• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling to Milwaukee tonight! As in 30 min from now!

DWCook

Activist Member
I am traveling from good old Johnson County, Kansas to good old Wisconsin! Driving straight 9.5 hours non stop to get to a wedding lol! Considering I drove from Kansas to Anchorage, Alaska, this shouldn't be too bad of a drive. Hope it goes well, like no flat tires or car problems! Hopefully the deer will be nice and not run into my car during the night of driving.

Oh I also will be carrying my trusty Glock35 .40 Cal with me for the trip, got my conceal license so I'm good!

Last edited:

TyGuy

Did you like being a victim in IL? It stinks still living there, but change is on the way.

AaronS

Well welcome to our State. I hope you enjoy your stay.

I would try to go see the Lake when you get into town. Afrer all, you won't be in Kansas anymore!

davidmcbeth

Banned
Did you like being a victim in IL? It stinks still living there, but change is on the way.

I lived in IL ... many people carried in the county I lived in & the PDs do nothing about it.

Change is on the way .. oh no, not a doubling of the income tax again. Hope that's not the change you're expecting lol.

All of Illinois gun restrictions were meant to subjugate the black population of cook county; at least that is what old man Daley told me back in the late 60's.

TyGuy

You are superior to Daleks in one aspect.....dying.

Anywho, no not our horrible taxes (another discussion), but we will finally get the ability to carry soon in IL, at least that is the hope of many here because of the court cases and legislation pending. I hope my change will be to move sometime in the next 3 to 5 years.

AaronS

Johnson County... isn't that the KC area?
I've made that drive many times myself.
According to www.handgunlaw.us your KS license is honored by WI.
Just watch out for school zones.

You bring up a good point for out of state CCL holders.

As I understand, any out of state CCL still have the 1000 foot school zone issue. Fed law I guess...

I must add that I have yet to hear of a case, but it could happen. That is, if I understand it correctly...

RR_Broccoli

You bring up a good point for out of state CCL holders.

As I understand, any out of state CCL still have the 1000 foot school zone issue. Fed law I guess...

I must add that I have yet to hear of a case, but it could happen. That is, if I understand it correctly...

The federal law still applies to all of us. The state (and therefore the local popo) don't enforce federal law. If you are unlucky enough to encounter FBI or something on a roadside stop, you may still be at risk.

The state exemption for CCW holders in GFSZ applies to all holders, even out of state ones. That information came from a thread here way back when the law was being created so your results may vary.

He's GTG on GFSZ. Though, the idea of traveling through IL would make me nervous. Their state police, as I understand it are not typically sympathetic, and that's what you'll be encountering on the way through if you have LEO contact.

MKEgal

RR_Broccoli said:
The federal law still applies to all of us.
Right.

The state exemption for CCW holders in GFSZ applies to all holders, even out of state ones.
It's in state law, yes, but federal law says that a person has to have a license issued by the state in which the school is to be protected from legal harm.
Federal law also says that in order to have a license from a state, a LEA in that state has to do a background check.
The laws seriously need to be changed.
Make them like driving laws - everyone honors everyone else's license.

Law abider

.[/QUOTE]

MKE I like the quote from proverbs. Oh by the way when you enter Wisconsin make sure you have a laser measurer to make sure you are 1000ft from GFSZs. Need to stop and measure before proceeding. Have a safe trip.

MKEgal

Law abider said:
when you enter Wisconsin make sure you have a laser measurer to make sure you are 1000ft from GFSZs.
I believe it's actually better (from a criminal defense point of view) if you don't make any effort to know where schools are.
Follow me here...
The law requires 'knowingly' being too close. *
Measuring means that you knew or should have known how far you were from a school.

Isn't that part of the argument they used against the guy who was riding his bike in (IIRC) Green Bay?
He admitted he'd measured to see where the restricted areas were,
but the city measured 2 or 3 times as part of preparing a case against him, & when even they couldn't come to an agreement about where the invisible line was the judge dismissed the case.

* 948.605 (2) (a)
Any individual who knowingly possesses a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is in or on the grounds of a school is guilty of a Class I felony.
Any individual who knowingly possesses a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is within 1,000 feet of the grounds of a school is subject to a Class B forfeiture.

DWCook

Activist Member
I got back sunday night, must say I enjoyed myself in Milwaukee! I love Harley Davisons, saw TONS of them! Knowing its the birth place of Harley, I expected it. But the wedding was held at the Knights of Columbus? I might have named that wrong, but its close to highway 100 and the Super8 Hotel. I came up during the German Fest and Brewers game......it was HELL getting through downtown! Over all, trip was fun!