• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Obama partially backpedals on gun control speech while Senate Dems surge ahead

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
While reassuring supporters of gun control that the President “still wants Congress to reinstitute a federal ban on military-style assault weapons,” White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters that the President “will not push for stricter gun laws this election year.” Note that he didn’t promise that President Obama would not make gun control a centerpiece of any second term, only that he would not push for it “this election year.“

But Senate Democrats apparently didn’t get the memo that gun control is failed public policy. Despite admonishments from Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid that “the Senate’s schedule is too packed to even have a debate on gun control,” the usual suspects were quick to pounce.

Excerpt ... Read more at http://monachuslex.com/?p=1401

Beretta92FSLady

Basically, there are Senators--as we all know--that are for the AWB.

President Obama not taking on any sort of Firearm Politics at this juncture of the campaign season makes sense. I will point out that the AWB was under Clinton, he signed it, and he got a second term. I am of the opinion that relating the Democrats major loss post AWB gives much credit where it's not due. Democrats didn't lose primarily because of the AWB, IMO.

If anything there are man anti-firearm types that would be more than happy to get to the polls to vote for President Obama, if he came out and stated that he was seeking to push such a policy. He wouldn't though, since the House is an insurmountable hurdle, and the Senate has a majority of Democrats, and Republicans who have no interest in pushing that sort of an agenda.

Jack House

Basically, there are Senators--as we all know--that are for the AWB.

President Obama not taking on any sort of Firearm Politics at this juncture of the campaign season makes sense. I will point out that the AWB was under Clinton, he signed it, and he got a second term. I am of the opinion that relating the Democrats major loss post AWB gives much credit where it's not due. Democrats didn't lose primarily because of the AWB, IMO.

If anything there are man anti-firearm types that would be more than happy to get to the polls to vote for President Obama, if he came out and stated that he was seeking to push such a policy. He wouldn't though, since the House is an insurmountable hurdle, and the Senate has a majority of Democrats, and Republicans who have no interest in pushing that sort of an agenda.
I guess you're forgetting the massive ground gun rights advocates have gained in the last 20 years. :rolleyes:

God, I feel old. :cry:

Gil223

While reassuring supporters of gun control that the President “still wants Congress to reinstitute a federal ban on military-style assault weapons,” White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters that the President “will not push for stricter gun laws this election year.” Note that he didn’t promise that President Obama would not make gun control a centerpiece of any second term, only that he would not push for it “this election year.“

Obama believes, as do many of the ignorant masses, that any semi-automatic firearm is a "military-style assault weapon", even though none meet the technical definition of a select-fire weapon capable of fully-automatic function. This jeopardizes the ARs/ASs/AKs in particular, because to the casual, unfamiliar and unknowing observer they are - appearance-wise - identical to the select-fire, fully-automatic military weapons... which makes them "military-style" even though they are not technically "assault weapons". Technicalities of that type tend to get lost in political (and legislative) translations.

Obama, although completely ineffectual as a leader, is not a stupid man. He has his own agenda, and he's working it to the fullest. Of course the Usurper-in-Chief “will not push for stricter gun laws this election year.”, inasmuch as to do so would most probably cost him the election, and he's not yet finished destroying our Republic. Pax...

Last edited: