• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster for High Standard Crusader

Raggs

I have a High Standard Crusader that I would like to open carry however when looking for a holster the choices are, or seem to be, very limited. I know that there are people here that are extremely knowledgable and I hope that I can glean some of that knowledge now. THe Crusader for those who don't know is a 1911 with a 3.5 inch barrel. What holster do you suggest? when trying to find one on Safariland website there was none available.

Raggs

ATM I have a Uncle Mike holster that might work for open carry EXCEPT it has no retention feature other than tightening the screw so it is harder to draw. and it is made for a full sized 1911

Bronson

I had a Serpa for a commander length 1911. It's only 3/4 of an inch longer than the gun. It bugged me so I cut it off but I stopped using the Serpa for the opposite reason that most people do. Instead of jamming up and keeping the gun forever locked in the holster mine stopped locking the gun in place so it went away.

Bronson

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
ATM I have a Uncle Mike holster that might work for open carry EXCEPT it has no retention feature other than tightening the screw so it is harder to draw. and it is made for a full sized 1911

GRPD tried to yank my G23 out of one made for my Glock. Six or seven pulls and the officer was still unsuccessful. Not the best, but I see no inherent problem with it.

Michigander

GRPD tried to yank my G23 out of one made for my Glock. Six or seven pulls and the officer was still unsuccessful. Not the best, but I see no inherent problem with it.

I just got a freebie Galco paddle for my G20 from a friend. Been carrying it around to experiment.

I also tried a bunch of practice draws. In one position and only one time, drawing it while sitting on a stool, the teeth on the paddle failed, and the whole holster came out. Otherwise I can't substantially fault it.

I can see a very good argument for them, including lower risk OC, so long as the carrier is in a fairly safe area and knows what he or she is doing. I agree, not the best, but it'll do if it has to, especially if the tension is kept suitably tight.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I just got a freebie Galco paddle for my G20 from a friend. Been carrying it around to experiment.

I also tried a bunch of practice draws. In one position and only one time, drawing it while sitting on a stool, the teeth on the paddle failed, and the whole holster came out. Otherwise I can't substantially fault it.

I can see a very good argument for them, including lower risk OC, so long as the carrier is in a fairly safe area and knows what he or she is doing. I agree, not the best, but it'll do if it has to, especially if the tension is kept suitably tight.

As I recall, the position the holster is in, ie 3 o'clock, 4 o'clock, etc is the determining factor... and for everyone it is different. Like I said, I have no inherent problem with these holsters for oc. Just like any holster, time and place of carry may lead one to choose one particular holster or style of carry over another.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Being someone who has never used one, I'm curious why you don't like them.

As is, the biggest concern I'd know to have would be the obvious nature of the release button.

I just prefer the thumb break of the Black widow style. Probably just because I'm used to it; I'm an old fashioned guy, I guess....

By the same token, I prefer Garands over Stoners, and steel Brownings over plastic anything, and old shotguns.

Yup, I'm a geezer!:D