Thread: WHO needs a gun in a Post Office?

WHO needs a gun in a Post Office?

Gee... It sure is GREAT to be disarmed in a nice, safe, GUN-FREE Criminal-safe zone, isn't it?
    I know Postal Inspectors are authorized to be "armed in the performance of their duties", but has anyone ever met one or even SEEN a Postal Inspector?
    I sure haven't!
    I've never seen any kind of security in a Post Office...

================================================== =====

Police Say Man Stabbed at Silver Spring Post Office Over Cutting in Line

Editor Whitney Teal whitney.teal@patch.com
    From the Colesville Patch

A 58-year-old male was stabbed outside of the U.S. Post Office in Colesville Thursday afternoon. Police say another man mistakenly thought he had cut in line.

A 67-year-old man stabbed a 58-year-old man outside of the United States Post Office in Colesville at 13217 New Hampshire Ave. Thursday because the man thought the victim had cut in line, police said.

Officers were called to the scene at 2:18 p.m. Thursday.

The suspect was waiting in line when he observed the victim step in front of him to complete his business, police said. The victim had previously been working with a postal service employee and had stepped aside to finish some paperwork. He was motioned back to the counter by an employee, police said.

The suspect interpreted the action as cutting in line, police said, and waited outside of the post office under the vestibule for the victim to come outside. When the suspect spotted the victim, he attacked him, police said.

Two female postal workers tried to break up the fight, according to police, and at least one of the employees pepper sprayed the suspect.

“The actions of these employees may have saved the life of, but most definitely assisted in preventing further injury to, the victim,” police officials wrote in a press statement.

Police found the victim suffering from “multiple” stab wounds when they arrived at the scene.

Police found a suspect about a mile away, near the intersection of New Hampshire Avenue and Route 29. His name has not been released because he has not been formally charged.

The victim was transported to a local hospital with serious, but non-life-threatening injuries, according to police.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

This is why I mail UPS, I do not care if its $5 more for a package. The post office can continue to lose money, they won't get my money!
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

I have met a Postal Inspector - he was a nice guy.

Got tired of the amount of junk mail from one distribution outfit and wanted to put a stop to it. Filled out the paperwork complaining that they filled my mailbox with unsolicited sexually oriented matter. Inspector raised his eyebrow at me but I just looked him in the face and told him that <list of junk mail received> aroused purient interest and I did not wish to receive it. I think he knew what I was trying to do, but he had to process my complaint and send notice to rthe distribution outfit that they either take my name off their mailing list or face stiff fines the first two times and prison after that. Guess whose junk mail load went way down?

Has anybody kept up with the folks out in Idaho (?) Wyoming (?) Colorado (?) who filed against the USPS regs because they could only receive mail at the PO (no rural route delivery) and had legitimate wild-animal protection needs? How did that turn out?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    This is why I mail UPS, I do not care if its $5 more for a package. The post office can continue to lose money, they won't get my money!
    Amen to that.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Has anybody kept up with the folks out in Idaho (?) Wyoming (?) Colorado (?) who filed against the USPS regs because they could only receive mail at the PO (no rural route delivery) and had legitimate wild-animal protection needs? How did that turn out?

stay safe.
    Apparently no update for a while. I try to keep up with it from time to time, but it's SLOW.

TFred

http://www.mountainstateslegal.org/l...egalcaseid=231

Bonidy et al v. United States Postal Service et al

PROTECTIVE ORDER re 27 , by Judge Richard P. Matsch on 4/6/2012

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/col...v02408/122068/
    Last edited by oldbanger; 07-28-2012 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbanger View Post
    Bonidy et al v. United States Postal Service et al

PROTECTIVE ORDER re 27 , by Judge Richard P. Matsch on 4/6/2012

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/col...v02408/122068/
    Why is the USPS fighting this? Can't they read the writing on the wall? They're already losing a ton of money on running their business, how can they afford to spend even a dime fighting what will inevitably be a losing battle?

And what are they trying to hide from the public with this protective order? This is really starting to stink.

TFred

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Why is the USPS fighting this? Can't they read the writing on the wall? They're already losing a ton of money on running their business, how can they afford to spend even a dime fighting what will inevitably be a losing battle?

And what are they trying to hide from the public with this protective order? This is really starting to stink.

TFred
    Protective order? Not allowed to come with 500 ft and have no personal contact?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    They're already losing a ton of money on running their business, how can they afford to spend even a dime fighting what will inevitably be a losing battle?

And what are they trying to hide from the public with this protective order?

TFred
    They pay for everything in stamps !

And that protective order? Courts usually don't issue these like cotton candy; someone should ask for the order to be lifted at some point in time. Also, 1/2 the time you go to the courthouse and ask for the hard copy record, they'll hand you anything stamped confidential too! Clerks aren't too concerned most of the time.

I went out of my way to go to FedEx yesterday. Yes I spent an extra $5 to mail it, but I am allowed to carry my gun there.

Postal inspectors, when not sitting behind a desk following leads for mail fraud, identity theft and such, are generally in the observation catwalks of Post Offices out of view and behind one way mirrors. Whenever executing search or arrest warrants, they always collaborate with local law enforcement, which is probably why they mostly go unnoticed.

It's funny - whenever any hunting season starts, the parking lot isn't as full, but the side streets just off Postal property are.

So whatever the USPS wants to designate as "Confidential - For Attorney Eyes Only" cannot even be shared with the plaintiffs? To coin a phrase - that sucks! It may also be the basis of an appeal of an outcome adverse to the plaintiffs on the ground that they were unable to effectively prosecute their complaint. I wonder just how much thought the judge gave to that when deciding to keep the rest of the coumntry from learning about the inner working of the USPS?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by gm2max View Post
    I went out of my way to go to FedEx yesterday. Yes I spent an extra $5 to mail it, but I am allowed to carry my gun there.
    Heck, just flag down a driver for either big company and they'll take what you want wherever you want so long as you've got a paid shipping label.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    Heck, just flag down a driver for either big company and they'll take what you want wherever you want so long as you've got a paid shipping label.
    I've had many overnight shipments by UPS like that. If I didn't make the pickup time I'd have to take the package to the UPS store or their terminal. On the way I'd be "hunting" for brown trucks in hopes of shortening the trip :^).