• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Georgia- Need Info on Permitless Car Carry

Jake8x7

Activist Member
Greetings,

I am spending 10 days in Georgia on vacation. I will be driving from Florida. I am well versed in the ways of having handguns in my car in FL without a permit, but I am extremely confused about Georgia. According to GeorgiaCarry, a permit is not needed to CC/OC in your car as long as "you are eligible for a Georgia Weapons Permit"? Correct me if that statement is wrong, but if it is correct, am I not eligible because I'm out-of-state as Georgia doesnt issue non-res permits? I'm also 19...does that make me "ineligible" and therefore not allowed to CC/OC in my vehicle when traveling throughout the state? I found my information here: http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/geo...d-questions/#I_Do_Not_Have_a_Firearms_License

Please correct me and tell me what I need to know (whether it's legal or not; if it's illegal what are the manners in which I can have my firearms that allows me the most readily accessible protection without breaking the law, etc)

and I already know you need a permit to OC handguns in your state, I just want to see what my options are for home/car

Much thanks,

Jake8x7

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

"A license issued under code 16-11-129 is a Georgia Weapons Carry License (formerly the Georgia Firearms License) and it is issued citizens wishing to exercise their "right to carry". This license is subject to restrictions of carry found in Georgia code 16-11-126 - 16-11-129. To qualify for this license you must NOT meet any of these exceptions; No license will be granted to:
Any person under 21 years of age...
"

Ok, so you're not eligible to have a Georgia Weapons License.

However -
"If you are not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm you may carry a handgun provided it is unloaded and enclosed inside a case (There is nothing that defines exactly what unloaded means, to be on the safe side you should assume it means no loaded magazine inserted into the gun)." should apply.

and (which you linked to above)
"Q: I don’t have a Georgia Weapons License. Can I carry in my car?
A: Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license. In addition, such person may carry a long gun, which must be carried openly if loaded. Moreover, such person may carry in his or her own motor vehicle. Finally, if such person is eligible for a Georgia Weapons License, he or she may carry in any private passenger motor vehicle."

You aren't prohibited from possession (you are 18 or above)
You are ineligible for a GWL (you are under 21)

To be absolutely safe, I'd "transport" inside a case without a loaded magazine. (but that's just me)

Last edited:

mark5019

"A license issued under code 16-11-129 is a Georgia Weapons Carry License (formerly the Georgia Firearms License) and it is issued citizens wishing to exercise their "right to carry". This license is subject to restrictions of carry found in Georgia code 16-11-126 - 16-11-129. To qualify for this license you must NOT meet any of these exceptions; No license will be granted to:
Any person under 21 years of age...
"

Ok, so you're not eligible to have a Georgia Weapons License.

However -
"If you are not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm you may carry a handgun provided it is unloaded and enclosed inside a case (There is nothing that defines exactly what unloaded means, to be on the safe side you should assume it means no loaded magazine inserted into the gun)." should apply.

and (which you linked to above)
"Q: I don’t have a Georgia Weapons License. Can I carry in my car?
A: Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license. In addition, such person may carry a long gun, which must be carried openly if loaded. Moreover, such person may carry in his or her own motor vehicle. Finally, if such person is eligible for a Georgia Weapons License, he or she may carry in any private passenger motor vehicle."

You aren't prohibited from possession (you are 18 or above)
You are ineligible for a GWL (you are under 21)

To be absolutely safe, I'd "transport" inside a case without a loaded magazine. (but that's just me)

well put

Jake8x7

Activist Member
So unloaded but loaded magazine in the case with the gun? About to pass into Georgia

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Jake8x7

Activist Member

But mark, now that I re-read it, it seems like you can carry in YOUR motor vehicle without a permit, regardless of eligibility, but at the end where it talks about eligibility it says ANY motor vehicle. Would that indicate that I might have car carry rights if I'm driving my vehicle, but not a buddys car?

bohica_a_a

While all the input here is with the best intentions your best bet is to give a call to the Georgia state police and ask. Is probably the only way for sure to find out. As a gun owner it is your responsibility to know the laws. ignorance of the local laws is not an excuse. Just my 2 cents.

Fallschirjmäger

Please don't take offense but.... the absolute last people I'd ask for an opinion on the legality of anything other than a traffic infraction would be the local constabulary, or even the state.
They are under no legal, moral, or ethical compulsion to tell you the truth.
They suffer no ill for giving bad advice, or even for outright lying should it suit them to do so.

There Are officers who know the law and who will tell you what the law says even when it may not be in their best interests to so do, but that's not something I'd count on.

Jake8x7

Activist Member
Please don't take offense but.... the absolute last people I'd ask for an opinion on the legality of anything other than a traffic infraction would be the local constabulary, or even the state.
They are under no legal, moral, or ethical compulsion to tell you the truth.
They suffer no ill for giving bad advice, or even for outright lying should it suit them to do so.

There Are officers who know the law and who will tell you what the law says even when it may not be in their best interests to so do, but that's not something I'd count on.

Complete truth. The statute says no permit or permit eligibility to carry in my house or MY car, but eligbility for permit is needed to carry in any other private motorized vehicle. I'll go with that

rmodel65

i dont know how often you come to GA but you could get a maine ccw(issue at 18) then get a new hampshire(ssues as long as you have a permit from any other state) and be able to carry in Georgia on your person openly or concealed..

Jake8x7

Activist Member
Thank you for pointing it out. I have considered getting a maine permit but never thought of using it to acquire one from New Hampshire. Unfortunately I don't leave the state enough for it to matter, and the two states I do frequent wouldn't accept it (Ohio and Florida, but I could be wrong about new Hampshire's reciprocity), and Ohio allows permitless OC so its sort of a moot point. Thanks anyways for pointing out options.

Jake8x7

Jake8x7

Activist Member
Don't mean to repost but wanted to rethink your proposal. Both permits would be invalid in FL because they don't accept non-res permits...and Ohio allows permitless OC, so not worth over 100$ in total for the ability to carry 1 year early in states I won't visit anytime soon. You got me excited about FL reciprocity but I remembered their resident rule...what a bummer. Thanks again and take it easy.

Jake8x7

Matthias

Dude, You will be fine traveling with the gun in your car. You can have it loaded, unloaded, concealed, hidden. Georgia Law states that a vehicle is an extension of your home. You will be fine, there.

Matthias

Title 16 - CRIMES AND OFFENSES
Chapter 3 - DEFENSES TO CRIMINAL PROSECUTIONS
Article 2 - JUSTIFICATION AND EXCUSE

The code sections are all Copyright © 2011 by The State of Georgia

O.C.G.A.§ 16-3-24.1
Habitation and personal property defined

As used in Code Sections 16-3-23 and 16-3-24, the term "habitation" means any dwelling, motor vehicle, or place of business, and "personal property" means personal property other than a motor vehicle.

HISTORY: Code 1981, § 16-3-24.1, enacted by Ga. L. 1998, p. 1153, § 1.1.

Title 16 - CRIMES AND OFFENSES
Chapter 11 - OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER AND SAFETY
Article 4 - DANGEROUS INSTRUMENTALITIES AND PRACTICES
Part 3 - CARRYING AND POSSESSION OF FIREARMS

O.C.G.A.§ 16-11-126
Having or carrying handguns, long guns, or other weapons; license requirement; exceptions for homes, motor vehicles, and other locations and conditions; penalties for violations

(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

(b) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a long gun without a valid weapons carry license, provided that if the long gun is loaded, it shall only be carried in an open and fully exposed manner.

(c) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry any handgun provided that it is enclosed in a case and unloaded.

(d) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun who is eligible for a weapons carry license may transport a handgun or long gun in any private passenger motor vehicle; provided, however, that private property owners or persons in legal control of property through a lease, rental agreement, licensing agreement, contract, or any other agreement to control access to such property shall have the right to forbid possession of a weapon or long gun on their property, except as provided in Code Section 16-11-135.

(e) Any person licensed to carry a handgun or weapon in any other state whose laws recognize and give effect to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a weapon in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such licensee shall carry the weapon in compliance with the laws of this state.

(f) Any person with a valid hunting or fishing license on his or her person, or any person not required by law to have a hunting or fishing license, who is engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the person has the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted may have or carry on his or her person a handgun or long gun without a valid weapons carry license while hunting, fishing, or engaging in sport shooting.

(g) Notwithstanding Code Sections 12-3-10, 27-3-1.1, 27-3-6, and 16-12-122 through 16-12-127, any person with a valid weapons carry license may carry a weapon in all parks, historic sites, or recreational areas, as such term is defined in Code Section 12-3-10, including all publicly owned buildings located in such parks, historic sites, and recreational areas, in wildlife management areas, and on public transportation; provided, however, that a person shall not carry a handgun into a place where it is prohibited by federal law.

(h) (1) No person shall carry a weapon without a valid weapons carry license unless he or she meets one of the exceptions to having such license as provided in subsections (a) through (g) of this Code section.

(2) A person commits the offense of carrying a weapon without a license when he or she violates the provisions of paragraph (1) of this subsection.

(i) Upon conviction of the offense of carrying a weapon without a valid weapons carry license, a person shall be punished as follows:

(1) For the first offense, he or she shall be guilty of a misdemeanor; and

(2) For the second offense within five years, as measured from the dates of previous arrests for which convictions were obtained to the date of the current arrest for which a conviction is obtained, and for any subsequent offense, he or she shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be imprisoned for not less than two years and not more than five years.

HISTORY: Laws 1837, Cobb's 1851 Digest, pp. 848, 849; Ga. L. 1851-52, p. 269, §§ 1-3; Code 1863, § 4413; Ga. L. 1865-66, p. 233, §§ 1, 2; Code 1868, § 4454; Code 1873, § 4527; Ga. L. 1882-83, p. 48, § 1; Code 1882, § 4527; Ga. L. 1898, p. 60, § 1; Penal Code 1895, § 341; Penal Code 1910, § 347; Code 1933, § 26-5101; Code 1933, § 26-2901, enacted by Ga. L. 1968, p. 1249, § 1; Ga. L. 1976, p. 1430, § 1; Ga. L. 1982, p. 3, § 16; Ga. L. 1992, p. 6, § 16; Ga. L. 1996, p. 108, § 1; Ga. L. 1998, p. 1153, § 1; Ga. L. 2000, p. 1630, § 3; Ga. L. 2007, p. 47, § 16/SB 103; Ga. L. 2008, p. 533, § 3/SB 366; Ga. L. 2008, p. 1199, § 3/HB 89; Ga. L. 2009, p. 8, § 16/SB 46; Ga. L. 2010, p. 963, § 1-2/SB 308.

O.C.G.A.§ 16-3-23
Use of force in defense of habitation

A person is justified in threatening or using force against another when and to the extent that he or she reasonably believes that such threat or force is necessary to prevent or terminate such other's unlawful entry into or attack upon a habitation; however, such person is justified in the use of force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm only if:

(1) The entry is made or attempted in a violent and tumultuous manner and he or she reasonably believes that the entry is attempted or made for the purpose of assaulting or offering personal violence to any person dwelling or being therein and that such force is necessary to prevent the assault or offer of personal violence;

(2) That force is used against another person who is not a member of the family or household and who unlawfully and forcibly enters or has unlawfully and forcibly entered the residence and the person using such force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry occurred; or

(3) The person using such force reasonably believes that the entry is made or attempted for the purpose of committing a felony therein and that such force is necessary to prevent the commission of the felony.

HISTORY: Laws 1833, Cobb's 1851 Digest, p. 785; Code 1863, § 4229; Code 1868, § 4266; Code 1873, § 4332; Code 1882, § 4332; Penal Code 1895, § 72; Penal Code 1910, § 72; Code 1933, § 26-1013; Code 1933, § 26-903, enacted by Ga. L. 1968, p. 1249, § 1; Ga. L. 2001, p. 1247, § 2.

Georgia is very good on allowing people to carry in their vehicles. I hope this helps. The last law is posted to show such an example that Georgia defines the Habitat in the first law mentioned and refers to as "Dwelling" or "Habitation".

Last edited:

Kingfish

(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.
How does this equate to car being an extension of your home? This simply states you may have an otherwise legal firearm in your car.

Matthias

Ok so I will point it out.

O.C.G.A.§ 16-3-24.1
Habitation and personal property defined

As used in Code Sections 16-3-23 and 16-3-24, the term "habitation" means any dwelling, motor vehicle, or place of business, and "personal property" means personal property other than a motor vehicle.

HISTORY: Code 1981, § 16-3-24.1, enacted by Ga. L. 1998, p. 1153, § 1.1.

Many things aren't "said" in plain text in the law. I would have to dig deep for court cases where the judge has stated that. Call up any police station and they will tell you the same thing as well.

http://www.wltz.com/story/16533567/columbus-resident-shoots-home-invader

Mayor of columbus stating it as well.

Last edited:

rmodel65

while a popular notion that the car is an extension of the home its not a legal one

Kingfish

while a popular notion that the car is an extension of the home its not a legal one
Very true. Regardless of what a mayor says. If the Columbus mayor were to have any credibility then the unlawful and unenforceable firearm ordinances currently on the books in Columbus would have been removed long ago.