• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Australia Opposition Leader Tony Abbot says Australia's defence spending is too low.

Haz.

Abbott maintains US has defence concerns From: AAP July 27, 2012 11:52AM

OPPOSITION Leader Tony Abbott says officials in the US really are concerned Australia's defence spending is too low.
But he declined to say exactly what officials told him during his recent visit to north America.

"It's my rule, a very firm rule, not to spill my guts on the contents of private conversations," Mr Abbott told reporters in Sydney on Friday.

"But we know from the statements of the former deputy secretary (of) state Richard Armitage that the Americans are concerned about it.

"He's put that on the record."

Defence Minister Stephen Smith has said the US isn't concerned about the level of defence spending, which was cut by $5.5 billion over four years in the 2012/13 budget.

"The defence minister wasn't listening to the same people that I was listening to in the United States, if that's what he's saying," Mr Abbott said.

The opposition was highly critical of the May budget cuts, saying it would reduce defence spending to 1.6 per cent of gross domestic product (GDP) - a level not seen since 1938.

Mr Armitage has suggested Australia's spending cuts exploit its close relationship with the US and risk its credibility as an ally.

Mr Abbott also rejected federal government claims he talked Australia down while in the US, and during a subsequent visit to China.

"What I always do is put forward what I think is a clear and strong Australian position," he said.

"My fundamental position is that we are a great country, an outstanding country, our best days are absolutely ahead of us but we are a great country let down by a bad government."

Jack House

They wouldn't have to spend so much if they'd just allow citizens to own guns.

You should run for office, Haz. Your platform could be that you plan on lowering taxes by first lowering government spending while increasing the rights of citizens!
047.gif