me before.

Last edited:

Wolfstanus

Also about 2 years of oc and that was my only problem I have had other than random comments random comments I mostly ignore unless its a question or some conversation.

LoneEchoWolf

I stopped by a loaf n jug. To fill up my truck. I had then a m&p .40. I was paying at the pump at looking around as I don't really like filling my truck late at night (was around 12-1am). Suddenly I see a police car rushing up. I'm all kinds of confused and he jumps out yelling for me to get on the ground. So I instantly do as told. I'm zip tied hands he checks my pockets and drags everything out. Finds a couple of s&w knifes car keys iPod iPhone speaker wallet keys etc. as he goes through his routine asking questions etc. he asks me why I have a weapon. I answer "for personal protection because Girly slaps don't work to well." he laughed telling me I can't really remember. Somthing along the lines of shaving my beard. I'm still Ziped tied and he cobtinues asking me questions. Such as why im out where im going etc. I clear my background check and he cuts the tie saying I'm free to go as soon as we visit inside the station. As soon as the door opens we hear "he's going to kill us all!" he tells me I'm free to go now and hands me my pistol back. The manager walks me over to the counter apologizing to me and activates a $50 gift card. I walk out noticing the cop speaking with a really wide short old woman. she's yelling at him now. I walk out and hear the cop saying "we have gone through this before with you" the door closes and I leave.

It was probably over 30 minutes but I was to confused and nervous to care about time. Also I was laughing a lot to. Pretty sure my blatant confusion helped and the cop has seen me before.

Sounds like one hell of a time, glad it all turned out right and everything is ok, all because of some crazy lady things could have gone far worse. glad everything worked out. Thanks for sharing!

Keens

Welcome! I've OC'ed a few times down in the Springs and it was a non issue. In fact, its a non issue in all of Colorado except the PDR of Denver. I've only seen 2 OC'ers over the years outside of the meet and greets and some good friends I've made on this forum. They are out there and I hope to see more as I go about my daily business. We get a few new folks to OC each week on this forum. We are working hard to educate the general public about open carry and the movement is growing! Again, welcome!

Blessings,

Keens

MTBWolf

Since moving this past week to Woodland Park, I have OC'd all over town. No issue at all up here in the City in the Clouds.

Marcus Williams

I live in the briargate area I've open carried a lot of places and normally when I do I'm dressed in a polo or a dress shirt most people assume I'm a police officer I advise them I'm not they ask me questions about carrying a firearm then usually leave me alone today I went to a nice Mexican restaurant downtown El taco rey and open carried there one customer just asked me questions about carrying a fire arm and El taco rey on Colorado avenue I talked to them and they were ok with me legal carrying a firearm :)

Welcome to the forum. You will soon be receiving considerable feedback concerning your question.

Colorado Springs may well be the center of gravity for OC in Colorado. What area of COS do you frequent ? I lived in the Sandcreek area from 2006-2009. Now I reside in the Stetson Hills area.

From my own experience most folks aren't looking for a holstered sidearm on the average nonuniformed civilian. Depending upon how one presents themselves when open carrying they may go unnoticed, or casually dismissed as being someone who probably has a good reason for being armed.

OC might be aptly described as an "occupation" for some of us. I am retired, and have the flexibility needed to pick and choose when, where, or whether I OC. You probably wouldn't even observe that I am armed in passing because I prefer to holster IWB (inside waist-band) amidst my preferred golf shirt which is a rather low profile version of open carry.

You are fortunate to be located in one of the most favorable communities in the U.S. for exercising your OC right. You are also in the right place on this Colorado forum. Curious - How did you learn about OCDo_Org/Colorado ? Much valuable information to be had here. Again - Welcome !

LoneEchoWolf

A Important question I have is I live very close to a school I hear there is a 1000 feet rule now does this apply to the building itself or the actual school zone property?

Title 18 U.S.C. §921(25) The term “school zone” means— (A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or (B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school. (26) The term “school” means a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as determined under State law.

I am not a lawyer, but i believe that is 1000 feet from the property line itself but I'm quite iffy on this for some reason tonight, so if someone else would like to help clarify that would be awesome! but if you have your CHP i believe that it nullifies the 1000 ft thing if i recall correctly if your CC. also a nice side fact, Although the GFSZA allows a citizen to discharge a firearm on private property it prohibits discharge on public property in the Gun Free Zones by anyone except on-duty law enforcement and school security. A carry permit never exempts an individual from the GFSZA discharge restrictions, even in the State that physically issued it. now what this means to someone living within the zone i could not tell you how that works, i know that your land is private property and of course you can carry there, but lets say your car is parked out front of your home on a public roadway, I'm quite hazy on how it works to walk from your home to your car OC in said zone. i don't live in one so i don't have that issue but maybe someone more knowledgeable could help me out on that one and let me know how that works?

Wolfstanus

YOur car is an extension of your home. you can cc/oc in your private vehicle. You can not cc from your home to your car without a cc permit.

I can't look up the law because cellphones kinda suck for that also at work.
(castle law) But I believe a gun case is not considerd cc.

I was told by a officer its 1000 feet from school property.

PikesPeakMtnMan

Federal law prohibits guns within 1000' of the property line (if you're one your own private property within 1000' then it doesn't count)..but there is NO state law that is even close to mimicking the federal law. Consensus is that it is HIGHLY unlikely that you will be charged with violating the school zone law if that is the ONLY law you've broken. If they catch you dealing drugs or something then they will use that as another charge to throw at you but by itself I'm not sure any federal prosecutor would waste their time.

Certainly, there are no instances in CO of someone being charged with violating a school zone.

A permit to carry does exempt you from the federal law, so if you want to spend ~$300 for peace of mind then you can (I do have my permit and I do make judicious use of it).

FYI, the federal law also states something to the effect of "knowingly aware of a school"...so if you travel and you deliberately DO NOT learn where the schools are you can only be breaking the law if you're walking along in front of it...but a block or so away from it, you're fine. If you have an internet map printed out with school locations then it'd be hard to argue that you were unaware of a school's location. I want to make it clear though....I have NEVER heard of anyone being charged with violating the federal gun free school zone when that is the one and only charge, it is usually an "add-on" to charges for other offenses.

LoneEchoWolf

YOur car is an extension of your home. you can cc/oc in your private vehicle. You can not cc from your home to your car without a cc permit.

I can't look up the law because cellphones kinda suck for that also at work.
(castle law) But I believe a gun case is not considerd cc.

I was told by a officer its 1000 feet from school property.

no no i was meaning like if your in the school zone and walk from your house to your car OC how it works with the zone and all. not meaning once your in the car or on your property but the getting there. if you haveto walk on "public" land.

thanks for the help though everyone as i said for some reason im hazy tonight on the school zone thing. hope that it helped though

Wolfstanus

Oh I was referring to if it's on the street. Its on public land then. I typed it down but my phone glitched/hiccuped/farted/derped the page.

My phone just auto corrected "referring" to treating...