• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new member need info

thunder33

I am new to oc and its laws for ohio. I have a question. I am needing to know if I can transport or carry a firearm with a loaded clip under the front seat an the gun locked up in the trunk. If not what are the ways that I can transport or carry in the vehicle and what permits do I need if any?

ZeroC

Without a CHL you have to unload the gun AND magazines (regardless if they're together) and store the firearm in a compartment of the vehicle that requires you to get out of the car to access it.

If you have a CHL you can carry a loaded firearm in your car however you feel like if you're alone in the car and only in your control if there are people without CHL's in the car.

Last edited:

thunder33

Without a CHL you have to unload the gun AND magazines (regardless if they're together) and store the firearm in a compartment of the vehicle that requires you to get out of the car to access it.

If you have a CHL you can carry a loaded firearm in your car however you feel like if you're alone in the car and only in your control if there are people without CHL's in the car.

so in other words the clip under the front seat has to be unloaded too even though the gun is in the trunck.

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
so in other words the clip under the front seat has to be unloaded too even though the gun is in the trunck.
Yes, without a CHL you are to have no loaded magazines or speed loaders ANYWHERE in the vehicle. Doing so means your gun is "loaded" per the (stupid) Ohio Revised Code.

BTW, I seriously doubt your gun has a "clip". More likely it is a magazine.

Last edited:

1gr8eg8

This is what the ccw manual says about chl's and i cant seem to find a chl app. on the Montgomery county sheriffs site

As of Sept.30,2011, concealed handgun licensees are no longer required to carry handguns in any particular manner in a motor vehicle. However, you should carry it safely and securely. The handgun should be carried so it is not accessible to unauthorized persons. If you are planning on carrying a concealed handgun while driving, have your concealed carry license and another piece of valid government identification in your possession.

not sure what this means as far as the gun being loaded or having a loaded mag.

Last edited:

ZeroC

As of Sept.30,2011, concealed handgun licensees are no longer required to carry handguns in any particular manner in a motor vehicle. However, you should carry it safely and securely. The handgun should be carried so it is not accessible to unauthorized persons. If you are planning on carrying a concealed handgun while driving, have your concealed carry license and another piece of valid government identification in your possession.

not sure what this means as far as the gun being loaded or having a loaded mag.

That is if you HAVE a CHL.

1gr8eg8

How is it only if you have a chl when it clearly states "Concealed handgun licensees are No longer required to carry handguns in any particular manner in a motor vehicle". Please clarify how you come to this conclusion.

sorry my fault i read licenses not licensee's.:banghead:

Last edited:

Noel Avenelle

From ORC 2923.16

(B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.

(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(5) Divisions (B) and (C) of this section do not apply to a person who transports or possesses a handgun in a motor vehicle if, at the time of that transportation or possession, both of the following apply:

(a) The person transporting or possessing the handgun is carrying a valid license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun issued to the person under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code.

(b) The person transporting or possessing the handgun is not knowingly in a place described in division (B) of section 2923.126 of the Revised Code.

Last edited:

Hareuhal

How is it only if you have a chl when it clearly states "Concealed handgun licensees are No longer required to carry handguns in any particular manner in a motor vehicle". Please clarify how you come to this conclusion.

sorry my fault i read licenses not licensee's.:banghead:

"Concealed handgun licensees are No longer required to carry handguns in any particular manner in a motor vehicle"

There used to be laws that you had to carry them (WITH A CHL) in a specific manner. I don't remember what they were (this was before I started carrying), but now the law says you can, with a CHL, carry however you want in a vehicle, so long as it is safe and secured from access by others. AKA, if you have your girlfriend in the vehicle, don't have it in the glovebox unless she has a CHL. It has to be in an area (such as on you) that only YOU can access it. If you are alone, you can have it in the glovebox, under the seat, on you, in the back, etc.

Without a CHL, you need to completely disarm. Unload the magazine from the weapon, unload the ammo from the magazine.

Edit: Just noticed you had edited your post - I didn't notice until after I posted this. I'll leave this here in case someone else needs the information.

Last edited: