Thread: Holster for High Standard Crusader

Holster for High Standard Crusader

I have a High Standard Crusader that I would like to open carry however when looking for a holster the choices are, or seem to be, very limited. I know that there are people here that are extremely knowledgable and I hope that I can glean some of that knowledge now. THe Crusader for those who don't know is a 1911 with a 3.5 inch barrel. What holster do you suggest? when trying to find one on Safariland website there was none available.

It will fit any 1911 holster and there are ones specifically for that barrel length.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Quote Originally Posted by autosurgeon View Post
    there are ones specifically for that barrel length.
    such as? I would rather buy a holster that is actually made for the shorter barrel than a holster that is set up for the 5" barrel

I think that length is generally known as the commander length. So look for holsters made for the commander size 1911.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by autosurgeon View Post
    I think that length is generally known as the commander length.
    His barrel is shorter than Commander length, it is Officer length.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams
    Wheels

ATM I have a Uncle Mike holster that might work for open carry EXCEPT it has no retention feature other than tightening the screw so it is harder to draw. and it is made for a full sized 1911

Look for Colt officer's model. That should work....but don't quote me on that.

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/...?TxtModelID=82

You could always go leather with a retention strap.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

I had a Serpa for a commander length 1911. It's only 3/4 of an inch longer than the gun. It bugged me so I cut it off but I stopped using the Serpa for the opposite reason that most people do. Instead of jamming up and keeping the gun forever locked in the holster mine stopped locking the gun in place so it went away.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Bronson's suggestion appears to be a good one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGi0JZS4XUU
    Think Free or Serve. Live Free or Die.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Look for Colt officer's model. That should work....but don't quote me on that.

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/...?TxtModelID=82

You could always go leather with a retention strap.

Bronson
    I have a version of the CarryLok; can't recommend it.

I'm using the Black Widow for all my 1911s

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/...p?TxtModelID=5
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    ATM I have a Uncle Mike holster that might work for open carry EXCEPT it has no retention feature other than tightening the screw so it is harder to draw. and it is made for a full sized 1911
    GRPD tried to yank my G23 out of one made for my Glock. Six or seven pulls and the officer was still unsuccessful. Not the best, but I see no inherent problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    I have a version of the CarryLok; can't recommend it.
    Being someone who has never used one, I'm curious why you don't like them.

As is, the biggest concern I'd know to have would be the obvious nature of the release button.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    GRPD tried to yank my G23 out of one made for my Glock. Six or seven pulls and the officer was still unsuccessful. Not the best, but I see no inherent problem with it.
    I just got a freebie Galco paddle for my G20 from a friend. Been carrying it around to experiment.

I also tried a bunch of practice draws. In one position and only one time, drawing it while sitting on a stool, the teeth on the paddle failed, and the whole holster came out. Otherwise I can't substantially fault it.

I can see a very good argument for them, including lower risk OC, so long as the carrier is in a fairly safe area and knows what he or she is doing. I agree, not the best, but it'll do if it has to, especially if the tension is kept suitably tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    I just got a freebie Galco paddle for my G20 from a friend. Been carrying it around to experiment.

I also tried a bunch of practice draws. In one position and only one time, drawing it while sitting on a stool, the teeth on the paddle failed, and the whole holster came out. Otherwise I can't substantially fault it.

I can see a very good argument for them, including lower risk OC, so long as the carrier is in a fairly safe area and knows what he or she is doing. I agree, not the best, but it'll do if it has to, especially if the tension is kept suitably tight.
    As I recall, the position the holster is in, ie 3 o'clock, 4 o'clock, etc is the determining factor... and for everyone it is different. Like I said, I have no inherent problem with these holsters for oc. Just like any holster, time and place of carry may lead one to choose one particular holster or style of carry over another.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    Being someone who has never used one, I'm curious why you don't like them.

As is, the biggest concern I'd know to have would be the obvious nature of the release button.
    I just prefer the thumb break of the Black widow style. Probably just because I'm used to it; I'm an old fashioned guy, I guess....

By the same token, I prefer Garands over Stoners, and steel Brownings over plastic anything, and old shotguns.

Yup, I'm a geezer!
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)