Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lansing Gun Buyback IE a fool and his money

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar

Lansing Gun Buyback IE a fool and his money

http://www.wlns.com/story/19103523/g...-moving-slowly

guys, i'm thinking we should do something to punk lansing in a big way. similar to what happened here:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-nra-gun-camp/

i am thinking of posting on the MGO forum to garner donations of beat up rifles from anyone willing to part with them.
    we need to come up with a plan for what we will do with the money we collect. if they are giving out target and meijer gift cards i would be willing to buy at least a couple of the cards at face value because we need to figure out a way to turn the cards into cash. i think we could find enough people that shop at meijer anyway, who would be willing to do the same.
    the next question would be what to do with the funds. i'm thinking donate the money to a lansing area firearms instructor to be able to subsidize low income individuals CPL training.
    i'm just throwing out ideas here, so i welcome suggestions.
    Last edited by smellslikemichigan; 07-27-2012 at 10:07 AM.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

$16 raised! Ha!

I think the methane gas generated from my excrement in the past two weeks has garnered more $.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    $16 raised! Ha!

I think the methane gas generated from my excrement in the past two weeks has garnered more $.
    TMI man, TMI
    Want to keep informed of Open Carry events in your area? Go to www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

For Drama free gun rights discussion, see http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/

Banned
    $16 raised! Ha!

That's why the natural gas prices have been dropping! How's the continuum (sp?)?

Even if the cards can't be turned into cash, ammo could still be bought at meijer and could go towards training, etc....
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

Quote Originally Posted by HKcarrier View Post
    Even if the cards can't be turned into cash, ammo could still be bought at meijer and could go towards training, etc....
    From the article:
    There are other questions to answer: where to hold the gun buyback and how to ensure that $100 grocery giftcard at Meijer or Target is used only on food.

Meijer for example, sells gun accessories.
    Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

I would be interested in buying a Meijer card for face value as well.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    How's the continuum (sp?)?
    we are expanding into the natural resources business. Omnipotence is getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    From the article:

Bronson
    i don't think meijer sells any "food only" gift cards so it wouldn't matter anyway. but i think we could get people to buy them at face value anyway, especially for a good cause

I wonder if you could stand outside the 'buy back' with cash and see if you can pick up some great bargains!!
    Lower the crime rate by lowering the criminal survival rate!
    When people say 'God Bless America' I'm sure He says, "I gave you Texas!"

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mark-in-texas View Post
    I wonder if you could stand outside the 'buy back' with cash and see if you can pick up some great bargains!!
    Actually it's been done already by Dougdwg, lapeer20m & others at a gun buyback in Detroit. Dougwg left with a fine Hi-Point "Assault Rifle" capable of holding TEN rounds in the magazine!!! The children, run, run it's a law-abiding citizen with a MACHINE GUN.... *Sarcasm off/*

Here's video of DPD getting their panties in a twist over it.

Last edited by Glock9mmOldStyle; 07-27-2012 at 08:32 PM. Reason: video
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

haha, i'll make sure i have my license to "buy and sell" before i go

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    haha, i'll make sure i have my license to "buy and sell" before i go
    Wow that cop is a total DICK! "Shut up! Shut your trap!" Wow someone needs to be issued a ticket for obstructing peaceful citizen. They were too dumb to understand the workings of a RI-60.
    Last edited by TheShadow; 07-27-2012 at 09:02 PM. Reason: SLM caught my typo - thanks sir :)

it's an RI-60, but they didn't even need them because they were only buying rifles. no handguns.

we are expanding into the natural resources business. Omnipotence is getting old.
    Omnigaseousness is more fun.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    http://www.wlns.com/story/19103523/g...-moving-slowly

guys, i'm thinking we should do something to punk lansing in a big way. similar to what happened here:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-nra-gun-camp/

i am thinking of posting on the MGO forum to garner donations of beat up rifles from anyone willing to part with them.
    we need to come up with a plan for what we will do with the money we collect. if they are giving out target and meijer gift cards i would be willing to buy at least a couple of the cards at face value because we need to figure out a way to turn the cards into cash. i think we could find enough people that shop at meijer anyway, who would be willing to do the same.
    the next question would be what to do with the funds. i'm thinking donate the money to a lansing area firearms instructor to be able to subsidize low income individuals CPL training.
    i'm just throwing out ideas here, so i welcome suggestions.
    As an instructor, I would not be opposed to going to Lansing to do some classes, the issue with your idea is how to judge if they are really "low income". If there is actually enough interest in this I can do a class, but I'll leave it to someone else to judge "low income". (Basically, the way I would do it, is you pay me (a reduced rate if you have enough people), and I'll give you vouchers for seats, and I'll train whoever brings me a voucher, but it's up to you to send those vouchers to the right people.) It's up to you to organize, but if you get enough interest, let me know.
    Last edited by Small_Arms_Collector; 07-28-2012 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Small_Arms_Collector View Post
    As an instructor, I would not be opposed to going to Lansing to do some classes, the issue with your idea is how to judge if they are really "low income". If there is actually enough interest in this I can do a class, but I'll leave it to someone else to judge "low income". (Basically, the way I would do it, is you pay me (a reduced rate if you have enough people), and I'll give you vouchers for seats, and I'll train whoever brings me a voucher, but it's up to you to send those vouchers to the right people.) It's up to yo to organize, but if you get enough interest, let me know.
    that sounds good. i guess we could just offer the vouchers to anyone with the hopes that those who could afford the training would have already payed for it. i don't think that there are many people out there who have both the desire to carry, and the money to, that are not already licensed.
    Last edited by smellslikemichigan; 07-27-2012 at 10:31 PM.

Banned
    A couple of my friends used to shoplift, then return the items, because without a receipt they could get a gift card. They would then approach the customers and ask if they could sell the card at a discounted rate or percentage, and keep the cash. Sometimes it took an hour, but someone always bought the card.

in what universe is that relevant to the topic at hand?

Banned
    You'll need a starship. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlA7fm9SzBM

Just suggesting a proven method of turning cards into cash.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    A couple of my friends used to shoplift...
    You don't appear to choose your friends wisely.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    You don't appear to choose your friends wisely.
    I was kind of thinking along the same lines but don't want to be accused of picking on him.
    Want to keep informed of Open Carry events in your area? Go to www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

For Drama free gun rights discussion, see http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/

Banned
    I dont know these people anymore, it's been a long time.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar
    Thread de-railing hopefully behind us, let's work together to make this event out for what it is - nonsense!

Maybe some half way decent arms can be put where they belong - in the hands of law-abiding citizens for protection.

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both!

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    I dont know these people anymore, it's been a long time.
    If you run into them in the future advise them that a Retail Fraud conviction along with other larcenies will disqualify them from getting a CPL for 3 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast