• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

selling/trading.

Brian D.

I'm assuming by "private dealer" you meant a non-FFL holder, in other words a gun-owning individual. If that's the case then no, you can't buy from said individual if the two of you reside in different states.

There's more to it than that, it would benefit you to do some research on the BATFE's website, or discusssions of federal firearm sales law held on reputable forum boards like this one.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
You can only purchase a firearm from an individual in Ky since Ky is your state of residence. If you lived in IN you could purchase a firearm through a private sale if Indiana law allows it. You can purchase Long guns, or Handguns from anyone in Ky as long as you are over 18 and not a felon. I would make sure it isn't stolen first though. If I don't personally know the person I am going to buy from I contact a deputy with the Sheriff's department and have him run the Serial number.

davidmcbeth

Banned
im wondering if you can sell or buy from a private dealer in Indiana or does everything have to be in your state

You can, it just needs to go through dealers ... see information on various gun auction sites to find dealers who can accommodate you.

Its bogus of course, but that's the current way to do it.

Manzanita

I thought you could directly purchase face-to-face a long gun from neighboring states (except, maybe, the peoples' republic of illinois), just not a handgun. It seems like I remember a KRS mentioning that. Of course, I have seen it on the ATF website.

Be right back... I'll see if I can find it.

ETA: Found it.
Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

Last edited:

09jisaac

Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

The bold part basically means a license gun store.

Manzanita

Yep. It's the paragraph above the one I quoted that's also relevant. Would have to be purchased from an FFL holder. "Private dealer" in the OP threw me off, too.

09jisaac

Yep. It's the paragraph above the one I quoted that's also relevant. Would have to be purchased from an FFL holder. "Private dealer" in the OP threw me off, too.

Of course, it threw us all off. It seems to be a mix between a "private individual" and a "firearm dealer". I guess most of us thought "private" was the important word.
Regardless of his intent, your cite provided the information he needs.